Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where can I buy frogs or tadpoles?

Posted by
Christine - 7 or 8
(cbrock@nsn.cmar.navy.mil) on
Fri, Jan 12, 01 at 13:28

I live in the city and don't have access to ponds, creeks, and lakes in which to try catching wild frogs and pollywogs for my backyard pond and bog garden. I would like to buy them from mail order but cannot find any good suppliers. Lilipons sells them...but not cheap. I don't want to spend alot of money on creatures that may or may live and/or even hang around long. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where can I buy frogs or tadpoles?

Fix up a little pond in the ground--the size of a birdbathe is plenty big. I gurantee the frogs will come. and it does not take long either.

o

I agree with Janice- as far as I know, there aren't any other water sources within a mile or two of my pond and the first year I dug it I had frogs appear. I have seen tadpoles in some pet stores during the gardening season and if you have a really complete, full service nursery near you, they might carry them, especially if they have a water garden section and sell pond fish.

o

I agree w/ Cindy and Janice...if you build it they will come. I have two ponds and they are always over run w/ tadpoles, frogs, turtles,snakes(Yikes!)and other wild life. Of course I live in the country not a quarter mile from a lake so that doesn't hurt.

o

yes build a pond first. I built mine in a week end with a rubber lining.
put natural plants in it . Then go out and find a natural pond take some water from it at different times of the year, It will be full of seeds etc . In Feb or March take a little frog spawn from it -- not much, and watch it grow you will need some way for the mature froglets to climb out and somewhere damp and sheltered for the frogs to live. Note only one or frogs will result.
Take at least two lots of frog spawn so as to get genetic variation.

o

• Posted by
    EHamel - 9 - TX
    (ehamel@ev1.net) on
    Thu, Jan 18, 01 at 22:06

I get toads spawning every year in several containers I have in my yard - sometimes a 5 gallon bucket, and don't ask me how they get into that! Last year a frog of some sort showed up in my 45 gal. container pond and stayed around for several weeks. I'm in Houston, very urban, and they're around. I have some good habitats for the grown toads, too, so they stay around in my yard after they grow up.

They're probably in your area, too, if you have the right conditions they'll show up. In the meantime, going to a tropical fish store in the spring is a good idea. The ones around here frequently have bullfrog tadpoles, which get large and live for a long time before graduating to big frogs. However, do you want a bullfrog or two or three living in your back yard, the noise might not bother you, but I'll bet you have some neighbors who won't like it!

o

If you want a quantity and live in the right area try the yellow pages & FISH SHOPS. Call them & ask if they sell live bait (frogs) - (some states/areas no good). Find their wholesaler & go to them. Cheap if you find. It will be seasonal - I had someone looking (too late) last year - but if had been earlier - could have been free with only cost shipping.

o

As someone who has to do a frog census several times a year, I would like to make a few comments. First, frogs will find the water. I live a mile from the nearest body of water, and if you know how to find them, you can find toads and grey treefrogs if you spend a lot of time looking here.

Also, do NOT release purchased frogs or tadpoles. I can state several reasons why not to. First of all, the majority of tadpoles sold in pet stores are bullfrog tadpoles. I have seen bullfrogs wipe out entire frog populations in isolated areas. Cricket frogs, chorus frogs, tree frogs, even leopard frogs just vanish. Amphibians are on the decline, and releasing amphibians which eat other amphibians is not a good idea.

The other issue is of course parasites. Numerous species of frogs and toads have become extinct in part to, or completely due to a skin parasite which has spread almost entirely across the globe on imported frogs.

And finally, in several cases, it is illegal to sell native species in certain states (such as here in Iowa). The pet shops often don't realise that they are breaking the law, or just don't care. But there are reasons for those laws being in place.

o

We have a house at the river which has a cement trough on the property that takes the runoff from a spring and is about 12" deep. The water is always flowing into the trough, even in a drought. We've only had the house since last August, but I've never seen frogs in it. Is it not deep enough? I was planning to buy some tadpoles this year and see if they will become frogs and stay around, but if it's not deep enough, I won't bother.

o

• Posted by
    coastal geek
    (geek@arbg.com) on
    Thu, Mar 22, 01 at 14:39

i agree whole heartedly with DON'T BUY FROGS OR TADPOLES !
there are serious ecological issues with bringing in species not native to your area.

as many have indicated above, if you build a pond, what ever amphibians live in your area will find it. it may take a few months but patience is a virtue....

o

• Posted by
    carol_jo MT z3
    (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 23, 01 at 7:23

I did make the mistake of buying tadpoles at the petshop and then later finding out they would be bull frogs, or as the pet shops said, "your guess is as good as mine,but probably bull frogs" I took the wogs to school for the kids to watch turn into frogs and they had a great time, but once they were frogs I really didn't want frogs in my house and did not want to turn them loose. I was luck as another pet shop took them in and found a frog lover who adopted them and I am releaved to know they will not be released and do hard to our native frogs.

Carol Jo

o

I built a pond but nothing came. I got one of those preformed ponds from Home Depot. I went to a stream and collected rocks to put around it. So far I haven't planted much. But what I really wanted was frogs. I do have two small fish in it, but that's all. There is a stream near my house. Do birds really carry frog eggs in on their wings? Thanks.

o

Maybe this suggestion will please all concerned. Locate a local garden club or maybe just ask around until you find someone living near you who has a pond. Ask them if they have tadpoles or frogs, (I'll bet the answer is YES!), then ask them whether the frogs found their pond naturally or if they purchased them. Again, I'll wager the frogs found them. At that point, just ask if you can come over and get some tadpoles - much easier than catching the frogs. You could also use the Gardenweb Member Search, (www.gardenweb.com/members/search.cgi) to locate other gardenweb members in your state and e-mail them with these questions. I'll bet you find someone living nearby who would love to share the native frogs or toads - and the frogs and toads will love it, too! I've only been using these forums for three weeks and I've already found three members living within twenty miles of me - and I wasn't trying to find them! Good Luck.

o

While I definitely agree getting them from another ponder or in the wild is the cheapest and for many the easiest solution, there are some places on the web that sell them. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any that are cheap. I got most of mine from a local area wetland where they reappear every spring, but I wanted to get some bullfrog tadpoles also, so I ordered those off the web. They're around $20 for a dozen (they're big, so a dozen is a good start for a small pond) at Berkshire Biological http://www.berkshirebio.com/index.html. All of them arrived healthy and are doing fine, one even had legs. William Tricker also sells smaller ones, but they're very expensive considering you'd probably want alot more than a dozen of a smaller variety. My larger pond gets them naturally every year, but I usually need to add them to the smaller preformed pond I have. One other comment on tadpoles, even the smaller ones...I've witnessed them eating some of my water plants even though they supposedly only eat algae and other debris. They chewed my mosaic plant apart along with some water snowflakes. They also got my sensitive plant (had to move it to another pond to recover) and love duckweed (they eat the root off). They haven't really done any permanent damage, but they will eat plants sometimes (these were the tiny ones, not bullfrogs)...Hope that helps!

o

Last year my son and I had such a good time going to a neighbor's pond (found her on the web - i hour drive) where he caught tree frogs to his hearts content and I made a new friend. We came home, put a little plastic fence around our pond for a month and they lived there. Then we removed the fence. They are back this year and doing great!

o

Contrary to popular belief, bullfrogs are NOT everywhere. There are none in my immediate area. I have hunted the surrounding ditches and streams for tads. So I was forced to buy some tads from an aquatic nursury for $1 each. I hope they memorize my pond and return next year.
Linda

o

Linda, you are correct. Bullfrogs aren't everywhere. They aren't supposed to be everywhere. In areas where they aren't native and have been introduced, they have played havoc on the native species.
Importing any type of amphibian not native to your local area can destroy local genetic variations. And those variations are lost FOREVER.
If in doubt about the legality of importing animals, check with your local Department of Natural Resources. They'll have the legal aspects in hand.
If you have bodies of water close by, you have frogs and other amphibians. You just need to be present when they are reproducing. Patience is also a virtue.
The moral aspects of such actions are up to you.....be careful and conscientious.

o

Hi,
I live in Novato,Ca., and a few years ago Ihad numerous small frogs. Most were brown, and a few were a real pretty green, both were about the size of a quarter. Anyway I had them for a few years. I didn't have a pond,they "lived"in the saucers I had under my potted plants on my deck. They've been gone now for a number of years, I don't know why they left, but I would like to have them back. Any suggestions on how I can do this? Also my garden is now geared for butterflies, are the two compatible? Looking forward to any & all suggestions.
Sandy

o

NOOOO
Frogs and butterflys are NOT compatable. Bullfrogs will eat anything that flys near them....inc. butterflys, hummingbirds. If you want butterflys, plant your nectar plants far enough away from the frog site.

also, I don't think you had frogs under your saucers...probably was toads. Toads start as eggs/tadpoles in water, grow legs, leave the water, and only return during mating. Toads like shaded, cool spots during the day, but come out at dusk/evening, esp. during mating season.

o

I have got to tell you all about the bull frog tadpoles that got into my patio water garden. The kids put three tadpoles in there and when Fall came around I drug the half barrel into my bedroom, set up the light system and actually forgot the tadpoles were in there. One night a loug splash woke us and lo and behold, there was a bull frog hanging onto the side of the barrel. The three frogs stayed in there all winter and gave us many songfull nights. A little unnerving and we were very glad to move that barrel back out in the spring. Those tadpoles must have been very close to maturing when the kids put them in there. Believe me not recommended. I will never do that again!

Bev

o
RE: Where can I buy frogs or tadpoles & Newts.I

I have had my pond for a year and have got goldfish and their babies so I would like to expand with frogs and newts.
Have tried various outlets to no avail. So someone please help me to expand my wildlife. Thanking anyone in anticipation.

o

Well,

I think you all should come out here and visit me! I have frogs, bullfrogs, toads and newts! (and some other undesirable animals, like racoons and deer!!)

I put a couple hundred tadpoles in the pond my first year and later found many toads hoping around at dusk, or hopping out of the way when I mowed the lawn. (I have to mow slowly, never hurt anything that I know of).

I also had frogs living in the saucers of plants. They weren't toads, wood frogs with brown patches and moist skin.

I put three bullfrog tadpoles in the pond too. Two got eaten/mauled by the racoon (argh!!! My poor friends, Jerry and Spot). One is still safe.

I collected a pair of mating newts and put them in. When they laid eggs, I collected them and raised them in an aquarium. Later that summer, I added 35 baby newts to the pond!

All of these animals came from a natural pond less than a mile away so I don't feel badly about moving them from their location, it's not too far away. Certainly, not across state lines!

I realize that some species eat others. Birds and other wildlife eat frogs and newts too. I am not sure how many made it through the winter but I hope some are happy in my organic garden and pond.

o

This is really funny. I never thought of anyone wanting frogs or tadpoles. I live on Swamp Fox Rd. and the name speaks for itself. The frogs will keep you up at night chirping all night long. When I clean out my ponds I usually remove buckets full of frogs. When it rains before the puddles were dried up they are full of tadpoles and my kids used to spend the days moving the tadpoles to big ponds to save them. I wish I could mail you some.....

o

Hi All,
I nice fella gave me this website yesterday..if you are still looking here it is http://williamtricker.safeshopper.com/62/cat62.htm?872 boy Oh boy I love this copy and paste thing..much easier than typing all of this jargen out. my problem is it is in the states and I would not be able to get them across the border..bummer, I was looking for clams to help filter the pond.

o

Would you believe I was walking past the diapers in a grocery store and five year old son (at the time)found a green frog on a shelf. Well, you know I had to catch that thing and take it home. The lady at the floral area gave me a bag to put him in, and when we got home, I released him in out pond. (He probably came in to the store on some veggies.) Well, I think that guy is still around and has grown. I see him often (I know where he hangs out) and I have not seen any other frogs in the area - many toads, though. Well yesterday, I took the watering can out of the greenhouse to fill it, and as it was filling, a small green frog jumped out. I caught him and returned him to the greenhouse - and he looks exactkly like the one I caught at the store. I guess there is another one around somewhere - Momma, Daddy, and baby.

o

All of you are so lucky to have frogs around. I in So Cal and by a lake I've never seen any frogs before in my life. Well, maybe at the pet shop, but I would like some frogs. Any suggestions on a tiny,miniature,species of frogs?

o

they sell bullfrog tadpoles at www.koiman.com

o

I wish you could come over here. I have about 400 tadpoles in a tank and kiddie pool. I have bullfrogs coming out my ears and down by the lak in my backyard the noise is unbelieveable (but we love the sounds). I found the most beautiful tree frogs with bright yellow bellies. We have soft tan colored frogs, all kinds of frogs. I can't imagine not having frogs but what I don't get is bullfrogs eat koi. And so, why would you WANT them!!!! ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

o

I have a pond full, want me to mail them to you?
Lisa

o

Tell a kid you're looking for frogs or tadpoles. They'll need no more excuse to go hunting for you, and present their trophies for your pond.

o

• Posted by Lynx 7-Central VA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 31, 02 at 22:10

Is this a green frog? I only find pics of mature frogs so it's hard to figure out what they look like. And maybe the females are different? Did't know newts lived in water. Have two fat tadpoles in small pool from neighbors pool (been there a couple months).

I think build it and they will come works.

Here is a link that might be useful: Is this a young green frog?

o

I agree with those who say "build it and they will come"

I also kind of get a kick out of someone actually looking for them cuz we have them in such abundance that they are a nuisance, but cute. They climb the windows in the summer giving us a frog-bottom-underside view that one does not normally see. They also clog up the pump in our fountain.
Racoons and Blue Herons feast on them around the pond but never seem to diminish the supply.

Mari

o

Build it and they sure won't come to a suburb where the lawn care trucks visit on a regular basis. (Well, maybe they try to get here but they soon die) We have lived in the suburbs of Chicago for 30 years and have yet to see a frog or tadpole. We have a farm 100 miles west of here and tadpoles will appear in any little body of standing water. They are so cute. I love them but would never consider taking them home to the burbs.

If they could exist here, they would be here, but the neighbors would rather have weed free green lawns.

o

When we put in two small ponds at our old address many years ago, we had frogs move in within weeks. Haven't lived there for years and this summer put in two small ponds here were we now live. NO Frogs arrived, much to my unhappiness!

o

i perform frog surgeries, diagnos and i am the all around frog,toad pet doctor! i live in houston email me if you have any questions comments or are interested in my services!

o

This is a long thread, so maybe I missed the suggestion, but have you thought of giving a couple of neighborhood kids a few bucks and some jars? I'll bet they can find them for you. (Even in the city)

Here is a link that might be useful: Deborah's Garden

o

They sell Bullfrogs, not native frogs. No way am I introducing Bullfrogs into my garden.

o

Just a quick reply to some of the messages above. Yes, there are plenty of places that sell frogs, newts, tadpoles, and even their eggs. But it's best (for ecological reasons) to collect your own for an outdoor pond. Now if you want frogs as pets, that's another story! One thing to remember - fish in ponds will eat tadpoles and eggs!

o

If there are plenty of places that sell frogs or tadpoles, then why is it nearly impossible to find any to buy??? The only place listed above sells Bullfrogs, not native frogs.

o

Last year I collected a gazillion tadpoles out of my neighbor's pool just before the pool guy came and started it up for the summer. Lots of people around here let their pool go untended during the winter months and it becomes a froggie paradise. When the pool guy comes late spring or early summer and dumps in all the chemicals it's bye, bye froggies---so save some frogs from chemical destruction this year! Collect them from your neighbor's pools!

Penny in SC

o

does anyone know of someone that raises frogs commercialy?
frog leggs

o

My local aquariam/pond supply store carries them. I was used to seeing the little half inch long tadpoles, and OMG I could not believe the size of Bullfrog tadpoles, They are huge!!! Thought maybe they were some kind of mutant. LOL anyway. Just thought I'd put in my two cents.

o

I would like to know where I can obtain the following species Northern Cricket Frog, Gray Treefrog, Green Treefrog, Northern Spring Peeper, Pickerel Frog, Northern Leopard Frog, Green Frog, and Bullfrog. I would prefer tadpoles of the species. Please reply with reliable answers.
And for those of you who believe that only species of your area should be supplied so that the habitat is the same as it was years ago, I agree. I am trying to restock the habitat with these frogs which used to be in my neighborhood. Since there has been development in the area the habitat was destroyed, and I am fixing up areas for these species to live. Please help me get the habitat back to how it was. Thank you.

o

DON'T BUY FROGS! As most folks have already stated, build them a favorable environment and they will come! Do not encourage (by purchasing, thus creating a market) idiots to remove wildlife from their natural home! I put out a couple of 6'long, 12"high water tanks for my dogs and frogs took over one of them! I had a few cylinders and stacked flat stones and made them a habitat inside the water tank and have tadpoles galore! I live in the country so the frogs belong here by nature. Do not be selfish and put these living creatures in an environment where they do not belong.

o

• Posted by Jonesy z6 midwest (My Page) on
    Tue, May 27, 03 at 17:13

I have easy access to bull frogs, but no luck in keeping them. I read it takes a very long time for bullfrog tadpoles to mature, so I was glad to find large ones in the drainage ditch 1/2 block away. Eventually I hear a very weak croaking sound then nothing. I assume they leave for a bigger body of water like the creek.

o

• Posted by Jroot 5B Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 1, 03 at 21:16

I agree that they will come naturally. However, a note of interest. I went to the local pet shop to get some feeder fish for my pond @ $.16 each. There I saw lots of frogs including albino frogs - totally white. Would that ever look freeky at night. The raccoons wouldn't have to hunt so long. No, I did not buy them, but some sucker will, no doubt about it.

o

If you want to buy bullfrogs you can call and order them from Rana Ranch Commerical Bullfrogs. The telephone number is 1-208-734-0899. PO box 1043 Twin Falls, ID. 83303-1043. The owners name is Steve Rivas. He ships UPS on Mondays and Tuesdays after he receives your check. They come next day Air. I personally ordered and they were healthy and fat and sleak. I agree it is so hard to find any place that sells them year round. You can call for a price list. I high recommend them. Happy Frogging Don-1

o

For anyone interested in purchasing bullfrogs, please take a moment to visit this site-

http://web.uvic.ca/enweb/courses/318/Assignment3/KellyWake.htm

o

I have probably a million if not more tadpoles in my 90 gallon pond along with ummmmm 5 goldfish and 2 koi... am planning on dipping some out and moving them to a pond off the back of our property (out in woods) But thought I'd offer these on here first..if there is anyone near me that would like to come take them a bushel full please feel free to email me.. I'm located near Zanesville Ohio and am very happy to share my tadpoles with anyone willing to come get them. Plan on dipping them out this week so contact me asap if you can come get some. :-)

Happy Gardening To Ya'll!
BillieJean

o

Of course I live in Louisiana, the swamp state, and I live not far from a river and swamp area. I don't have a pond but I do have an inground swiming pool. If the frogs had their way about it, it would be a frog pond. They get in the pool at night and wind up in the skimmer. Some big and a lot of them little. At night the big ones croak so loud that you can't hear the radio or tv. Any suggestions on how to discourage so many frogs from coming around. When it rains you drive down the road and they are jumping everywhere. I am not saying I don't like them, I just don't want/need so many. I see everything from little green ones on my plants to the big gray/black ones hiding in the shrubs.

If I could box them and sell them I could afford to move to higher ground. LOL

o

I have alot of tadpoles, as in several thousand at the very least, in our currently unused pool. I want to get rid of them but I don't want to see them all die. If anyone in the Connecticut area is interested in taking some they are welcome to them. Or if anyone has any ideas I am open to suggestions. They may be those little green tree frogs because there are alot of those around too.

o

Sammy,

Where do you live in CT? If you still have tadpoles and you are not too far away I would love some.

Lori

o

Does anyone has some tadpoles of bullfrogs can send me some? I really love them. I'll pay the shipping cost and the price you charge. Thanks. I live in city there were only freeways, mountain rocks, and ocean. Pretty tough to see any ponds, or rivers. I wish I can have some of them. Please email me at thinh1@yahoo.com

o

Hi All, frogs like places to hide in and around the pond. I have green frogs who came by theselves, toads when they mate, and tree frogs, as well as bullfrogs (which I bought). They seem to be coexisting very well. Oh, I bought the bullfrogs at a place that raises fish (fish hatchery) where, in their large ponds, they apparently love it (lots of little fish to eat, I am sure).

o

• Posted by KWoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 28, 05 at 10:08

Be careful of introducing bullfrogs in a small or closed system. At least in my experience they eventually out compete (eat) all other frogs and many fish.

Here is a tip. When pool companies open up swimming pools in spring for their customers many times they find that frogs have already used the water on top of the cover to lay eggs. Sometimes there are even tadpoles. Call a local pool company and ask if this happens to them. When I worked for a nature center we used to do "Frog rescues" from pool companies every spring and got many, many tadpoles of all kinds for the nature center and surrounding area. Be careful to be responsible, do your research and try to identify the species before you start introducing/spreading any tadpoles around this or any other way.

Carolina Biological Supply has frogs and tadpoles. Ward's Biological Supply probably does too.

o

One thing to try is going to your local pet store. Often when they get in their "feeder" fish, there are tadpoles mixed in and some stores will give them away to anyone that asks. Last summer I had 6 Tadpoles that all turned to frogs. I moved this winter and took my pond with me. When I drained it I found one solitary frog left over and he was burried in the mud at the bottom. I put him in an aquarium with my 3 big gold fish. I got a huge tadpole from the pet store and put him in the aquarium and the little frog ate the tadpole (the tail was still hanging out of the frogs mouth 3 hours later). So much for family ties!

o

• Posted by Jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 13, 05 at 15:39

I was going to say that the local pet store might be a source. The last time I was in, they even had albino frogs. They were rather cute, but $$$. All white though.

o

Are you sure you want one? We put in our pond last year, no frogs showed up, it was very peaceful. This spring a couple of days ago, the racket started! This is the loudest, shrillest sounding frog I've ever heard, be glad if you don't get any. I miss my peaceful pond...

o

Just for the interest...

http://www.berkshirebio.com/index.html

o

This is a great thread, I agree with everyone who suggested giving some kids jars and offering a dollar a frog (make a maximum LIMIT though-I remember my brother and I catching a LOT as kids) and you'll have some local frogs. I also think it's a great idea to add frogs to your profile for trade or giveaway so people who want them can easily find someone in their area. I have plenty to give away from my pond, we're in the Puget Sound area..
I also agree with everyone about introducing non-native species of frogs, please do NOT do this!

o

I hate bringing up an old thread. But, here goes.

As my user name indicates, I raise and release butterflies year-round in Central Florida. I keep getting told of the native species of frogs, namely the green tree frog, that has been just about wiped away from my area and I would like to do the same with them where I raise & release them into the wild. It's a great hobby for me and my daughter. I would like info on getting some of these frogs or tadpoles if anyone has information.

o

Most of the year round, there are various tadpoles of a size suitable to travel available here (not bullfrogs)

Tadpoles collected from any of several ponds may be -

Southern, American toad, Gray, Green treefrog, Leopard, Pickerel, Chorus frogs, Spring peepers plus a few others

Trades for newt or salamander tadpoles would be good

contact me at starnes54@aol.com

o

I love in San Diego County and it's pretty dry here. Right now, I am working on building a nice size pond. I don't like Koi, though. So, I was thinking about putting tads or frogs in it. But there are not any areas here with tads in them, so can someone help me?!!!
I'm willing to pay for shipping and more, so can you email me at Jaws_591@yahoo.com?!!
Thanks, I appreciate it! Oh, and especially give me an email if you have anything but bullfrogs!

o

Bullfrogs are not native West of the Rockies. They are causing extinction of native frogs in Western States.

It may be illegal to import or to even have bullfrogs in your possession in AZ, CA, OR, WA and BC Canada.

The California Red Legged Frog is on the brink of extinction due in part to predation by bullfrogs.

Bullfrogs will eat anything that they can fit into their mouths including your fish, birds, other frogs, newts, and mice in addition to bugs.

Please be very careful when introducing bullfrogs into your ponds and if you are West of the Rockies, just don't do it.

o

Hello Everyone. I have a small pond with a Big frog problem.I have thousands of pond frogs and would like to remove them.I can only catch a few hundred a week to clear out atm unless theres a better way then to sain them without hurting my minnow poppulation.
My name is Jeff Ramsey of Warrens Wisconsin.Please contact me if you would like to addopt a few frogs, at 1-608-378-4557 . TYVM LFTTS.

o

• Posted by wfike 8, Atlanta, Ga. (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 2, 07 at 10:52

Jeff, sounds like you need a 3 or 4 pb. bass or catfish. They love frogs, catfish espescialy like them. With a lot of frogs they might not bother the minnows.

o

I am getting my tadpoles from a nursery that has lots of water gardens. They have tons of tadpoles in their display water gardens and the help will scoop them out for us.

Don't use clorinated water in your bog, it will hurt your tadpoles!!

Michele_1

o

i have tons of tadpoles in my pool you are more than welcome to come and get them all bring lots of containers to take them home with you i have baby frogs just coming out of the water as well please come and get them so they dont die my husband wants to clean the pool and lots of them will die

o

i live in orlando fl and i have about four giffent kinds of tadpoles in my pool i have no idea what kind them are some are small almost black or dark green and some are a bronze color and some are a brown color and some are a gray color the brown colored ones are about the size of a small mice please help let me know what you think they might be in live in the orlando fl area anyone who would like these guys please let me know just bring your own containers to bring them home in thanks save a frogs life

o

Toad tadpoles are solid black. All other tadpoles are types of frogs.

Search Google Images for +tadpole +frog to find images of frog tadpoles.

o
Where can I buy frogs, newts,sals, tadpoles?

I am in desperate need of help! If anyone can help me because I really want to enhance me and my moms ponds. They are wonderful but have no wildlife to them. Frogs, newts, salamanders, turtles, and of course tadpoles are soo hard to find and to come across. If anyone can help out in any way. If u have any that you dont want and want them to go to a good home please contact me. I will pay s/h and would really really apriciate it alot. Just let me know the cost and what u ahve available. nigerianprincess215@yahoo.com is where i can be contacted. Thanks so much it really means alot

o

I would love a few bullfrog tadpoles (or even halfway matured ones), they're pretty rare where i live, and expensive in pet stores (and rare)

id love to paypal someone $5 who wants to ship me a few tadpoles, that would be excellent

email me or call me if you're interested
wiouxev@gmail.com
952 465 8705

o

Friends - There is a man in Louisiana named DOZIER LESTER who has Bullfrogs & tadpoles for sale. He has a website at http://www.bullfrogs-louisiana.com/. His phone# 337-984-1465. I have purchased from him several times in the last 10 years. He is a real good honest person. Prices are reasonable also. He shipped to me in Anderson, IN and all critters were safe & sound.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Wed, May 7, 08 at 15:38

Spreading bullfrogs around, introducing thm to ecosystems where they don't already exist, is a really ba-ad idea.

o

Evan,

Your phone number indicates that you are in Minneapolis, right?

Bullfrogs are not native to your part of Minnesota, and there is the potential for them to become a harmful invasive species. According to the link below, in Minnesota "it is illegal to sell, buy or possess a bullfrog or tadpole -- except as fishing bait -- without a DNR permit."

Here is a link that might be useful: DNR Worries Bullfrogs Are MN's Invasive Species

o

Bullfrogs are not native here on Long Island (NY) either as far as I know. Yet when I saw tadpoles at the local pond department of a well known nursery, they were bullfrogs. I would never buy them.

I bought Leopard Frog (AKA Grass Frog or Meadow Frog) tadpoles mailorder here-

Here is a link that might be useful: Wards

o

Hello anyone near Stockton California with local tadpoles I can come get? I don't have the time to go pond hopping to look for them
Thanks

o

I posted this on the Pond and Aquatic Plants discussion forum - at least on here there seem to be smoe people who are against this, which is great. I am posting this message, unaltered, which I posted on the other forum asking the exact same question.

-----

Wow...wow...I don't know where to begin here...As an amphibian biologist this thread is absolutely jaw-dropping, sorry guys.
All of you are probably unaware of the huge problems amphibians are facing right now due to foreign pathogens being spread by humans. Amphibians are declining worldwide - its not false alarm, they are there one year, gone the other. A lot of this problem is due to people inadvertently spreading lethal pathogens from one place to another - the two most notorious ones are Batrachochytridium dendrobatidis (called "Chytrid" for short) and Ranavirus. These are decimating frog populations worldwide - especially in northern latitudes and high elevations. This stuff is highly contagious and is spread via shoes, nets, other frogs and once in an area lives on indefinitely in the soil.

Going into the genetics area - buying animals from non-local sources and releasing them into your ponds...My god...sorry, but this is ridiculous. People are complaining about taking leopard frogs from NC (where Carolina Biological Supply is) and having them die when they get to NY ... just because you have northern leopard frogs and red-spotted newts in your state doesn't mean that those animals will survive there. Lets put this is plant-terms - red maples (Acer rubrum) range from Maine to Florida. Do you really think that a red maple from Florida transplanted in Maine will thrive, or even survive?? How about vice versa?? There are local genetics that should be preserved in your area - that is why those animals are able to persist there. Assuming some of these animals you bring in survive and breed with the local animals, the offspring will not be as adapted to your particular region as the native ones. Here's an example - Gray treefrogs (Hyla versicolor/chrysocelis) have a huge range - animals at southern populations will breed earlier than animals at northern populations because they have evolved to not have to deal with late hard freezes that could kill the eggs for that year. You bring in animals that have evolved to breed earlier in the season (say, April instead of June) and you have a hard frost or freeze that destroys all the eggs. Just touching on hibernation ... even though they are the same species, do you think that frogs that are used to hibernating in North Carolina will successfully hibernate in New York?? Geesh...

Alright, now to touch on the legality issues of this. It is ILLEGAL to release pets into the wild. If you bought those animals, they are considered pets - your property - and releasing them into an area where they can escape into the wild is illegal. In most states the regulations state that animals cannot be displaced more than 50 feet from their point of capture. Now I realize that everyone moves stuff around, but this is truly for the protection of those animals in the long-run - but there are things that could be done....I'll discuss them here:

Alright - you are too impatient for frogs to come on their own volition. DON'T BUY ANIMALS AND RELEASE THEM - YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY HAVE COME IN CONTACT WITH. Here's what you can do - drive around nearby, visit garden centers or farm ponds or wet fields - or even better, visit a construction site or golf course pond. Deep tire ruts made my earthmoving equipment are favorite sites for amphibians to breed in - visit some newly developing LOCAL areas and move those tadpoles from the construction site - they won't get plowed over, you get your native, LOCAL amphibians. I have done this myself here and in other states - granted I've done it under permit and its technically called either "repatriation" or "translocation" - but in all honesty no one is going to go after you for moving tadpoles from a construction site or golf course pond to your pond.

Alright - now for ANOTHER thing - how many of you have FISH in your ponds? Fish and amphibians DO NOT MIX. I can send any of you countless papers and accounts supporting that. Very few amphibians can live and breed alongside fish. Think of a big pond or lake stocked with fish - what amphibians do you see there? Bullfrogs, maybe green frogs and toads. Go to vernal pool or fishless pond - the diversity literally goes up by as many as a dozen species of amphibians in most areas in the East. Fish are huge predators on eggs, larvae, and even adult amphibians - if you have fish in your pond, no wonder you don't have any amphibians there.

Lastly, about bullfrogs - how many of you know that bullfrogs have been introduced throughout the world and are a pest species that is causing huge ecological problems everywhere? In California, bullfrogs were introduced thanks to people putting them in their ponds, now as a result they are eating native species of frogs (california red-legged frog, yellow-legged frogs, arroyo toads) which are now considered threatened or endangered species. They are even eating hatchlings of the Western Pond Turtle (Actinemys marmorata), another threatened species. Bullfrogs are opportunistic animals that cause SEVERE ecological problems in area where they do not belong.

That said - sorry for the rant, but you all seriously need to do some research on this stuff before you try and manipulate your ecosystem. Take responsibility for your actions and do your homework. DO NOT BUY ANIMALS TO RELEASE INTO YOUR PONDS - IT IS ILLEGAL, UNETHICAL, AND COULD RESULT IN IRREPARABLE DAMAGE TO YOUR LOCAL ECOSYSTEM.

~Mike

o

To clarify some things on Mikes post above:

it is not necc. 'ILLEGAL' to release 'pets' into the wild. Most laws are of the form that it is 'illegal to release a non-native species into the wild.' I guess the point is that you don't really know if a species is native because they can look very similar but not be the same.

As for bullfrogs, they are native to most of the United States (including Long Island, NY). After all, they are the state amphibian of Oklahoma, Missouri, Iowa and North Carolina. If you live east of the rockies, they are likely native. The USGS has a map of the current habitat of bullfrogs.

As for California and bullfrogs taking over because of escaping from backyard pnds, this is just silly. Bullfrogs were introduced into CA around the 1920s as a food source.

I am not saying bullfrogs are your best choice, but before you get them check your local laws (or for any other amphibian). As one poster pointed out, MN has some of the most strict laws related to bullfrogs. Most states have no restrictions because the frogs are native or already have an established habitat.

Don't listen to rhetoric on this board, do your own homework.

o

Mon, Jul 14, 08 at 11:10

"it is not necc. 'ILLEGAL' to release 'pets' into the wild."

And yet, it is incredibly mindless and likely damaging to the local ecosystem.

Lots of very good information in Mike's post. Lots of things to think about, give consideration to and do your own due diligence on.

Spreading bullfrogs around, introducing them to ecosystems where they don't already exist, is a really ba-ad idea.

o

"And yet, it is incredibly mindless and likely damaging to the local ecosystem."

I never said it wasn't.

However, I don't like the idea of providing false information as a way of making a point. Stating that it is 'illegal' to release, by his definition of 'pets' is just false. People can buy doves, pigeons, phesants, ducks, trout, (this list goes a long way) which by his definition are 'pets' but it is legal (in most places) to release them. Heck, I (or you) can go buy little fish to throw in ponds to eat mosquitos and we would not be prosecuted. It is often encouraged (remember that the South had very bad malaria problems when it came to settling and most cities still have vector control).

Anyhow, rather than picking a bone with you, I suggested that people do their own homework. I agree that it is a bad idea when people spread them where they don't belong, or as you stated 'don't already exist.' Going by your statement, about 80% of America, they exist (see link)

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/herps/amphibid/species/bullfrog.htm

To clarify, I never said all of Mike's post was wrong, I just disagreed with a few points. The other was that bullfrogs in CA came from backyard ponds. Give me a break.. I may have different dates, but there is no doubt that bullfrogs did not come to California by escaping from Victorian ponds. They were brought as a food source.

http://natureali.org/bullfrog.htm
http://www.sacsplash.org/critters/bullfrog.htm

Animals and plants not being able to survive if they are moved a few hundred miles? Look at the zoos around the worls (San Antonio has a Sea World after all). Most plants that you buy at Home Depot were likely grown hundreds if not thousands of miles away.

Let me summarize: I agree that releasing an animal is unethical (that does not make it illegal), I also feel that bullfrogs get a bad rep. in this posting because people seem to think that they are not native to America at all, I also said that a bullfrog may not be the best choice. Although the first post is many years old, it came from Norfolk Virgina where the American Bullfrog is a native species. Tell me why it is a bad idea for that person to raise a native bullfrog in their backyard pond?

o

Tue, Jul 15, 08 at 13:20

Why would one introduce a bullfrog into an ecosystem where it already exists? If they are already there.... why introduce them?

"Tell me why it is a bad idea for that person to raise a native bullfrog in their backyard pond?"

That is a legitimate question. Perhaps because there is potential for escape into a nearby ecosystem, wetland or vernal pond where bullfrogs do not already impact the existing fauna? If bullfrogs already "exist" within that ecosystem they will certainly find the backyard pond in Norfolk... it's what they do. Males in a breeding population seek to expand their territory. Females follow. No need to introduce them if they already "exist". If they don't already "exist" you are introducing a species that is an opportunistic predator, lives 7 to 9 years and certainly has the potential to have a negative impact.

American bullfrogs being native to a geographical region does not mean they inhabit all ecological niches within that region. Introducing a new breeding population of bullfrogs does have a high potential for negative impact on other native fish and amphibian species within a stable ecological community. Many studies support this, I have seen this happen with my own eyes.

Google "Rana catesbeiana negative impact" and there is a tremendous amount of info. I totally agree with you that people should seek out information on these and other issues for themselves prior to introducing any species, native or otherwise, that may have the potential for negative impact on an ecosystem. Bullfrogs, in my experience, have that potential.

o

I just want to assure you that we are basically on the same page.

I guess my one point in response to your comment is that why would you stop at bullfrogs? Wouldn't it be potentially harmful to introduce any plant or animal? There are definitley plants that can cause damage (Hydrilla or Water Hyacinth for example - which some people may have in their bog/pond and there is no question were introduced into the wild by aquarium enthusiasts). I would even go as far to argue that invasive plants have caused more ecological and financial damage than animals.

I am sure you see where I am going here but if we expand your argument beyond the simple bullfrog, all of us should only have plants and animals that find their way into our property? In practice this would be a good idea, but it ain't ever going to happen is it? Invasive aquatic plants are a very serious issue and I have seen plants on the invasive species list talked about on this and other forums (don't give me the plants can't walk off your land argument).

You have your opinion and I have mine (they aren't too far off). My original comment was not defending anyones choice, it was in response to partially poor information.

o

Been without internet access for a while, but I feel the need to respond here:

Kwoods - thankyou for supporting my points here!

Hgtvdream - Lots to say here...

First off - NONE of my information was incorrect, false, rhetoric, or anything else that you would like to call it. Part of my role is to be aware of state laws regarding herps - look on the DNR or Fish and Game website for almost any state - RELEASING PETS INTO THE WILD IS ILLEGAL - THAT IS NOT FALSE INFORMATION. Call an officer with your state DNR - ask him if its legal to buy a species of frog from another state and release them into your garden ponds. Want to bet what he'll say?

Another law that is pretty common in most states - no animal may be released more than 50' (or some similar distance) from its point of capture unless given special permission through permits. This applies to ALL animals - bullfrogs are no exception.

I certainly don't appreciate saying that I was providing "false information as a way of making a point" as my information was not false. I don't think that you doing a google search on "bullfrogs" makes you an expert on them but apparently you feel differently. I would highly suggest doing some more research before discounting another person's information as "false" or "poor" as you obviously do not have the experience or are in the position to do so.

First off, since you said I was providing false information to support my point, you might want to look up information on the LACEY ACT - in short, here is what it says:

The Lacey Act provides that it is unlawful for any person to import, export, transport, sell, receive, acquire, or purchase any fish or wildlife or plant taken, possessed, transported, or sold in violation of any law, treaty, or regulation of the United States or in violation of any Indian tribal law whether in interstate or foreign commerce.

Here's another to look at...again, supporting my point that bullfrogs are an invasive species and should not be released...please take note that this is a government website - the USDA invasive species list:

http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/aquatics/bullfrog.shtml

As part of your research, I would recommend looking at some of these sites as well...

MINNESOTA (as discussed earlier)

http://www.areavoices.com/dougleier/?blog=7703

"Bullfrogs (adults or tadpoles) cannot be possessed, imported, transported or sold for any purpose other than as fishing bait without a DNR permit. To date, no such permits have been issued and the DNR has no intention of granting such permits in the future."

http://www.savagepacer.com/news/regional-news/dnr-say-no-buying-or-selling-bullfrogs-2124

- Again, pay attention to the first paragraph:
"Bullfrog populations in Minnesota are spreading rapidly due to the popularity of bullfrog tadpoles being used in backyard water gardens"

NEW YORK

http://www.wnyherp.org/reptile-laws/New-York-DEC-FAQ.php

Scroll down to the bottom: "Is it okay for me to release turtles into my pond?" You'll see that the answer is applicable to all wildlife..

CONNECTICUT:

http://www.northeastans.org/docs/ct-laws.pdf

Take note: "No one may import or introduce into Connecticut any live...reptile or amphibian...without a permit from the DEP commissioner...No one may liberate such an animal without a permit from the commissioner"

MARYLAND:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/captive.asp

-Scroll down to "Conditions for Release into Wild"-basically it says that animals not produced in Maryland may not be released into the wild, and those that were produced in the state must be released at point of capture no more than 30 days after being captured.

OHIO

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/portals/9/PDF/pub03.pdf

-Again, no animal not caught in Ohio may be released in Ohio , and no animal that has been in captivity for more than 30 days may be released, nor can they be released away from their point of capture

UTAH:

http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/code/r657/r657-053.htm#T6

(1) Pursuant to Section 23-13-14, a person may not release from captivity any amphibian or reptile without first obtaining authorization from the division.

Yeah, HGTV - I certainly was providing false information there just to prove my point, wasn't I? If you want, I can go ahead and post regulations and links for more states just to further show that...but I think you can see that I was speaking out of knowledge and experience...next time, do some research before criticizing someone so you don't make an a$$ out of yourself

o

Wed, Jul 16, 08 at 9:44

"I just want to assure you that we are basically on the same page."

I agree.

"Wouldn't it be potentially harmful to introduce any plant or animal?"

I don't think it's wise to make blanket statements or judgements regarding non-native flora and fauna. A case by case approach makes more sense in my mind. Researching what you're introducing makes you more mindful of ecosystems and how they work as a whole. I think people should do their homework and just be aware that some species may impact the ecosystem into which they are introduced in a negative way. Be mindful and respectful of what is already there before introducing something that may have a negative impact.

This forum is a place to share information and ideas. This is certainly a topic I find worthy of discussion. It's also an opportunity for us to hear what others think and maybe reevaluate what we think we know. I don't like seeing posters being rude to one another and I think it detracts from any point one might be trying to make regardless of it's validity. I'm uncomfortable chastising another poster but calling someone an a$$ is totally uncalled for.

o

Well, Mikeygraz, you've made your point, shown your character, et cetera. Have fun with your herps.

Josh

o

Kwood -
Yeah, you are right, if you see the time stamp it was awfully early and I had just read HGTV's snippy comments saying that I lied (without using those words) really pushes a button with me. She/He blatantly said I was providing false information to prove my point - I'd say that was equally uncalled for, especially considering that person was incorrect.

Josh -
Yes, I made my point. Thankyou. As for me showing my character, if you truly think you are capable or justified in judging someone's accurately by reading one or two posts on the internet, then I feel sorry for anyone whom you judge! I think most people would consider it highly offensive to have another person claim they are providing false information to prove a point, and I don't know anyone who would appreciate being criticized in an area that they specialize in by one who had no business doing so. As for your comment "have fun with your herps" which was meant to be nothing but degrading...perhaps you should be taking some of the advice about behavior you are criticizing others for having?

Again, if we can see past the squabbling - this is an issue based on ecology, conservation, and preservation. The more you learn and know, the more you realize you don't know - the same goes for trying to "mold" an ecosystem to your liking by adding whatever you feel like. You have no idea what the consequences could be, and its best you add your goldfish and koi and let the other species come on their own. Please realize that it was scientists - people who thought they had worked out EVERYTHING - who have screwed up so many ecosystems. Carp were brought here by people who wanted to eat them (as disgusting as that sounds), but it was fisheries biologists who went and started stocking them around the US. Look at all the problems that carp are causing...Ecosystems are an amazing thing to observe and to study, and I have personally seen many of them that have been horribly degraded by the addition of a single invasive species - bullfrogs are included on that list..as well as garlic mustard, honeysuckle, russian olive, and others.

Here is a quote that a professor of mine taught me, and it is very true - "invasive species are not always exotic" - this was made in reference to the Eastern Redcedar (Juniperus virginiana) spreading onto the prairies where it doesn't below as a result of fire suppression. Normally it is restricted to ravines and along water, being kept at bay by the annual fires the prairies once underwent. However with fire suppression, they spread out into the prairie and reshape the ecosystem into a virtual monoculture of redcedar that the prairie-adapted species are incapable of surviving in.

**One tree that is native, in the absence of its natural checks and balances, becomes invasive and compromises the entire ecosystem.**

Bullfrogs are a species with that same potential, as they have shown through their history. Just because they are native somewhere does not mean they belong there.

So, that said my original points all stand - moving species - even native ones - is illegal in most states, and in my opinion most of all - unethical. As for the ecological consequences of raising nonnatives or nonlocal animals in your pond that have a chance to escape into the surrounding area - they could be drastic. Not only the animals themselves, but the pathogens that they bring into your ecosystem could have a much more disastrous effect - look up "chytrid" and "amphibian" on google...''

So, while I will apologize for my original crassness, I will say again that I (like many others) have certain buttons - and being called a liar, providing false information to suit my own purposes is certainly one of them (I assume that could be a button for most of you, as well).

~Mike

o

I don't want to get banned from these Forums if someone happens to report this Thread, so I'll just say Sorry, Mike, and I'll move along.

Josh

o

That old theme of 'build it and they will come' didn't work for me. I build my pond 5 years ago and not a single frog has come. I'm from an area that has lakes and ponds near by. I am looking to purchase some pickerel, leopard tadpoles or just morphed frogs. Can anyone help?

o

Wed, Aug 13, 08 at 12:45

Do you have fish? Fish and frogs are pretty much incompatible.

o

You do NOT want frogs. Especially Bull Frogs. They will poop on your patio!

o

Mon, Dec 22, 08 at 15:40

"Hope this helps."

Helps what? Helps soil the patio?

o

We as humans have done the most damage in destroying amphibian habitat. We as humans have a responsibility to restore some habitat and re-introduce native species back. Restoring habitat may not be enough - like build it they will come. The obstacles now in place from areas rich in amphibians to the newly retored areas can be just too great. As scientist though we love to study stuff to death except for the quick destruction of habitat. Someone purchases property, gets a building permit and can destroy a wonderful habitat without consideration to the loss of life. There are risks to everything. The risk of doing nothing is great too!!!!!!! Marc

o

I'm looking for any small frog

o

Frog lovers, we live in Southern California near the Santa Ana River,City of Norco, Riverside County. There is an abundance of Baja California Tree Frogs, both green and brown in color. Look in channels, horse troughs and the best place for tadpoles and frogs are your neighborhood above ground pools. Good luck.

o

Hello,
Is it possible to buy tadpoles in the United Kingdom at this time of year?
Thank-you,
Stephen.

o

I wanna know how to catch frogs,who to find some and how to take care of them....I love frogs since i was little and i still do...I want one so bad...like the white-lipped tree frog i catch that night but i let him go because i didnt have the responability to take care of it. So him me out.

o

Fish and amphibians (frogs, salamanders) are not compatible. The fish will eat the eggs or the larvae. Many a population of frogs and salamanders have been lost when a breeding pond was stocked for fishing.

o

Some species die out, others survive, new species develop; some go naturally, some pushed out by development. That's life. let's leave it alone. Many human species died out, we can't control nature so we should stop messing with what we decide should or should not be alive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here