Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woebegonia

B. 'Lucerna' propagation

Woebegonia
12 years ago

I have always heard that B. 'Lucerna' could not be propped by leaf cuttings; however, that must not be true. I have a small plant coming on from a piece of leaf resting on damp sphagnum in a plastic bag. If I can do this, I bet there are others out there who have done this, and it is just an old tale that it can't be propped from leaves. I have another piece cut across the place where the leaf stem ends, it has callused and there are a few roots - I have also heard that this is not unusual but the callused place will not produce a plant. I guess I will have to wait and see.

Comments (10)

• hc mcdole
    12 years ago

Post some pictures of your progress. If you can validate this, you should write it up in the Begonian.

• Woebegonia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good idea, Butch. I just took three. I have some beginner's problems - the first time I uploaded, Windows took it all to Windows Photo Gallery, which is okay but the only way I can get them out is by E-Mail. I have signed up for PhotoBucket, maybe that will help me get somewhere I can post them out! There are several more I want to photograph before I try this with you big kids . . .

• Woebegonia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:441853}}I have had quite a time getting this foggy picture to you.

• hc mcdole
    12 years ago

Very interesting. I know some cane leaves will root but never do anything else. Did you happen to have a terminal bud at the leaf petiole and stem?

I read that a cane crossed with another type of begonia may be able to start from a leaf but it seems like Lucerna has parents that are both canes.

One begonia that can be grown from leaf and appears cane-like is amphioxus but then I lost all my amphoxius later on though since it seems to be very picky about humidity.

• Woebegonia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, I've never seen a sign of any kind of bud. I think I can pull myself together and get a better focused picture of the one above, I should have mentionedthe leaflet is about the size of a quarter in that picture, but now I see it is producing a secondary leaf. The other prop ,which I thought I had cut at or across the petiole, well, I took another look and there is a bit of stem below that which sort of voids that test. It has what look like roots at the place of petiole attachment, I think I will trim off the piece of stem and continue to let it grow and see what happens. Both of these 'experiments' are grown in tight Zip bags, I open them often to make sure rot hasn't started.

• Woebegonia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

About B. amphioxus, I meant to comment that it either seems to grow like rabbits, or is hard. I recently sent some cuttings to a friend who is struggling with it, I looked up Mrs. Thompson's article which she wrote shortly before she died. The people she contacted found it difficult and she also commented that it is from an area that can be as much as 76 degrees at night and 90 degrees in the daytime, and she thought one should probably not let it get warmer than 77 degrees daytime, letting the nighttime temp drop to 65 degrees. I don't grow it that warm, I have 3 plants in tall flea-- -market clear vases, letting it get tall as I don't want to miss a chance at seeds. Mrs. Thompson was also told it will root from a leaf tip. Another friend reported a rooted cutting has produced four plants for him.

• Woebegonia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is the front of the main leaf, about 6", with the plantlet just barely seen at the upper right.I am trying to get a better size of picture here.{{gwi:441856}} How can I make the photo smaller, I took it to 320 x 240

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Hey Woebegonia. Well, you proved, whomever said 'can't be done,' wrong.

What a pretty Begonia! The dots are so pronounced they look like they're sticking out of the leaf. Don't know your age, but do you recall Dots? Little, round candy attached to paper? Only the Dots would be white. lol.

Congrats.

BTW, your Sphagnum Moss is so green, looks fresh and alive.

Howdy Butch. Toni

• Woebegonia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Or the confetti produced by paper punches. I was hoping you would turn up, I have a picture below on the subject of
    B luxurians, it is the plant I am hoping to get to you if it continues to thrive and survive the winter.

• Woebegonia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Speaking of B. 'Lucerna' my main plant is showing its bare legs as usual. When I see mildew there I usually rub it off with my fingers, but it will repeat. I was trying to think of some kind of antitranspirant to try on its stems and so I decided to coat it lightly with hair spray, works well! It's been more than a couple of months and no repeat on the stems.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville