Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
down2earth_gw

question from a newby...please

down2earth
17 years ago

Hi, this is my 1st time to visit this forum (nice place you have here). I bought a begonia several years ago and put it in ground. I think I remember it being a tuberous begonia. I would say that the foliage is it's attraction with red stems and leaves that are red underneath. The bloom is insignificant, small pink flowers. After a few years I put it in a pot where it has remained. This is the first year that it has set seed that I have noticed. A few of the seed pods are dry now and I seed that they are tiny, almost the consistency of course ground meal. Question...after the pods dry and I remove them how do I store the seeds and when do I plant them? How do I plant them, by rule of thumb since they are so small I would guess just on the top of the medium..but should they be planted insitu? I read Linnea's question re over wintering and did not see an answer. This is the first year that I have brought the pot indoors for the winter. Does the begonia require a dormant period? Should I just toss the pot into an outbuilding or my unheated greenhouse? Thanks for indulging a newby and next time I will try to be brief. :-)

Comments (2)