Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisacolburn_gw

Escargot problems

lisacolburn
16 years ago

I am having problems with my escargot leaves developing dried edges and the leaves are curling under....even the new leaves.

Could soil fertility be an issue? I have sprayed fungicides as well as a few insecticides to no avail. Any other ideas?

Comments (4)

• hc mcdole
    16 years ago

It sounds like a humidity problem. Put it under some kind of humidity cover - a plastic cake cover should do the trick. You can also buy plastic salad bowls at places like Party City which make great covers (and bowls).

Here is B. goegoensis under a makeshift plastic food container. I did the same thing with Escargot last winter but then neglected it in the spring (they still need water from time to time).

{{gwi:441325}}

• lisacolburn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I will try that....though I am afraid that I may have mold problems.
    Thanks,
    Lisa

• hc mcdole
    16 years ago

Mold can be a problem at times but typically it is rare. Usually letting the soil dry out will take care of mold, sometimes you may have to resort to spraying.

The benefits outweigh the risks so whenever I see a favorite begonia in decline and it has been watered recently, I try to pop a cover on it as soon as I can. Usually it will respond in an hour or so, sometimes it may take longer.

• lisacolburn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I will try this technique and let you know the results.
    thank you,
    Lisa