Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
B. partita

Posted by Korina 9b, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 29, 04 at 13:32

I have two begonias, and one is partita. I purchased it from our local cactus and succulent guy, who had it outside in lots of sun. It didn't do so well when the weather turned cold, so I brought it in. It's now with my AVs, and well, it's not as unhappy as it was.

It would help a lot if I had some clue as to its cultural needs. It has a pretty nice caudex (right word?), but under the flourescents it seems to be stretching a bit. Should it have more direct light? Warmer, colder, dry, wet, feed, not feed...?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Korina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: B. partita

B. partitia prefers to dry between waterings and probably wants a bit more light than your violets - you might raise it closer to the lights. I've had them grow and bloom well under lights. Of course, even under lights, plants often react to winter and slow down. This one is easy to rot if kept too wet!

o

• Posted by Korina 9b, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 30, 04 at 12:52

Thanks, Plantaholic; It's in a 4" square pot, aleady taller than my mini AVs, but I may try to find room in front of the window.

Um, what kind of soil do they like? Heavy, light, really light?

Thanks.

Korina

o

• Posted by JimShy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 4, 05 at 10:10

I've got mine in mostly bonsai soil mix (clay pellets, gravel, peat) with additional perlite, i.e. light and quick draining. It's actually still blooming in a north-facing window, but it does get some reflected sun from the building across the street. As long as you don't overwater, this species is nearly indestructible, and seems to be fairly tolerant of light conditions.

Jim

o

• Posted by Korina 9b, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 4, 05 at 16:28

Thanks Jim -- I guess the succulent mix it's in will be just fine for now.

As for light, I have two narrow south-facing windows (tinted) but they're already too crowded; it'll just have to make due with the flourescents for now. Until something in the window dies, anyway. :-)

Korina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here