Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gree_knees

Scale insects

gree_knees
11 years ago

I discovered scale on one of my cane begonias this morning. It's been in the middle of several others in a light garden for close to a month. I started tearing off the leaves and squashing the the scales but the begonia will be bare by the time I finish. Does anyone know of a systemic that can be used on the other plants and should I try to save this begonia or just try for a few cleaned cuttings? It's a very leafy plant, or it was!

Comments (10)

• gree_knees
    Original Author
    11 years ago

one of the scales

• Woebegonia
    11 years ago

About 20 minutes I found scale on my 'phal' orchids, what a coincidence . .. .The first remedy suggests putting a Q tip in alcohol and treating them individually that way. And later, if that doesn't stop it, get an insecticidal soap and spray the leaves. There are probably other methods. I routinely add a little systemic (granules) when I prepare my potting mix, it seems to help as Jiffy Mix, which I love, is loaded with fungus gnats. If worst comes to worse you can probably just cut back the cane, it will be easier to check it when the growth resumes. If you don't want to use 'poison' the insecticidal soap is safer.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Are you sure that's scale? It's an odd place, on the top of the leaf, to find one, and it doesn't look like any scale I've seen before. But there are supposed to be about 1000 different kinds. You may want to post that pic on the clinic forum also, to confirm or deny if it's scale.

• gree_knees
    Original Author
    11 years ago

woebegonia, what systemic are you using and where are you buying it? I need to start getting something into the rest of the plants to prevent more loss.
    purpleinopp, yes, I'm sure.

• gree_knees
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you!

• Woebegonia
    11 years ago

Bonide Systemic Houseplant Insect Control,I bought it at a hardware store but notice the nursery carries it as well.I have seen Schultz carrying a spray that works on scale, too.It is a natural product made from Chrysanthemum flowers, it's probably worth trying.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Ok I recognize that. Ugh, so sorry!

• marybright
    11 years ago

I believe in preventive spraying; about once every two weeks throughout the entire time my plants are indoors: Nov-April. I use combination fungicide/insecticides for houseplants, I have no brand loyalty.

• gree_knees
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Mary, I'll keep that in mind. I already put the systemic in several and plan to use it on all that are in the house. I have to work just a few at a time because I have severe spine problems. When I get all repotted and\or cleaned I'll take pics and show you. I'm in the middle of covering my light garden with moss and bark, so at least the mess is all at once!

• Woebegonia
    11 years ago

There's an organic method I forgot to mention - you can make a weak tea of neem leaves and water with it off and on as a preventative. An ABS member who collects plants in rain forests protects herself from fire ants and other insects by sprinkling dry neem leaves thru her clothing, and she says it is a wonderful protectant. She also reports she has fewer pests in her greenhouse than other growers seem to have.This is not neem oil, the leaves are available in health food stores.