Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do Begonia types have bloom seasons?

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 12:43

Do they go by temps, or day length? Or are most types mostly everblooming? I'm curious about rhizomatous in particular, are they all similar in their flowering?. Mine are outside for summer, will bring inside for winter, given to me by a neighbor this spring.

Just repotted, the stick is holding part of it until it gets "set" in the new position.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do Begonia types have bloom seasons?

Rhizos usually bloom early spring. Canes can bloom all summer on and off. Waxes bloom all the time given the right conditions (hence the name semperflorens). Rexes usually bloom in fall but can bloom on and off through summer too.

o

Excellent, thanks!!

o

Hey Purple!

What's the name of that begonia? It's a rhizo - right? _ and not a rex?

Thanks
Susie

o

Hey Susie! It has a rhizome, that's all I can tell you. My neighbor gave it to me. She's probably had it for decades, if that helps you narrow it down.

I separated one giant thing that was all tangled like a pretzel into many pieces, this is one of 2 pots. Most of the pieces seem to be doing great while a few sections are just shriveling. The other pot looks much better and has been in a shallow pot like this for a few months. Hopefully that will help the pieces in this pot, moving to a much shallower pot. The regular, deeper pot they were in was staying too wet at the bottom even though the soil was extremely fast-draining.

I hope at least one of the sections makes a flower sometime. Always exciting even if it is a tiny one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here