Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sarracenias not going dormant

Posted by alyss Z 10 CA Coast (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 14, 07 at 13:34

Hello,

Although the night time temps in my area have remained between 38 to 45 degrees, my sarracenia Judith Hindle and cobra lillies have still not gone dormant!!! Just a little browning of the outside pitchers, but new growth in the middle still going strong. The daytime temps have averaged in the 60's.....Is this combo too warm for dormancy?

If so, I have an extra refrigerator I can put them in....If that's a better option, What temperature should I set the refrig at, and how long should I leave them in there?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sarracenias not going dormant

I can't help but the guys at the link below can answer any quesion that you have! They are the greatest and love to help!

http://allexperts.com/user.cgi?m=4&expID=65271&catID=711

Here is a link that might be useful: Ask Sarracenia Northwest a Question about Carnivorous Plants

o
RE: sarracenias not going dormant

Dormancy for Sarracenia is a relative thing. Many hold their leaves all winter. It isn't something to worry about.

You may also notice your pitcher plants making curved flat leaves instead of pitchers. This is a typical behaivor in the winter.

In fact, many CPs including VFTs will still photosysthesize during the winter on days when it gets warm enough. That's why I also don't recommend cutting your plants back until late winter, and to reserve mulching with pine needles for only the coldest parts of winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here