Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kiddie Pool Bog Garden Progress Rpt

Posted by oldunclemarc z6 CT (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 28, 09 at 17:15

The kiddie pool garden I dug in October sat fallow though the long CT winter and I'm ready to start working on my shopping list. I finally figured out how to post pictures, so here are the pics I made in October when I started this project and made my first post on October 10 of '08.

View of the site.

Closer view Im facing South now.

Diggin the hole (that grass was niceI transplanted it).

A perfect fit (yupthats my CT dirt-axe in the foreground).

Voila. Filled with peat/sand mixture, and ready for a wet, rainy, snowy, icy, Westport winter. See you in Spring 09!

These pics were taken at roughly 4:30pm. That site gets sun all day, but because of the high water table and our proximity to wetland, it stays wet all summer. If you played bocce out there now (March), youd lose your palino.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kiddie Pool Bog Garden Progress Rpt

Gee, this is interesting. About 4 years ago I built three small, shallow bogs with tough plastic sheets. I dug trenches about 2 feet deep. I also punched holes about 12 inches from the bottom. I then filled them with a peat and soil mixture. Now this worked well for about two years but then invasive plants started growing. I'm sure the sheets have been punctured and the water no longer collects. Your photos have spurred me onto redig the holes(deeper) and not punch holes in the sheeting. When working the bogs provided most interesting plants. Also this time I shall add sand.R squared

o
RE: Kiddie Pool Bog Garden Progress Rpt

Thank you R2. I drilled holes at about 6 in. intervals and about 3 or 4 inches from the top lip. I'm getting really jacked to start populating it. My only fear at this point is the deer. They are just savage eaters in this part of the world. Even stuff everyone says they avoid like rhodo's, azelea, hosta....gone! If they munch my bog plants I'm just going to be crushed.
Think I should transplant some skunk cabbage or ferns to the perimeter area to nice it up?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here