Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bog garden filter system

Posted by amandrik Cornwall UK (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 12 at 8:36

Iam in the process of creating a bog garden to filter the water back into my pond.I have a large pile of broken cement taken from a granite wall that I have demolished. My question is will it be ok to use some of the cement spoil in the bottom of the filter system or will the cement be harmful to fish and plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bog garden filter system

Cheers, mate. The cement certainly won't harm any plants. Will it hurt fish in your pond? That I'm not so sure about. Fish seem to be very fragile about what's in their water. You'd probably want to do a small-scale experimental test to find out if it would work. Put one of your fish in a tub for a week. Throw a few small chunks of that cement into the tub with the fish. Give it a week. See if the fish is still swimming after a week. That could give you your answer.

o
RE: Bog garden filter system

I'm not going to pretend to know anything at all, but perhaps my newbie mistake could help answer your question. A couple of years ago, I made a "fish barrel" sunken into one of my flowerbeds. Not knowing any better, I used cinderblocks (which I think are concrete) as risers for my potted water lillies. Had a few Platy fish in there that multiplied like mad. Of course, winter came and the Platy fish weren't warm enough buried in the ground with no heater, so only one survived. She has been living just fine all this time with cinderblocks submerged in her barrel.

My barrel is 100% naturally filtered with plants and oxygenating plants and a pump to move the water and create a little surface disruption. Water is crystal clear and has been all this time. Had a little hair algae this year, so my levels are off somewhere but the water remains clear. I doubt my hair algae is from the cinderblocks because this is the first I have had of it in two years.

Cheers
M

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here