Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woebegonia

B. grandis tubers

Woebegonia
10 years ago

Generally the tubers break dormancy in January, but to my surprise most have started already. I hope growth will be slow as I am still growing indoors and will do so for a couple of months or more. I have a recipe for slowing growth of little bulbs which are often forced for house blooming (paperwhites and the like) and I rather hope I don't need to try it, I never have. If anyone wants to know what the recipe is (I found it in a garden magazine) I will post it.

Comments (8)

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

Please post it Joan. I gave up on growing grandis indoors so whatever comes up outdoors is it for me. It will probably be years before they become weedy for me.

Here is a picture of some at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens in late September. They look like they are over for the year. I have another picture as well of the white flowering type.

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

White ones. They had hundreds of feet of both types along some of the walks.

• JohnnieB
    10 years ago

In the past I've kept B. grandis propagules and tubers dormant by sticking them in my fridge, in a sealed zip-type bag with barely moistened potting mix. It keeps them dormant however long I want, and I can pull some out at my convenience to give away, to propagate for plants sales or exchanges, or to grow and bloom off-season for breeding purposes.

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

Sounds good JohnnieB. Not sure I want to take the time with my few that come back every year.

• Woebegonia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beautiful photos!It is alcohol which can be used to keep bulbs from getting too tall before their proper time. Don't use more than a 5% solution. Rubbing alcohol works, but make weaker solution like 2%. You may try a mix of 5 tablespoons of 80-proof alcohol in a qt. of water. And then water lightly, of course, with the solution.

I do store tuberhybrida in sawdust in boxes in the bottom of the fridge. Your method is a good one; usually the little ones are left in their pots with a little more dry soil on top and stored in the basement. But our basement apparently is warmer than I realize because I've lost tuberhybrida stored there whch is why I check everything stored there in December or whenever I start to wonder how things are going down there . . .

• Woebegonia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I recently read that commercial growers, as welll as hobb y growers who grow chrysanthemums for show ,use dwarfing compounds to control the growth of the mums.

• timhensley
    10 years ago

Does anyone grow this plant in zone 5? Some sources list it as zone 5. I grew this plant in TN and do miss it.

• Woebegonia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I see Zone 5 has quite a range of temperature . I think , if you have tubers to spare, you will have to grow them this year as an experiment, with some in pots and others in the ground. Your County Ag. Extension office may be able to tell you what the exact winter temperature usually is in your growing area.