Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stacwase

planting over grey water system

stacwase
19 years ago

I recently bought a farm, which has a grey water system. The sink, shower, dishwasher, washer & dryer drain out, slightly underground, about 15 feet behind the house, in a mostly sunny area. The soil remains soggy year-round, and doesn't stay frozen in the winter.

The area is only a few feet away from my giant, 100+ year old lilac bushes which attract literally thousands of birds throughout the year.

We use environmentally-friendly detergents.

At first, I was considering installing a tank to hold the water, which I would then pump out to my vegetable garden. However, I got to thinking that, for once in my life, I might be able to grow some moisture-loving plants.

Do you have any ideas regarding what might look good there, keeping in mind that the soil will be very rich (food scraps from dishwasher) and never dries out completely?

Bird- and butterfly-friendly plantings would be ideal.

Also - any ideas for keeping the mosquitos under control there?

Comments (5)

• webfeeet
    19 years ago

environmentally friendly, bath soap, shampoo, cream rinse and all the other 753 different items that are dumped down the sink, washer and shower?

That said...if you sod over the entire area and NEVER cut the grass that grows there you will pretty much guarantee good mosquito control.

Then just cut a hole through the sod for any kind of moisture loving plant you wish. Cattails are a good start. Willows are great. Asparagus is wonderful. Tomatoes will love it. Joe Pye would thrive. Pennywort and watercress would be great and form a real nice barrier against mosquitos when combined with the sod.

Al the above are loved by birds...

• Pookiesmom
    19 years ago

I am interested in doing bioremidiation using plants and a bog garden. It definitely can be done...this is a great article that details everything..unfortunately teh chap lives in Australia so the plants he uses would nt be suitable for your location but do a googel search using phytoremediation and you can narrow it to your bioregion.

http://frogs.org.au/frogwatch/greywater.php

• wilddog
    19 years ago

This describes what I did in similar situation. We live in a 200 year old log cabin seated on its original foundation.
    A bog septic system has the normal septic tank then the affluent flows through a bog which eats the dead organism that ate the sewage. The roots go down to the liquid and feeds on the result of this process. This is acting like a Bokaski composting system. We plumbed our shower out the back of our house into a constructed bog. We keep a bucket at the back door for household waste and kitchen scraps, this is dumped into the entry of the bog septic system. Most of us are gardeners which is the main reason I mention this. Plants grow like weeds in this system.
    The construction is like a pond made from a rubber liner then filled with hardwood mulch to begin the process. I piled the mulch up as you might do for a raised bed. You can substitute any organic matter for the hardwood mulch which was what was available at the time. My first thought was to plant bog plants but before I could get around to bog plants I planted daylilies and hosta which just love it. Before you say that hosta or daylilies donÂt like wet feet, they have prospered for years. IÂve planted a long list of plants in this system, all have done really, REALLY well including a dwarf tree.
    Before anyone expresses fear, a properly sized "Bog Septic System" is safer than a normal septic system, in fact you could poop in one end and drink the water coming out of the other end. I sat it up so that the over flow goes into our pond and fish are doing well. To get ahead of the first question; no the soap has never caused a problem. IÂve never added fertilizer except the occasional urine in the bucket of household waste.
    This would make a great way to handle rain water that is causing an erosion problem, capturing air conditioner condensate. If you canÂt picture either of these, IÂll explain.

• kate_rose
    19 years ago

Cool stuff wilddog. DARN those planning regulations in cities. I'm not even sure we are allowed to do greywater here & my SO is unconvinced that it is even sanitary though we did fine with it when I was a kid.

Anyway to dry up a boggy area if thats what you want to do you could put in cottonwoods or willows. They will prosper & keep water from pooling at the surface so much thus controlling your mosquito problem. If you have a permanent pool/pond mosquito fish will keep them in check. If you want more beautiful things I would go with lobelia, irises, lilies, hostas, etc. You could even plant it in a sort of formalized way if you are into that. Stepping stones could provide a path through the garden. There are so many possiblities. I am not sure what zone it likes but Clematis crispa is supposed to be a bog friendly vine.

Enjoy

(I must admit to a bit of jealousy). It is so dry here that I collect rainwater to keep my pond & bogs going.

• wilddog
    19 years ago

My system does not meet code, I asked the plumber to plumb it to the bog. Said he couldn't do it because it didn't meet code so I asked if would plumb it into the yard and I would get another plumber to finish the job. He smiled and said ok. I can't imagine any problem unless someone complains and then you meet code which is what you would have done anyway.

Sponsored