10 years ago

I just ordered Begonia Red Fred and B. Popenoei from

Peppers Greenhouse I cant say enough good things about

my experience with them!

My plants were here in two days and they are large
beautiful plants, I will be ordering from them again next
spring.

A great Big Thank you to Mark4321 for putting the good
word out there about Peppers Greenhouse!

Karen

Comments (17)

• gardenpaw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you,
    Your B. Popenoei is massively beautiful!

What size pot do you have it in?

How long did it take to get to that size?

I have never heard of Red Bluff, will have to look that one
    up.
    Thank you for posting the picture it is gorgeous!

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

I think this is now 2 years old. It is in a 14" clay bowl. Red Bluff is very close to Freddie and Red Fred. It isn't as finicky as Red Fred and the new leaves are as red as RF.

Here is Red Bluff indoors last winter. It greens up outdoors though but so does Red Fred.

• Woebegonia
    10 years ago

I was not impressed with Pepper/Accent when I ordered early on this year, they only sent half the order and when I got it straightened out they couldn't fill the remainder. If they say a plant is 'in stock' I think I would double check that before trying them again.

• gardenpaw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Hcmcdole,

Your Red Bluff is just beautiful and so is your picture!
    Thank you for posting it.
    Was wondering what is Harmony?

Woebegonia, I`m so sorry to hear you had such a bad
    experience with Peppers`s.
    Where do you usually buy your begonias?

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

Harmony is a wholesale grower around Orlando. They grow beautiful begonias, African violets, peperomias, and a few other gesneriads.

I hope they have this rex for sale next year. It is a sport off a sport off one of their rexes.

• plantlover49
    10 years ago

Karen
    Wow, you'll be in Heaven next Spring with your Begonia's
    that was Super Fast, to receive them that quick
    so Glad it was worked out that way

Elizabeth

• Woebegonia
    10 years ago

Kartuz, Glasshouse, Violet Barn, Ebay, I have a list of about 15 other sellers whose names I've picked off the web, but when I go thru the list I find there are always some who didn't last long in business for whatever reason.

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

Glasshouse Works (GHW) is terrible on delivery. My last two orders from them took over 3 months. They are on the very bottom of my list.

• Woebegonia
    10 years ago

Well, Butch, one of the owners died and the other has to carry on by himself. There is an old listing of dealers and other things on 'begonia links', it hasn't been updated since 2009, I wonder why. That's where I found some listings of people no longer in business. There is other interersting data, though, still on that site.

• Woebegonia
    10 years ago

MIchael Breneman is another from whom I've never had bad plants. This is Michael/s Fuchsias and Exotic Begonias in California. And same with Logee's.I;'m jogging my memory by looking thru Doug Hahn's listing, he has five pages of sellers listed.

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear one of the owners died. Sounds like they need some more help then. The only excuse I ever got was they had a cold winter but I can't imagine it any worse than Logee's, Taylor's, or The Violet Barn - those 3 could get their orders out in a week typically.

Have not ordered from Michael's - it would be nice if he'd get a web site to handle business. Don't you have to call to order from him?

Have you tried Steve's Leaves? They are a little high but the plants are beautifully grown and well worth it.

Also Taylor's is pretty good. Free shipping on orders over $75 (maybe that has changed recently).

PHOE used to be somewhat bad for mail order but if you are ever in Miami it is well worth it to visit - been there 4 times now. Their prices are high but what a selection.

• Woebegonia
    10 years ago

This is Michael's address from 2012 when I last ordered. Fuchsias Galore and Exotic Begonias, 1024 Webster St., Santa CRuz, CA 95062, phone 831 535 2250and mbrreneman@gmail.com.

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

Joan,

You can get a list of his begonia offerings from this website

Michael's Begonia List

but must still call or email him to place an order. Is that correct?

I can't find the ordering information from his home page

Michael's Begonias and Fuchsias

• Woebegonia
    10 years ago

Probably, I haven't tried ths year.

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

Joan,

I found the ordering information - it is at the end of the catalog list.

I noticed that you must make two payments: 1) for the plants and 2) for the shipping after the fact because of the unknowns (weight, box size, how far, etc.) and this is on the honor system. Looks like he only accepts money orders and checks - no credit cards or PayPal.

Seems like this information would be on the home page.

• Ettore Basque
    5 years ago

Hello,

I have a Begonia that looks exactly like the B. popenoei in the picture on your post. However, the Begonia I have also looks a lot like B. 'Lotusland' except mine has very tall, deep pink and very fragrant flower spikes. Lotusland has light pink flowers that are not fragrant and popenoei appears to have white flowers.

Do you have any idea as to which Begonia I have?

Attached find a picture of my begonia. It's not in bloom right now, though. It's the one in the background.

Thank you!

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA