Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
benpinto

bog near a vegetable garden

benpinto
18 years ago

I have an odd elevation change in my yard that is sort of like a U shape, water comes in the top of the U and settles in the bottom of the U. The sides and bottom of the U form the trap for the water.

I have a vegetable garden near the U shape and the excess water causes issues for some of my plants. I plan on digging a 2' by 3' pit, and using some leftover pond liner to retain the water. The pit will probably be deeper that the 6"-8" recommended depth I've seen so that I can get the water away from the vegetable plant roots as much as possible.

Questions:

1)In the spring the bog will get full or almost full sun. Towards the end of the year, when the vegetables get taller, the bog will probably get partial sun, probably not full shade, but more in the direction of the later. Anybody have any plants suggestions for this type of situation?

2)If a carnivorous plant is an option, does anybody know if the insects attracted by such plants are the same types of insects that would act as pollinators for the vegetables?

thx

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz