Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mingtea

what's your favorite begonia?

mingtea
20 years ago

just curious as to what everyones' favorites are. what about easiest? most rewarding? i really like my thurstonii because it's big, easy and, oddly, touchable.

-ming

Comments (52)

• jane_in_bristol
    20 years ago

Gosh.... Like Nancy, I think this is akin to asking about children, or favorite book, or food..... all depends on the feeling of the moment!

Some of my favorites have been B. 'Sophie Cecile', a big cane that makes a nice showy floor plant.... deeply cut leaves with some silver markings, a tall statuesque shape, dark maroon coloring that looks gorgeous with the afternoon sun slanting through it........ mmmm, yes!

But wait........ I also love the curly shape of the rhizomatous B. 'Midnight Twist', with its nearly -black leaves, turned in upon themselves, and its carefree, easygoing nature.... its a real trooper, as well as a looker!

Oh, and then there's B. 'Othello', also a rhiz, with satin-textured dusky green leaves, and a distinctive double turn at the base of the leaf. Another easy keeper, this one always has a certain "glow" in the morning light, all bronzy overtones and satin loveliness.

And then there are the terrarium babies...... *Sigh*, this could be a never-ending thread, LOL!

-Jane

• Begoniac
    20 years ago

Like Nancy and Jane said...LOL But at the moment I'm thinking of B. 'Bubbles', a cane-like variety that I got a few months ago. At first I didn't pay much attention to it. It's a small cane with small leaves with small spots on them (hence 'Bubbles', I guess). But then it started to bloom, and WOW! The flowers are an intense orange-red and HUGE in comparison to the leaves. It blooms profusely, constantly, and the flowers are so big that it almost looks like a tuberous begonia from a distance. It fits all three of Ming's categories: favorite, easiest and most rewarding. I've been trying to get a photo of it that does it justice. If I succeed, I'll post one.
    Elizabeth

• AuntieCelene
    20 years ago

Man, this is tough...I love Orococco, imperialis, Joe Hayden, and Tiger Kitten. Well, heck, throw in Black Velvet, too.

What a hard question, I can't choose!

Celene

• Nigella
    20 years ago

Can I turn this into a picture post?????

• kathyjo_mo
    20 years ago

Begoniac, Where did you get your start to Bubbles?

I saw a cane type with pink in the leaf last year in someone's hanging basket. It was a small angel wing cane type begonia. Any ideas what it could have been.

I am looking forward to the coming year. I have some neat starts and maybe I'll develop a new favorite.

• Begoniac
    20 years ago

KathyJo,

I got 'Bubbles' at one of our Begonia Society meetings.

The cane with pinkish leaves might have been 'Cracklin' Rosie', but there are other possibilities. That one isn't really small, though, so the one you saw was either something else or a small start. Young leaves will often be pinkish, but lose that coloration as they mature. There's also one called 'Pink Freckles' that has a pink tint.

Elizabeth

• jane_in_bristol
    20 years ago

Wow, Elizabeth, sounds like you're smitten!

KathyJo, I think I saw 'Bubbles' in the Logees catalog, as well. Hmmm, might be worth picking up when my ABS chapter makes its annual pilgrimage to Logees in February! Sounds Gorgeous!

To my understanding, several canes can get different tones in the leaves with age.... I have small young plants of B. 'Valida', which, if I'm correct, look nothing like their older counterpart. I fell in love with a plant brought in to a Begonia Society meeting - a tall plant, (about 5' tall!), it had huge clusters of blooms, nearly as big around as a basketball, and hot pink splashes on the leaves. I gushed about it awhile later, and the grower (Normand) kindly started some seed from those big blooms.... he gave me two seedlings, that are now about 8" tall. But they look nothing like the big specimen! Their leaves are plain green. I still have a sneaking suspicion that this is a different plant than the one I gushed about (in a "little show", he brought in many plants) but he says he knows the one I was talking about, and this is IT! I'll keep my eye on it!

Celene, what does 'Orocco' look like?

I've determined that this is the year I'm going to really apply myself to propagating for my ABS chapter. After I move, I'm going to build a light stand. THEN we'll see "who" emerges as among the favorites, LOL!

Fun Thread, Ming!
    -Jane

• Begoniac
    20 years ago

Jane,
    Here's a link to a picture of B. 'Orococo' on the Astro site. It's a trailing/scandent.
    Elizabeth

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:442673}}

• mingtea
    Original Author
    20 years ago

yay! i'm so glad all of you have taken the time to respond to this thread. it's so great to hear about the merits of so many varieties. i've been doing most of my begonia research on the internet and sometimes all you get are pictures. hearing what people think about their plants (and not the grower's plugs) is really helpful. looking forward to more,

-ming

• bodiCA
    20 years ago

I only know Tuberous and for beauty and exquisite fragrance, Scentiments. For breathtaking dramatic size and form, Memories.
    Then I saw Missy's collection! Wow, I was spell bound by them all!

• kathyjo_mo
    20 years ago

I checked out the Logee's site. May have to order a few from there this Spring. I'm in trade withdrawal right now. It is COLD here.

Jane, you probably don't remember, but I traded with you a long time ago when you were Jane in Boston.

I also like some of my begonias because they are just so easy to propagate!

• jane_in_bristol
    20 years ago

Wow... KathyJo.... did you have Looking Glass that was growing outside? I've only done a handful of trades really, so I really should remember this! 'Tho I did go through a period of health problems, and that whole time period is kinda fuzzy in my memory.

Ooops, sorry Ming, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

I've noticed that usually any "new" plant will be the favorite for awhile, but usually the old favorites creep back into the forefront of admiration.... its like that with me for B. 'Midnight Twist' I described.... its not "loud" or attention-grabbing, but when the Mallet-types have a raging case of powdery mildew, and I'm feeling like a slave to them to baby them with sulphur, etc... then my attention turns again to 'Midnight Twist', and I think, gee, what a great plant!

Other times, (like now), a plant I've kinda just ignored will do somthing, and then I notice it again... like now, sitting in my office with the morning sun coming in, I see that the species begonia B. schmidtiana is blooming, the little pale blooms held up into the morning sun... it looks very nice with its softly felted leaves, and a hint of reddish bronze showing through the underside when the sun hits it. Cute little plant!

-Jane

• greenelbows
    20 years ago

Jane, you really get poetic about your begonias. That's great. I sit here with the keyboard in front of me and nothing happens!

KathyJo, the 'kitten' whose name I couldn't remember above is 'Kit Kat'. I did as close to nothing to it all summer--watered it a few times!--and it filled an eight-inch terra cotta bowl with its tiny black and green leaves, and never got bigger in any of its parts, just wider. I had 'Tiger Kitten' too, (it's quite a bit bigger, tho' not really large) and loved it--don't remember what happened, but probably lost it (with a lot of other things) when I broke my ankle a few years ago. Funny how that happens!

I like 'Orococo' too--it looks great in a hanging basket, at least until the squirrels sit in it. This year I think they planted some dancing ladies ginger in there, at least I can't figure any other way they could have gotten there. Actually made a rather nice combination.

I like my Mallet cane 'Maurice Amey' a lot too. Seems pretty carefree, tho' I'm not sure it would do as well in a drier, cooler climate, like Oregon just to be specific. I got to spend some time with Maurice at a begonia convention, I think in San Antonio, and cherish it for that connection too. He grows really outstanding begonias. (As well as being one!)

I'm really enjoying this thread. Have to get some of those mentioned that I don't already have! And by the way--Logee's ship year around. Seem to know how to protect their plants.

• kathyjo_mo
    20 years ago

Jane, Yes I had the "Looking Glass" and probably had it outside. I remember you sent me an african violet leaf as a gift. I probably sent you a couple starts of the older variety canes I had. I also think I remember you saying something about losing a lot of your plants to freezing temps in your apartment. Like a door left open or something? Seems like a while back.

Nigella, I think maybe I did a trade with you last summer on another forum. Did I send you peanut brittle? I have yet to see it bloom, but it's an easy keeper with a pretty leaf.

greenelbows, Wow. Logee's ships all year.? prolly shouldn't tell me those kinda things. I really need more space though. This old farmhouse is cold and drafty. I heat an old porch and it is FULL! Will have to wait till closer to spring.

What is a mallet cane? Ming sorry for changing the direction of your thread.

• mingtea
    Original Author
    20 years ago

i agree with kathyjo in that i'm smitten with how hardy and easy to propagate some kinds of begonias are. a friend of mine gave me a bowerae leaf and it's already shot out a huge wad of roots...now for the plantlets!

i should also say that i am SOOO jealous of all you florida growers! that humidity seems to make everything lush and gorgeous, not to mention the fact that you can grow outdoors! we get maybe 4 months of outdoor growing here and then it's time to drag everything inside, which sure cuts down on either the human living space or the size of one's plant collection, lol.

• mingtea
    Original Author
    20 years ago

hey, no need to apologize at all, kathyjo. i think a site called "hortus botanicus" also ships all year long, although you have to add a $3 handling charge, which makes things pretty steep. i'm getting a goegoensis from them (once i can quell my conscience over the price)! i love many kinds of begonias with textured leaves.

i found this article about mallet canes:
    http://www.begoniatalk.com/Begonias/mallets.htm

-ming

• Begoniac
    20 years ago

Kathy Jo,
    In answer to your question, mallet canes have mahogany-red foliage with red hairs. They are less vigorous than other canes, need more humidity and are more prone to fungus. There are only a few varieties of mallets, among them, B. 'Tingley Mallet', B. Arthur Mallet' and B. 'Margaritacea'. For some reason, Kartuz lists a whole bunch of plants as mallet-types, which aren't mallets at all. 'Maurice Amey', 'Don Miller', 'Arabian Sunset', 'Lynda Dawn', 'Sinbad' and U062 are some of them. Of those I listed, U062 is a shrub-like begonia and is one of the parent plants of all the others. The rest are a cross between a cane and a shrub. I like to use the term "shrubby cane", but usually they are classified as shrubs.
    Elizabeth

• Begoniac
    20 years ago

That's an interesting article by Brad Thompson. Obviously there are differing opinions, but I tend to agree with him. I had this very discussion with Charles Jaros, past president of ABS, who seems to represent the opposing view. He felt that the zig-zag stems are more characteristic of shrubs. Personally I feel that cross-category plants need their own classification, and mallet works for me. At least until they come up with something better.
    Elizabeth

• kathyjo_mo
    20 years ago

Interesting article about the mallets. I'm sure after so much hybridization things become more and more difficult to classify.
    Back to one of the original questions. Most rewarding? I think the ones that I start out with a very small start and am successful into growing it into a very large plant.
    Ming, I really try to keep the humidity up on my "plant porch" . They seem to do so much better. Do you keep grow lights on yours during the winter?

• jane_in_bristol
    20 years ago

Interesting about the Mallet-Type controversy! Gosh, I was referring to 'Maurice Amy' and two No-ID ones that are very similar looking, with maroon backs, pink spotting and that upright yet more delicate constitution, as Mallet-Types. Hmmm. might need to rethink that one.

KathyJo.... you sure have a good memory! Yes, the back stairway door of my previous apartment got left open...... and the door between the back stairs and my kitchen (aka the plant room) was paper thin... actually had ice in the corner when I came in after a weekend away! Lost a lot back then, but I'm more or less recovered. Ironic, I'm moving again shortly! I remember for certain now.... the mention of the porch confirmed this for me! I think you were my FIRST ever trade! Wow.... time flies!

Ming, I'd be careful about getting shipments during the cold weather...... unless you're home and can insure that the plants won't sit out by the mailbox in the snow all day long, I'd be cautious. I know its difficult.

I agree, its better to hear real opinions on the plants... one that might be "easy" in a greenhouse might be really difficult in home conditions.

Fun thread!
    -Jane

• Begoniac
    20 years ago

Jane,
    I checked the Web site About Us page, and it appears that this company was formed or contracted to distribute the Florikan Nutricote formulas to the public at retail prices. For many years that was "forbidden" by the manufacturer. You could only get it from the licensed wholesaler, and the only one in Florida is in Sarasota. So those are the Nutricote formulas repackaged by this company for retail sales. That's good to know. Now I can add their link when the fertilizer question comes up. I'll keep buying my 50lb bags for $55.00, though. They last me about a year, and I grow LOTS of plants.
    Elizabeth

• jane_in_bristol
    20 years ago

Holy Ca-Moly Elizabeth! You go through a 50 POUND bag of the stuff in a year? Just a moment... I need to pull my eyebrows down off my forehead and find my jaw... its somewhere on the floor! Wow! Did you check out their prices? I think they had the largest size for $45-50, but with shipping, you may still have the better deal with your supplier. (*sheesh*... forbidden distribution.... comparing suppliers, etc... sounds like we've got something illicit going on here.....)

Interesting...... back when I worked at the garden center, I did get the impression that the Nutricote was ONLY for "The Industry". I guess by re-formulating it the manufacturer considers it "different" enough....

Well, I'll be using it this spring... but I'll be surprised if I go though any significant part of the two 4# bags I got..... I'm still amazed... 50 pounds, eh? WOW!

-Jane

• Begoniac
    20 years ago

Jane,
    LOL! Hope you found your jaw. The largest size I saw on their list was 20 pounds for $49.95. I didn't do a thorough search though. I didn't mean to imply that I use more than one bag per year. I usually only use one 13-13-13 and one 18-6-8.

I don't know why they only wanted growers to use it, but at some point they changed their minds, which...duh...means more sales!

Elizabeth

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    20 years ago

Favourite begonia? Begonia bowerae 'Tiger'.

• Begoniac
    20 years ago

Marguerite,
    Have you ever posted a picture of that one here? I've never heard of B. 'Tiger'. How does it differ from B. 'Tiger Kitten'?

Elizabeth

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    20 years ago

Elizabeth, I think they are most probably the same. I only identified mine from books, including Hessayon's House Plant Expert, where in my edition it's on page 77. I have seen a picture of a plant called 'Tiger Kitten' somewhere I cannot now recall, and seem to remember thinking it was remarkably similar. Most of the books claim it needs a lot more humidity and warmth than it in fact does; it is a remarkably easy-going plant here - in fact I had it in the cold greenhouse until about a month ago, when I re-potted it and placed it in the bathroom, and it is now producing loads of new leaves. I think it's particularly beautiful when the sun shines through those green, window-like markings in the brown leaves. I should also say that one of my books says B. bowerae should be B. boweri, which you no doubt know about. I see in the Collins Houseplant book a B. boweri called 'Tiger Paws'. My camera is having a bit of jammed battery door problems at the moment, but as soon as possible I'll post a picture in the gallery.

• Begoniac
    20 years ago

Marguerite,
    Just so you don't have to wonder anymore...B. boweri is a common error. There are many errors in plant books, unfortunately. B. bowerae is the correct spelling. When a plant name refers to a woman, the ae ending is used. Here's a link to a picture of B. 'Tiger Kitten' for comparison.
    Elizabeth

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:442675}}

• ooojen
    20 years ago

I've come back to this thread any number of times, but I'm no closer to having an answer. How can I say which is my favorite? I don't have them all yet!
    There was a picture posted on this forum a while back that had a Begonia that would probably be the favorite of those I've seen but not grown. I won't say the name lest I look like I'm hinting for cuttings!
    Of what I've got, I guess I like the Rexes best, but they're certainly not the easiest. I guess I just like the color intensity and variability of the leaves. It's also gratifying when they do well, partly because I know they're not always the easiest. However, when Sophie Cecile was big and tall and blooming this summer, there wasn't much that could look prettier. Also even the brightest Rexes don't have much on 'Connee Boswell' (did I spell that right? I know my tag's wrong and I didn't get it changed.) Margaret sent me a couple cuttings of red-leaved canes that are becoming real beauties. As usual, I really can't pick just one.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    20 years ago

Thanks, Elizabeth. If there is any difference, it is only that the spots seem a bit larger on your picture, but of course that could be the light in the photo. If I can't get the photo, I'll try and scan a leaf or two later, which might work just as well.
    Elizabeth, are there any Begonia bowerae hybrids with white edging on the leaves, do you know? I recall you posting that there is one with dark leaves and white eyelashes. I find these plants so fascinating, but can find hardly anything on different ones in books or on the web. I have another whose leaves when new are dark chocolate-brown, getting dark stripes later. It's an eyelash too. Thanks for the help.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    20 years ago

And today, I saw it in another book, called Norah something or other! Perhaps 'Denison', but I'm not sure, and the book is still in the bookshop!

• Begoniac
    20 years ago

'Norah Bedson' (bowerae x strigillosa). I've never grown that one, but I have 'Bethlehem Star' (bowerae x 'Eppley'), a miniature with dark leaves and white eyelashes. It's very cute! You could email Julie Vanderwilt privately through the Y Begonia Group and ask her to send you a list of all the 200+ bowerae hybrids. She has the Japanese list of hybrids.
    Elizabeth

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    20 years ago

Thank you, Elizabeth, for being such a wonderful help. Happy Christmas to you also, and to all!

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    20 years ago

Thanks again, Elizabeth. Julie came up trumps, she is very helpful!

• lavonn
    20 years ago

My 'Nautilus' I got from Elizabeth is one of my favorites! I think 'Cleopatra' is really pretty too. Have some baby 'Escargots' that will surely make my list as they mature! 'Bunchii' is still a favorite, too!

Lavonn

• kasiec
    20 years ago

I don't know much about Begonias, but I love the Dragon Wing or Angel Wing type. I don't know if this is the same type, but for me it is the easiest to grow. I also love the orange Sutherlandii, but it had died down and looks blah...kaput...nothing. Hopefully from what I've learned from this forum, I can revive the Sutherlandii in the spring?

Kasie

• kpj1
    20 years ago

Favourite begonia is Black coffee, but Ilove all the dark ones, rex and rhizomatous.

• RedbudRosebud
    20 years ago

Actually mine WAS an Escargot Begonia. I lost the plant (too much water shame on me) and I can't even find anyone who can tell me what I had. It was a large plant with puckered leaves that curled like a snail, thus the name I am sure. Any help?

• plantlady7788
    19 years ago

My favorite begonia is Joe Hayden, but I lost it a few years ago. I've been looking for it ever since, with no luck.

• susanlynne48
    19 years ago

Just dropped in for a visit on this forum. I used to be heavily involved in the Barkley Branch in Oklahoma City, back when Merle and Kathlyn Calvert were the absolute stars of begonias - took the nationals in Dallas by storm (first time ever the show was held outside of California). Met Don Miller when I lived in Dallas for a couple of years and knew him well. Very fine grower, and if there are any Dallas members on this forum, I wonder if he is still at North Haven Nursery. He propagated tons of begonias for retail sale for them. I used to write for The Begonian quite a bit, but disaster (personal) hit, and I dropped out of sight. The only begonia I have right now, and it is a favorite, is B. evansiana (I think the name has been changed), which overwinters and propagates itself by bulbils. It's gorgeous in my yard. My daughter and granddaughter just moved back in with me, while she is going to school full time and working full time. I have plans, when she graduates, to use my back sunroom to raise begonias once again. There are a lot of hybrids that came out of the OKC areas, results of Dorothy ? (moved to Dallas several years ago, and I don't recall her last name). B. 'Bob Dodd' was one of them, and very popular in its time. Millie Thompson was around then and we bought a lot of our begonias from her. I still have her book, and will treasure it always.

SusanLynne

• mingtea
    Original Author
    19 years ago

hi susan,

it's a pleasure to "meet" you. :)
    i haven't been growing begonias for as long as most everyone on here, but i've come to find it's a pretty knowledgable and friendly circle. i heard one lady tell me about the conventions, "they've never met a stranger." in any case, i'm looking forward to one day going to a convention or doing some travelling so i can meet all the names i keep hearing!

-ming

• micheli
    19 years ago

RICINIFOLIA

• christmascactus
    19 years ago

'Ginny'!! And I lost her :(

• janroze
    19 years ago

Without a doubt the dragon wing. It keeps its color and prolific blooming, in my containers, long after many of my other plants fade in the late summer.
    jan

• BettyBoo
    19 years ago

Angelwings I love!! I lost the name of a Begonia nursery that I ordered last year and have been searching since. Any suggestions? I live in the south on six acres with a potbellied pig named Bacon who weights in at 400 pds. two cats, a cockatiel and 30 chickens that my 88 year old dad plays with. He also loves women!!! and I have a husband who loves to build me all kind of shelves and stuff for more BEGONIA"S so he is a keeper!.we don't have any begonia clubs in Mississippi. Even the garden nursery's seldom get much in but a few common rex and a basic angelwings. Always wanted to go to the convention if it ever gets closer and meet real people like ya'll!!!! I have a small greenhouse off my back porch that my husband built for me that is full of begonia's and my cuttings. My next step is trying to grow the seeds. Betty

• mingtea
    Original Author
    19 years ago

hi betty, and welcome aboard!
    looking forward to reading your posts and perhaps seeing pictures of your begonias. i've never grown from seed, but it's an experience i'd like to tryin the future.

as of now, i've been enjoying watching the new leaves of rex cv. 'Raspberry Crush' unfurl, and one i've had for only a few months, 'Cowardly Lion' has just been delightful.

-ming

• mkjones
    19 years ago

I ADORE my "Cowardly Lion" too, Ming! He's such a warm-hearted, gentle looking begonia.......

=) Kathleen in TX

• looking_glass
    17 years ago

My favorite is the Looking Glass. The leaves get so large with that silvery look with its dark green markings. I'm looking for a curly beefsteak to buy know of any place to purchase??

• bubumeister
    17 years ago

hmmm..so many to choose from...
    Cracklin Rosie, Silvermist, Little Miss Mummy, Othello...I could go on and on and on.....

• elizabeth209
    17 years ago

Hello all
    All the Rex Begonias, My favorite is the Escargot.
    then the Sinbad, two face, tom Ment. so so many.
    I love the Boomer B also.
    LookingGlass, you might try www.accentsforhomeandgarden.com
    click on begonias, really nice plants.Oh and the River Nile B is beautiful also.I just love them all.

• bsimpson
    14 years ago

It has got to be "Lana". Easy grower, profuse bloomer. Quite large but simply beautiful.