Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhaynes_gw

I need to take control of a spring-fed marsh�

rhaynes
13 years ago

Hello, everyone! I know very little about gardening in general and even less about marsh plantings... However, I have a marsh area (spring) that is overrun by weeds from early Spring through early Fall. I would love to plant some attractive plants that would overtake those ugly weeds, blocking them out. Some of the weeds that I mentioned grow taller than I am. As the winter fades away, those weeds are beginning to grow again.

We really want to turn that ugly spot into something nice, possibly with flowering water plants and grasses. Willow trees are on the list, but what of the area covered by mud and shallow water? That's where I need some suggestions, please! At its deepest the water is about 8"; at its shallowest, mud. Any ideas are very appreciated! To give you an idea of the area in question, I posted a short clip in Google Docs; the resolution is low, but it will give you a good idea of the area in question. The link is below. Thank you!

Russell

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bx140tyElw0OMDJkNTc4YWMtN2UwNC00ODE4LWEyZDItNGIwYWRmZDg3ODMw&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

Comments (4)

• terrestrial_man
    13 years ago

The area in your clip looks like a natural area. Are you sure the plants are "weeds" or are native plants that are suited to the location. Adding or changing the natural content of the area could possibly cause additional problems that you may not want to have to deal with later.
    I would not plant any willows at all.
    Are you interested in attracting migratory birds to your wetland? How about animals?
    Why don't you try to find out what kinds of plants are already growing there, both the ones you like and the ones you do not like.
    Are there any kind of fish that live in the water. Do you have frogs or salamanders? What wild animals have you seen visiting the watering spot?

• rhaynes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Originally, the area in the clip was a creek, but a farmer dug the area out some years ago so that his cattle could walk down to the water. As a result, the low areas have been taken over by run-of-the-mill grasses and weeds. Lots of mud and very shallow water in the dug out area. The problem is compounded by an earth dam that the farmer had constructed down stream. The dam doesn't stop the water flow, but it does slow it considerably. (We don't own the property where the dam is, so we can't solve that problem.)

We would like to attract more birds. Unfortunately, the water is too shallow to attract ducks. Frogs are already plentiful, though! Any ideas for the low, muddy area as well as the water would be greatly appreciated!

• terrestrial_man
    13 years ago

Is building a dam permissible? I would tend to opt for some deeper water (3 to 4 feet) and damming it up to create that depth is a possibility if it is legal to do in these days. You could make a small one using bags of sand which are then covered by sod in the shape of an inverted V.
    Flooding over may help eliminate the undesirable weeds though you should probably mulch them into the soil where they occur in drier parts. Planting any kind of wetland plant that can successfully survive your conditions will mean you are planting plants that will spread and many are considered to be weeds by the USDA despite being native plants.
    If you want to create a scenic spot then look
    HERE
    But if you prefer natural areas then click
    HERE

• rhaynes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I found a very interesting PDF at the second link. (It was a free downloadable book about marsh building.) There were some very helpful suggestions in it. Thank you!

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA