Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gree_knees

What's new for 2009?

gree_knees
15 years ago

Has anyone ordered seed for this year and which kind? I haven't even looked at any catalogs yet. I hope things slow down around here after Christmas enough to start looking. And...when do any of you start ordering plants? I waited until the weather was warm last year and the begonias I wanted sold out. Anita

Comments (9)

• tom8olvr
    15 years ago

I've decided to go back to the Dragon Wings. One of the
    seed companies offered to take 10% off if you ordered before
    a certain date... Of course I missed the date! My intent
    is to start a bunch of saved seed from various places
    (thanks Butch! Looking forward to it!) as well as some saved
    on my own... THAT should be interesting! :) Hopefully this
    year the S/O won't 'HELP' (put them out into the direct sunlight
    again!!!!).

I haven't noticed anything 'new' out there... They are pushing
    a begonia called 'BIG' it seems... expensive too... (seed)
    Should be interesting if any of the commercial growers pick
    it up... ? I won't be starting any BIG. I wonder if its
    any bigger (bloom wise) than the LOTTO series? No matter.
    I'm going back to the Dragon wing. Nothing seems to come
    close to it's vigor and beauty...

Good to hear from you, gree-knees

• bettyfb
    15 years ago

Hi all,

I have not been on this forum for some time. Tom, I am trying the new Big Begonias. I purchased one pack from Park's Seeds, the green leaf variety. I saw a picture of them, from Penn State Trial Gardens and was impressed. Pack includes 15 seeds, and I will try them in pots. I will post pictures later in the summer, if they do well.

Also Dragon Wing Begonias are still my favorite, and I planted seeds on Jan 17, and last night saw some peeks of green poking through on 7 or 8 of them, and I am excited. Seeing the pictures you posted, Tom, got me hooked. Everyone should give them a try. They grew so huge last summer, and I had two in the front of my house that were turning into small 'bushes', and I was thinking of trimming them back and a neighbor advised me against it. So I did nothing to them and just let them grow into small 'bushes.'

I will include a link to the Penn State Trial Gardens from '08. Scroll down to around number 39 or 40 to see the picture of the 'Big Begonias.'

Betty

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Begonias

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    15 years ago

I have sown seed of 'Illumination Apricot' hanging begonias, these really are fantastic plants! Also have on order the frangrant begonias 'Sweet Lady' and 'Just Rosy Scentiment'.

Terry

• gree_knees
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Terry, do you always start your tuberous begonias from seed? I want to try the Illumination but was afraid it's too complicated. Do you do anything different to grow them?Anita

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    15 years ago

Anita, a few times now I've grown tuberous begonias from seed, previously being the Show Angels, that's a nice mixture. Growing begonias from seed is not difficult, it's just slow. Germination temperature needs to be 75F or a bit higher, they'll start to emerge in about ten days. I know it's recommended growing them under lights, though this early in the season I won't turn on the lights solely for one small container of seedlings. For now I have them in a warm bright location (not in the sun) and when they establish a bit, I'll remove the plastic and begin giving them more sun, or I might by then have the grow lights on.

It takes several months before they're large enough to handle and transplant ... though, once they get going they really do take off! For those in a short season area and wanting bulbs to keep over, then before frost, move your plants to a greenhouse or bring into your home and grow on until they begin go into deline and drop their foliage and stems. You then should have decent little bulbs for next spring. These will produce full sized vigorous plants.

For anyone with the least bit of experience, I'd recommend giving them a try ... it's not as difficult or as challenging as it might seem.

Terry

• gladzoe
    15 years ago

I've ordered illumination and non-stop mocha and green. Today at the store they had Show Angels, so got those and sowed them tonight.

• indyrose
    15 years ago

I bought scarlet, yellow and orange Non-Stop seed from eBay, and they are germinating well. I have a very warm spot in my basement near the boiler, and have set up lights there. The seedlings are tiny! The planting instructions cautioned to be sure and give them plenty of light, as light-deprived seedlings tended to put their energy into forming tubers instead of leaves, and thus burned themselves out early.

I planted them around Jan 15, and the first ones are just now getting their first set of true leaves. New ones are still popping up, too.

This is my first attempt at this, so I'm watching them carefully.

Indyrose

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

Haven't been here for awhile, I've just been going through my tubers and came across my Sweet Ladies, for those of you who haven't tried this one yet in my opinion it is the most fragrant of all the ones I have grown which have included Pink Spice, Red Spice, Pink and Apricot Scentiment and Yellow Sweetie. I've just ordered the 4 new Scentiments so will see how they compare.

I lost my Pink and Apricot Scentiment and Red Spice to weevils a few years back, so if anyone is growing these in Canada maybe we could trade a cutting or two?...A

• jenosb
    15 years ago

I finally found a source for Scentiment Begonias and can't wait to see them in bloom. I also bought some huge flowered ruffled and roseform.

Here is a link that might be useful: goldenstatedirect.com