Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cyperus papyrus- the tall stuff- how tall in zone 5? wind tol.?

Posted by cheerpeople 5a (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 24, 07 at 20:27

I am in love with my dwarf papyrus and it is doing fine as a houseplant over the winter.

I am wondering how tall the cyperus papyrus would get here if outside for the summer and a houseplant otherwise.

Also we have a lot of wind here. Would this get bedraggled in wind storms?

thx for sharing your experience ;-)

Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cyperus papyrus- the tall stuff- how tall in zone 5? wind tol

I have a cyperus but it's inside right now, it grows like CRAZY! I never took it out of it's tiny pot and it grew like 4 feet for me! You can keep it in a pot, as long as you water it all the time they don't mind, but for it to grow up with good posture you need to keep it in full sun. During the summer mine only gets morning sun so it leans to the right. It's supposed to grow up to 5 feet, and I believe it!
Not sure about the wind, the only thing the wind would probably do is knock the pot over (if it's top heavy).

o

Hi Karen,
I grew this outside last summer. I planted it directly in the ground so it was well rooted for any windstorms that came through (I think if it was in a pot it might have blown over)..... none of the summer weather caused any problems, wind or hail or heavy rains.

I thought it was awesome. It easily got to 5 feet, I bet if I fertilized and watered more it would have gone higher. I tried to dig it up and overwinter it, but the looks I was getting from my wife made me think twice. If I grow it again next year I may try and overwinter an offshoot or see if I can get the tops of the stalks to root.
Good luck!

o

Since c. papyrus is native to Egypt, I'd be surprised if it overwintered in your zone...or mine for that matter.

o

Sorry Mersiepoo, I didn't want to give the impression that it's overwintering outside (since I already threw it on the compost pile in October!) When I said "if I grow it again next year", I meant that I would be buying a new start of it in the spring.

....now that spring is approaching I think I WILL have to get it again. It looked soo cool with the bananas and elephant ears (which I did manage to overwinter indoors)... even though these plants did not handle the wind and hail as well as the papyrus.
$8 in my limit. If I can find it for that much then it's a go!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here