Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
B. xanthina var. pictifolia

Posted by woebegonia MT (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 12:01

This is a tuberous plant grown for many years in the society as B. picta, original seeds were collected in India years ago. Generally the leaves are small, I used to think of it as a mini'; however, my tuber is so old I was very surprised to find it has produced a four inch leaf. It needs more humidity so it is not as straight as it should be. The colors truly are green with white flecks and rusty brown stripes, very striking.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: B. xanthina var. pictifolia

I didn't know it was tuberous. Mine just looks like the usual rhizomatous. Of course having it grown originally from Harmony helps in that respect too. Mine always looks like death in winter and is susceptible to mildew but come summer it eventually comes out and grows well often putting out blooms that never quite open all the way before it is time to take back indoors and repeat the cycle.

o

I've made an error - B. picta is still just named B. picta, it has nothing to do with B. xanthina. I don't know where I got that idea, I've been thru the magazine, nothing there about that. B.picta is Section Diploclinium and B. xanthina is Section Platycentrum, they are not even related. Nonetheless, they both have pretty leaves and the rhizomatous plant has yellow flowers. Sorry for my error.

o

I wouldn't have known any difference. Just didn't know about the tuberous part.

It does have yellow flowers but mine never quite makes it before I take it indoors.

Here is mine and about as close as it gets to blooming - two years in a row now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here