Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
(Water) Canna? (Water) Iris?

Posted by davemichigan z 5/6 (SE Michigan) (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 17, 09 at 19:25

I read somewhere that cannas and iris can be grown as bog plants, but I don't know if there such a thing as water canna or water iris (like water lettuce is clearly not lettuce), or are regular canna and Dutch Iris that I can buy from Home Depot can be planted as bog plants?

TIA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: (Water) Canna? (Water) Iris?

Regular Iris will not grow in wet conitions. There are several kind of water Iris, yes. They like wet feet. Cannas as so like wet feet and yes there are cannas that are water cannas.

o

Louisiana iris can handle 4" of water or so. I've grown those by a pond. Iris (blue or yellow flag) pseudocorus will work but are considered invasive in some areas, so check on that first.

Calla lilies do well in my waterfall and stream. I've heard some cannas will work in summer (lift in winter), but haven't yet tried them in my water feature.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: my garden blog

o

• Posted by bugsb 9CA Bakersfield (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 5, 09 at 13:27

Check my web site that shows my pond. I planted Cannas and they did fine in the summer but did not like the winter. You need to lift them in the winter. My Cannas were not listed as water type just the normal variety. I have found that plants will surprise you and grow well in a pond unless you have fish. Fish (large ones) and plants do not mix. The fish like to root them up and even if you weight the soil down with rocks they chew off the foilage. It is a constant battle for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mann Made Ponds (not a commercial name just a catchy one my grandson came up with)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here