Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scale insects

Posted by gree-knees 6a (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 4, 12 at 10:37

I discovered scale on one of my cane begonias this morning. It's been in the middle of several others in a light garden for close to a month. I started tearing off the leaves and squashing the the scales but the begonia will be bare by the time I finish. Does anyone know of a systemic that can be used on the other plants and should I try to save this begonia or just try for a few cleaned cuttings? It's a very leafy plant, or it was!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scale insects

one of the scales

o

About 20 minutes I found scale on my 'phal' orchids, what a coincidence . .. .The first remedy suggests putting a Q tip in alcohol and treating them individually that way. And later, if that doesn't stop it, get an insecticidal soap and spray the leaves. There are probably other methods. I routinely add a little systemic (granules) when I prepare my potting mix, it seems to help as Jiffy Mix, which I love, is loaded with fungus gnats. If worst comes to worse you can probably just cut back the cane, it will be easier to check it when the growth resumes. If you don't want to use 'poison' the insecticidal soap is safer.

o

Are you sure that's scale? It's an odd place, on the top of the leaf, to find one, and it doesn't look like any scale I've seen before. But there are supposed to be about 1000 different kinds. You may want to post that pic on the clinic forum also, to confirm or deny if it's scale.

o

woebegonia, what systemic are you using and where are you buying it? I need to start getting something into the rest of the plants to prevent more loss.
purpleinopp, yes, I'm sure.

o

Thank you!

o

Bonide Systemic Houseplant Insect Control,I bought it at a hardware store but notice the nursery carries it as well.I have seen Schultz carrying a spray that works on scale, too.It is a natural product made from Chrysanthemum flowers, it's probably worth trying.

o

Ok I recognize that. Ugh, so sorry!

o

I believe in preventive spraying; about once every two weeks throughout the entire time my plants are indoors: Nov-April. I use combination fungicide/insecticides for houseplants, I have no brand loyalty.

o

Thanks, Mary, I'll keep that in mind. I already put the systemic in several and plan to use it on all that are in the house. I have to work just a few at a time because I have severe spine problems. When I get all repotted and\or cleaned I'll take pics and show you. I'm in the middle of covering my light garden with moss and bark, so at least the mess is all at once!

o

There's an organic method I forgot to mention - you can make a weak tea of neem leaves and water with it off and on as a preventative. An ABS member who collects plants in rain forests protects herself from fire ants and other insects by sprinkling dry neem leaves thru her clothing, and she says it is a wonderful protectant. She also reports she has fewer pests in her greenhouse than other growers seem to have.This is not neem oil, the leaves are available in health food stores.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here