Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
i_love_my_cat

Intro, pics, and ? about misting...

i_love_my_cat
13 years ago

Hi! I'm new to plant collecting and have discovered I looooove begonias. So far, I have two angel wings (Lady Lois and Paper Snowflakes) and a rex (raspberry swirl). As you can see from the pics, my plants are still small...but growing!

I have them in a northeast-facing window, and they all seem happy. I fertilize the rex with a balanced fertilizer, and the angel wings with a high phosphorus fertilizer, both every 2 weeks. I let the angel wings dry a bit, then water thoroughly (until the water runs out the drain hole). I keep the rex slightly more moist, but not by much. Does all of this sound right?

I've read in my houseplant books that begonias like high humidity, so I keep them on trays with moist pebbles, as well as misting them 3 times a day...sometimes more if I'm home and being really anal!). I've noticed that if I don't mist them regularly, the edges of the leaves start to dry and turn brown. However, I've also read in my houseplant books that begonias are prone to powdery mildew, and that keeping the leaves wet by misting can contribute to this problem. So...my question is, do you mist your begonias...and if so, do you ever have mildew problems?

Thank you!

Lori

{{gwi:441941}}

{{gwi:441943}}

{{gwi:441945}}

Comments (3)

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA