Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
overwinter angel wing begonia

Posted by florrie2 7A Maryland (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 21, 11 at 10:00

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

I have a lovely angel wing begonia that I got from cuttings several years ago. I put the pot on my deck and it blooms all summer, but when I bring it inside (now), it dies back. The first time it happened, I though it was a goner, but behold! In the spring the pot started showing green shoots! Imagine my surprise.

It does this every year. Now I have several that have been seeded from the original, and they ALL do it!

I have great winter light, orchids, bromeliads, African violets bloom constantly, but this begonia just dies back to the ground.

Advice, please, should it do this?

Thanks, Florrie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: overwinter angel wing begonia

A picture would help ID it so we could give better feedback.

From the sound of your description, it sounds like the hardy begonia (B. grandis). If this is the case, then it will always go dormant, returning in the spring from bulbils and possibly seed. A true cane begonia (sometimes called an angel wing begonia) will never go completely dormant or die to the ground. It may drop all its leaves but with the right amount of light and water it should leaf out easily and perhaps bloom indoors.

o
RE: overwinter angel wing begonia

Gosh! I thought it was angel wing - that's what the grower said it was. I'd like to send a picture, but there's nothing to photograph now [grin].

I did have some hardy begonias that seeded themselves into my yard, but the deer would get at them. Maybe they've replaced the "angelwing"

Thanks for your help!

Florrie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here