Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Do Begonia types have bloom seasons?

Do they go by temps, or day length? Or are most types mostly everblooming? I'm curious about rhizomatous in particular, are they all similar in their flowering?. Mine are outside for summer, will bring inside for winter, given to me by a neighbor this spring.

Just repotted, the stick is holding part of it until it gets "set" in the new position.

Comments (4)

• hc mcdole
    11 years ago

Rhizos usually bloom early spring. Canes can bloom all summer on and off. Waxes bloom all the time given the right conditions (hence the name semperflorens). Rexes usually bloom in fall but can bloom on and off through summer too.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Excellent, thanks!!

• SusieQsie_Fla
    11 years ago

Hey Purple!

What's the name of that begonia? It's a rhizo - right? _ and not a rex?

Thanks
    Susie

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Susie! It has a rhizome, that's all I can tell you. My neighbor gave it to me. She's probably had it for decades, if that helps you narrow it down.

I separated one giant thing that was all tangled like a pretzel into many pieces, this is one of 2 pots. Most of the pieces seem to be doing great while a few sections are just shriveling. The other pot looks much better and has been in a shallow pot like this for a few months. Hopefully that will help the pieces in this pot, moving to a much shallower pot. The regular, deeper pot they were in was staying too wet at the bottom even though the soil was extremely fast-draining.

I hope at least one of the sections makes a flower sometime. Always exciting even if it is a tiny one.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County