Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aries_gw

Container Bog

Aries
20 years ago

I am interested in Bog Gardens, but space is limited - I really need a container Bog. Well, actually what I have planned is half bog half pond. Allow me to elaborate. I was thnking along the lines of getting a pot of tub, and filling it up 3 quarters with soil. I would then plant perhaps some irises, Wter forgetme not and parrots feather - anything really, topping it with gravel or pebbles, a few choice rocks and then filling it up the rest of the way with water. It is not really a pond as there is only about 3in of water depth, but not a bog as there is some standing water. More of a swamp really. Has anyone tried this before. It would also be a good place for birds to drink I'd wager as well. Matt

Comments (8)

• ryanferre
    20 years ago

From experience I would recommend the following! Instead of fuilling your pot or tub with 3/4 soil, why dont you use pots for each variety of plant and stand them on top of bricks. This will keep your water from getting excessive algal blooms and also your birds will still come to drink.

If you really want to see the bottom of your pot/tub(have a floor for the birds) then do this. Get some bricks and stack them so that you can place some wire mesh on top of it, about 1/4 inch aquare mesh is great. Then place the screen on top of the bricks and cover the mesh with gravel, then still place you plants into pots and set on top of the mesh network. I have done this to prevent little kids from falling into a tub garden. Then if you want a pump to circulate the water just hide it under the mesh and it creates an excellent filter.

Good Luck!

By the way your other idea is fine--but I would consider that a lot of mud, and your container would be a &$(@% to clean.

And yes--It would still be considered a bog garden.

If you were to use 3/4 of soil, I would highly recommend that you get some tadpoles. They will eat the algae for you! And they would be fun to watch.

I do not recommend polywogs(toads) because they develope really quickly and turn into a toad before you know it!

Ryan

• Aries
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thankyou for the reply - I might not do the tadpole thing as I am scared of frogs - but I think I will try and do the container bog you suggested. When should I set this up? Now?

Matt

• dendy
    19 years ago

If you put soil in the container add pea gravel (rinsed off) on top of the dirt 1/2 - 1 inch. It keeps the dirt settled. When ever you add water to the container let it trickle in so you dont disturb the soil. You can add plants directly in the gravel/dirt. Also, parrots feather is wonderful but are too invasive for a container. Try anacharis or something. Even pennywort is too much for a container bog. You could plant a beautiful taro in it with those other plants. *S* Also you should put in either mosquito fish or some solution to keep the mosquito larvae out.

What you basically have is a bog filter only it isnt filtering anything. Also there would be less (way less) soil and way more pea gravel.

I know this is old but oh well. People surf all the time. *S*

• wildlifehelper2000
    19 years ago

All my bog plants are in pots. My pitcher plants,flytrap, and calla are planted in peat moss,and little bit of sand.

• jade68
    19 years ago

Hi wildlifehelper2000,
    can you tell me what portion of peat moss to sand for bog planting in pots. I want to try planting my calla as bog plant this year. THanks a bunch.

• wildlifehelper2000
    19 years ago

I have my callas in small pot for now,it has drain holes. I only added about 1/2 in. of sand to bottom,rest filled with just peat moss. The pot has good drainage,so no need to mix sand and peat moss. Some people do though with bog plants,but mine are doing just great. Really don't need sand. I guess also it would depend on how many drain holes your pot has? Too many would just dry out the soil faster. One hole is great. With callas,just use peat moss. Calla grow best when soil is kept wet enough. But not soaking wet. Thats what the one drain hole is for. So if you have more then one,two is ok,but three or more just plug the extra up with something so the soil don't dry out too fast,or you would have to water them about every day.

• jade68
    19 years ago

Wildlifehelper2000, thanks for your instructions.

• wildlifehelper2000
    19 years ago

No problem. Let me know how your plants do?

I also think that you might have to bring you plants in when weather drops blow 35 F? I know lot of bog contain plants do. You put you pots in soil ground and cover with mulch. I know you have to do this with pitcher plants,sundews,and flytraps during freezing winters.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living