Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kes_cor

Angel Wing - Pruning...

kes_cor
19 years ago

I took several cuttings of my angel wing begonia's before the weather cooled off. I used oasis and all of them survived. So I have about 8 or so growing in 3" square pots, under grow lights. My question is I need to keep these guys small until next spring. Can I just cut them back? So far, they haven't grown any branches on their own. They are already approaching 12" tall. I thought I read somewhere that, if you prune it back to where a flower stem has come from, the plant will not grow. Is this true?

Comments (11)

• ryanferre
    19 years ago

No--it is a myth! In fact you can infact root a begonia from simply a leaf cutting! Usually done with the Rex Begonias--But even the fibrous rooted--like yours can be done that way--so they will bloom if pruned!

Yes you can in fact keep those guys pruned until spring! I would reccommend that you use those cuttings for more! Try some little experiments on your own like new rooting methods and such! Root some more and give them away for Mothers Day!

I keep several of my begonia pruned--the tend to gett really bushy! YEAH!

Now begonias grow new shoots from where the leaf petiole connects with the stem so try to prune right above one of those points!

Best of luck

Ry

• Begoniac
    19 years ago

1. You cannot root leaves from cane-like begonias. Actually, you can sometimes make them root, but they will never produce a new plant. Other types of begonias, yes, definitely, but not canes (angel wings). Most of us, hearing that it's impossible, have tried it, just to see if we could do it when no one else could. :)

2. ALL begonias are fibrous rooted. I don't know where that distinction originally came from.

3. To clarify the issue of pruning canes, you are partially right about pruning above a node which has flowered. If you prune at that point, the plant won't produce a new shoot from that node, but it will produce shoots from lower nodes which haven't flowered. Look for a leaf bud at the node which will grow in an outward direction. That will give you the best shape.

Additionally, if you make a cutting to root, be sure to bury at least one node with a leaf bud. If you only bury a node that has flowered, the cutting won't have any way to produce new shoots from the soil.

Elizabeth

• ryanferre
    19 years ago

I have had great success--using hormones to promote callus growth--and shoot groth from leaf cutting from "caned" begonias! Yes--I'll admit it doesn't happen as easily as the rex!

I always propagate my Dragon Wings in this way! I can get more plants out of them!

• kes_cor
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm getting so confused! I'm pretty sure I have Angel Wing Begonias. What are the differences between Angelwing and Dragonwing begonias?

• mingtea
    19 years ago

hi ryan,

perhaps you're growing shrub begonias instead? some of them are hard to distinguish from canes. they too have stems with nodes.

kes--
    angelwing and dragonwing are both loose terms that are used to describe many, many begonias...from tuberous to shrub and cane. it helps to know what the specific cultivar/species is that you have, but you'll have luck propagating if you follow elizabeth's directions--and you've had great luck already! happy growing. if you want IDs on your plants, try posting a picture to the forum.

-ming

• Begoniac
    19 years ago

Ry,
    You're probably able to do that with B. 'Dragon Wings' because it's part semperflorens, not a true cane.

Elizabeth

• greenelbows1
    19 years ago

The first time I ordered 'Cracklin' Rosie' I guess they were out of cuttings, which is what I'd ordered, and they sent me a leaf. I was pretty surprised because I'd always heard canes wouldn't root from leaves, and I think I tried a few times just to be sure, but thought maybe they knew what they were doing so I potted it up with care. I grow a lot of things from cuttings with pretty fair success. I'd heard that some canes with 'mixed heritage' would root and didn't know the parentage of 'Cracklin' Rosie'. She didn't root. Most cuttings root so easily it doesn't seem necessary to try to root leaves unless you're rooting rhizomatous, to me at least.

• Begoniac
    19 years ago

'Cracklin' Rosie' is a true cane. I'm amazed that they sent you one leaf! All that's good for is the compost heap. I totally agree with you about only needing to root rhizomatous leaves. I hardly ever root rhizomes. The leaves are easier and rot less frequently, for me, anyway.

You're also right about possibly being about to root leaves from canes with 'mixed heritage' (i.e. cane/shrub, cane/thick-stem, cane/semp). I've never tried it, though, since there's always so much plant to take cuttings from, it's not necessary to mess with the leaves.

• kes_cor
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I pruned them a few months ago. Not one has grown since. Guess I'll need to throw them away??

Is there any chance they'll start to grow again?

• hc mcdole
    19 years ago

If the stems are still green I wouldn't throw them out. If they are dried up or rotted then I'd trash them.

I stuck some canes back in September and some are just throwing up some new growth from the soil. They aren't going to put on a lot of growth in the winter months. Be patient and hopefully you will be amazed once warm weather and longer days return.

Butch

• kes_cor
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Still no growth...............

BAH...........