Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloeasha

New begonias!

chloeasha
10 years ago

I proofread for a friend and she sent me some begonias from taylor's as a thanks. She sent me May Queen, erythrophylla, and maculata "Wightii." I am so excited! May Queen arrived blooming :) Any words of wisdom on these? I planned on treating them like the rest of my begonias.

Comments (14)

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

I don't know 'May Queen' but the pictures look like it is from some kind of coccinea/albo-picta or something like that so it should be easy.

B. 'Erythrophylla' aka beefsteak is an old hybrid and is generally easy but can also have its ups and downs. Not too wet but definitely not dry either. It doesn't require extra humidity and can be easily grown under lights or by a window. Seems to be a favorite of a lot of begonia enthusiasts.

B. maculata can be difficult at times (for me). It has grown very well for me the year I bought it but indoors it usually goes into a tail spin. Maybe it just requires more light than I can give it indoors. I am attaching a picture of it when it was a great grower. It is just a shell of itself now 3 years later.

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!

And great tips. I'll be interested to see how they do for me. I seem to have good luck so far with a variety of begonias, but sometimes you can't fight conditions like climate. So far in their little pots they're doing OK. :)

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

That is the key - try them and find what works for you. Talk to others in your area and see what they grow and what they failed at.

Sometimes we just have to try and prove the old timers wrong or right (99% of the time they are correct). I know I can't grow meconopsis or delphiniums here so I should've listened instead of trying it a few times and come away disappointed.

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Man, I fought that delphinium thing too :P I think that's good though-- we learn the hard way and eventually know what to avoid! I may be radically switching climates this summer, so that is a big reason I am unsure what to expect from my stuff :)

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

Most begonias will do fine in most home environments and outdoors in warm months. If you move to the Phoenix you would be best to grow them indoors year round probably.

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If we move to Jordan, indoors is about the same as outdoors in the summer-- no climate control :) I do know canes are OK there though, or at least some are as I saw people have quite large ones.

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

Can you carry/ship plants overseas though?

So no AC there?

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, the plants aren't a problem. Mostly they don't check, but I've arranged wasta to bring them anyway along with my telescope. :)

Yeah, most people don't have A/C in their homes. It's only in the upper 80s for about a month or so, and it's always in the 60s or so at night, even in the height of summer. It's about like Sacramento I've figured out thanks to Mark1234, and USDA-wise, it's like a 10a. Mediterranean climate. :)

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

I'd be careful transporting plants at least in to the states without declaring them. I understand if caught then fines can be very high and possible jail time (maybe it is all scare tactics but it scares me enough not to even try).

Good to hear you won't need AC then. It really is what you get used to anyway.

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Which states? You mean for people moving from state to state within the US? I remember the border crossing from NV to CA always had people looking for produce and plant material. They would just toss it out.

Yeah, when I worked there for a couple of summers I did get used to it. I also remember feeling really cold in the mornings!

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

No, from another country into the states. State to state is no problem that I am aware of. CA is strange - they can export all over the country but don't bring anything into their state - crazy.

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, well no worries about that. I never take plants on vacation. They only move with me. :)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

How are your pretty new plants doing, J? I feel bad for my Begonias, full-sun succulents are in most of the best light spots. I don't think anything will croak, but it's a shame there's not more light for them. When I take stuff outside for a drink, they get some good rays but that's not often enough for them to all look great in here.

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So far they are doing OK! Mine don't get that much light either-- inside or out :) But they are doing fine. I put them where I used to have my orchids, and moved the orchids closer to me since I'm using their pots as impromptu nurseries for my epiphytic cacti cuttings. :)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm