Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vera_ewash

Is this a Rex?

Vera_EWASH
18 years ago

Looks like a Rex, but is there such a one that has plain ol' green leaves? I don't know much about Begonia's, but the mother plant has leaves that get really big and look very simular to Angel Wing leaves at maturity. I'm a greenhouse student and the plants are growing in the house that holds our stock plants. A stem broke off and I was let take it home rather than toss it, but they don't know that exact cultivar and said it was some kind of Rex. We looked in some referrence books but they are all colorful leaved varieties.

Here's a few pics...your help appreciated! Thanks.

{{gwi:440379}}
{{gwi:440381}}
{{gwi:440383}}

Vera

Comments (10)

• Vera_EWASH
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry it's not very clear! Should tell you the leaves also have hairs along the margins that are red but shorter than those on the petioles...also the upper-leaf surface has these hairs.

Thanks

Vera

• mingtea
    18 years ago

hi there,

this is a rhizomatous variety, a B. ricinifolia hybrid. the stem can be easily propagated rooted in water or substrate.

-ming

• Vera_EWASH
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh Thank you! After posting and doing some more googling, I thought it might have been one of the rhizomatous type, but I was having serious trouble finding the species.
    Your great :)

Vera

• mingtea
    18 years ago

this was one of my first begonias. :)

rexes are actually rhizomatous, too, but the group is distinguished by having the species, Begonia rex, somewhere in their lineage. good luck growing,

-ming

• vera_eastern_wa
    18 years ago

Update.
    The cutting rooted fine in perlite and I potted it up about December 5th. It's just been within the last 5 days that babies begin emerging from the rhizome! I thought it would never happen!

Vera

• anamallorca
    18 years ago

Hi there!

I've just got in love of begonias and totally novice in their culture; I can't find data about it in my language, (I suppose that temperatures are too high in my country) and I would like you help me a bit.

I'd want to know if the B. rizomathosas "disappear" in winter. Another doubt is: is the same rizomathosa than tuberosa? I'm sorry for the stupidity of these questions, I've tried to inquire before, but, I don't speak english (My son is helping me) and there's hardly information in spanish on the net.

Thanks in advance.

• anamallorca
    18 years ago

I'm so sorry I wanted to open a new topic.

• hc mcdole
    18 years ago

Where do you live? Others in your area may be able to help better than I can.

I wouldn't think you'd have any problems if you live in a tropical area since most begonias are found in the tropics. Tuberous go through a rest period so leaves and stems disappear, but will put out new growth when warmth, light, and moisture are available. Cut back on watering during the rest period for these types of begonias.

Rhizomatous begonias for the most part will keep their leaves but there are exceptions (rexes for the most part lose their leaves during winter). If your humidity is low, then a lot of begonias will lose their leaves but as long as their stems (rhizomes, canes) are plump (turgid) then they should put out new leaves when conditons are right. Do not keep them soaking wet during their rest periods though since this will lead to rot. Don't let them dry completely out either or they may dry up and die.

Piece of cake?

• anamallorca
    18 years ago

Hi hcmcdole, thanks a lot for your attention.

I live in Spain, it hasn't a tropical clime. In my zone the summers are very hot and winters aren't not so cold, temperatures are never lower than 0º C. There is a lot of humidity where I live, in Mallorca.

Your comments have been very helpful, thanks a lot!

Quote: Piece of cake?

Ana: an ensaimada? ;)

• hc mcdole
    18 years ago

You may be able to leave your begonias outside if it doesn't get below freezing with some kind of cover for cold nights. Humidity is exactly what the doctor ordered when it comes to begonias - they love it.

So growing begonias in your area should figuratively be a "piece of cake" - simple.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks