Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when is the best time to find tadpoles?

Posted by kc512 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 20, 09 at 13:05

I searched a local lake and stream for tadpoles last spring and summer without any luck. I am trying to find out when is the best time to look for them. I know there must be some in the stream because I have seen several full grown frogs there.
I have read another blog about buying tadpoles and the impact it can have on the environment. My thought was to get some water from the stream along with the tadpoles so that I can watch them develop and then release them back into their original environment. Any advice on whether or not this would work? I am not looking to harm either the tadpoles or the environment.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when is the best time to find tadpoles?

Where do you live? That is a big factor in when they spawn. Here in Utah there lay there eggs in late march and early april. We see tadpoles later that month. Just depends on temps.

o

Thanks for responding. I'm in Northern New Jersey. It's been pretty cold here lately so I don't think I would see them yet. At the same time, I'm afraid that I will miss my opportunity.

o

If you start looking early you will see the egg masses first. You can move these, just approximate the same conditions where they're found. They will hatch in a few days.

o

When I lived in West Virginia I had to look in those little pools near a local stream. I have seem those pools so full you could hardly see the water. Early spring you will just have to keep looking and then you will know just when is a good time in your area, by keeping a little journal.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 7, 09 at 15:54

Woodfrogs are first here on LI. Then peepers and so on... We saw woodfrog eggmasses on a hike two weeks ago. Peepers are calling like mad now.

Try looking after heavy downpours... like today.

Swampwalker's Journal, David M. Carroll is a great book.

The Book of Swamp and Bog, John Eastman is another.

o

Anyone have any pics of tadpole egg masses?
I picked up a couple of pieces of plant life and they have egg masses...Not sure if thet are tadpole or snail

Thanks Dennis

o

Don't have any pictures but they will be in the water not hanging on to any plant life. The eggs are almost transparent jelly like almost round in shape with a dark spot in the middle. When they get a little larger you will see a tail form on one end and a little later legs. To me it kind of reminds me of a very large bowl of the insides of a concord grape without the purple color all close together.

o

Here in Tn, they have already hatched.Some have even grow big enough to crawl out of the ponds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here