Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing strategy

Posted by dirtev (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 15:10

Hello, I am new here! I have inherited a very large amount of plants from a friend. My experience is with outside canadian gardening. From what I can tell so far it is the opposite of what you do to take care of a begonia.......
Here are two pictures of one of the plants I need help with:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47971826@N05/8222033298/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47971826@N05/8222033646/in/photostream/

How often do you need to potup a size?
Does it need regular feeding?
trimming?
I am worried it it keeps growing at this rate it will not fit in my window / it will fall over...

Thank you so much..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing strategy

Your pics:

o

General rule is to only pot up as the plant fills the pot it is in. If you want a big plant then I find a big pot is best but I'd do it when you can move it outdoors. Come fall you would probably want to "pot down".

Regular feeding is recommended but a lot of potting soil has slow release already added to the mix and is good for many months.

Trim as you see fit. Grown in a big pot with the best light, regular feeding, warm temps and your begonia can reach 4 feet or more. Or you can start it over once a year and keep it on the short side. Kept in a small pot will constrain the roots and growth (bonsai in a way).

Cut the tops out and start them in a new pot or add to the pot it is in. The stumps will send up new shoots and if not cut to the ground they will grow new shoots at the growing nodes. The stems in between can be used to start new plants as well and they can be placed horizontally in a tray with some soil or vertically (make sure the bottom cut is the one that goes in the soil though).

Your begonia looks like Lucerna - an oldie but goodie. Very easy plant to grow and keep for a long, long time. The only problem I've seen is mildew in the fall/winter in a basement.

o

Hcmc, I thought it looked like Lucerna/Lucerne also. With more light, the leaves can develop a nice reddish tint if that's what it is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here