Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
powdery mildew question

Posted by hibiscusjoe ohio (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 9, 09 at 19:05

I live in Ohio and have a small east exposure garden window. I have a few cane begonias. a couple of them have developed powdery mildew. what do I use to spray them with to keep it under control this winter. any help/comments would be appreciated.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: powdery mildew question

This time of year it is n ot a good idea to have the plants too close to the window, as a good drop in night temperatures seems to cause mildew with my plants. I do not think there is anything that will cure mildew; over the years I have tried water-milk solution, cinnamon, sulfur, Wilt Pruf, Funginex, Chamomile tea, copper dust, baking soda/water solution, and hair spray as an anti-transperant. Some of these may work for a day or two, but I think nothing will help if y ou continue to grow the plant or plants in the same place and the mildew will repeat, especially if the temperature drops quite a bit at night.

o
RE: powdery mildew question

Powdery mildew is a problem due to the following reasons: Lack of air circulation, issue with cleanliness and old leaves. Increase circulation in the area. Remove all debris and older leaves. These leaves harbor the spores. Spray with any fungicide labeled for mildew, but follow up every 7 days until control has been seen. Mildew forms when temps are between 50F and 75F and humidity is higher (such as condensation from a nearby window). Do not be afraid to crack a window on a chilly day. I grow my begonias outdoors here in Tampa Bay, and we regularly hit 32-35F each winter, sometimes below, albeit briefly. Best and stay warm! Greg Sytch, New Port Richey FL (also ABS Horticultural Correspondent)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here