Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rexedwardfairy

Non-stop Tuberous Beg wilted. Took Cuttings. Now what?

rexedwardfairy
11 years ago

I'm BRAND new to begonias. I purchased two Nonstop Tuberous Begonias tubers this year. One sprouted the two leaves (the other didnt), so I potted it up in a 1;1 mix of sand and potting mix (as some forum advised). IT was going great - in a shaded area with a little morning sun.
Then suddenly it began to wilt and we got a lot of rain, so it was all just sog-sog everywhere.
I've read that I can take stem cuttings, so i've done that - as the two stems, I found upon digging up the tuber, where rotting where they met the tuber anyway. So now hopefully I'll get some of the cuttings to root.
But in the meantime, I'm a few days into summer and have no idea what to do with the tuber. It has healthy roots under it and no rotting - not even where the stems were - I've washed it down and felt it with my fingers and it seems in good health.
So.... do i repot it (given it's the beginning of summer?) or do I store it in a paperbag now as if it were winter?
But there's no way I could keep it cool enough in our subtropical summer if I stored it. Unless I drove it 5 hours south to my mum's house (going there anyway soon) - and let her store it in their more temperate region.

Any ideas what I should do with this short-lived tuber anyone?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions