Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
"Dusty Rose"

Posted by boothbay 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 16:22

This is what I read is a new Begonia...called Solenia Begonia. It is constantly blooming outdoors and now indoors. Here is today's picture where I am showing them in bloom. Its interesting in the differences as you can see...one is completely 'opened' and the other 2 look like a rosette...both attractive. I wonder why the differences in this one plant? The culture is really a puzzle, for me anyway..."Water daily"? even indoors during winter?"Water soluble fertilizer every 2 weeks." Nothing is mentioned about doing this seasonal, or all year around. The one thing I don't like about this plant is that it has basal growth which certainly makes the pot bushy, i can hardly see the soil. LOL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: "Dusty Rose"

Are you talking about instructions that came with the plant? Your instincts are probably far superior.

That's a REALLY PRETTY plant!! I bet the difference is male vs. female flowers.

o

I didn't know what a 'Solenia' begonia was until Lowe's catalog arrived. They have it and some other begonias listed on a few pages as annuals and this is one of them. The plant (Solenia) is a cross between a semp (wax begonia) and a tuberous begonia, looks as though it has small, double flowers, it is named 'Dark Pink'.
You can check it out on www.logees.com.

o
RE: Dusty Rose

This sounds like a really cool plant, as well as appearing so pretty. I don't do mail order but will be looking in person!

The quote marks in the subject of this thread made it (the subject line) disappear in the email. Interesting coding quirk of the internet (so I removed them when I replied.)

o

Solenias were created as a type of long lived annual, crossing in some tuberous/heimalis parentage. With good culture they can last and also be planted outdoors come spring. NEVER water a begonia daily as they prefer some drying out. The light level looks very good. ENJOY!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here