Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I have to use it???

Posted by Kennith 10b CA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 24, 05 at 16:20

Drainage!!! I am going to use a kiddie pool that is 8 inches deep. My bog is going to be soley a carnivorous bog garden and will be above ground. I have been told that I need at least 2 inches of drainge. I was recommended that I use perlite. I know that the drainage portion is to trap excess water and keep roots from rotting but will all the nuetrient from the soil leach away and go to the bottom of the drainage(depriving my plants)? Carnivorous plants really don't have large root systems and do not reach deep into the soil, so thier roots may not not be able to rot at the bottom if i don't use drainage. Still I am not sure if I should skip the drainage part. What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I have to use it???

I'm a novice, but most carnivorous plants don't need rich soil (so nutrients leaching away aren't a problem). Also, from what I've read, some drainage would be good as it will help leach away salts so that they don't build up in the bog. Of course, too much drainage would be a problem too.

Good luck with it!

o

Well the peat moss does have some nutrients that aids the plants to grow better. Even with out drainage the salt would still go to the bottom, right? So maybe I dont need drainage.

o

I replied via e-mail, hope it was of some help. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here