Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
evergreens or privary plantings and shrubs with color

Posted by dpoole z6 MA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 4, 06 at 13:08

I have a brook at the base of my backyard and the bottom part of my yard is pretty wet. In the area, there is a lot of brush, wild roses, etc. and willows hanging over from neighbors property. I'm looking for two things:

1. pretty shrubs that will add color or interest of some sort, especially in the winter (the birds love the area, so berries that attract the birds are a plus).

2. Evergreens to plant in the brush (not on the parameter) to block the winter view that I have of homes behind me.

I'm already planning to put a couple of stands of river birch in my yard in front of the brush.

Anything that I plant in the brush area has to like having its feet wet.

Thanks,
Dottie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: evergreens or privary plantings and shrubs with color

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 13, 06 at 10:09

Spicebush and seviceberry.

o

service berry (check the type some cultivars like dry), some viburnums (some of which are evergreen), swamp mallow (hardy swamp hibiscus), white cedar, tamarack, some cercis (redbud), swamp holly, dogwood

you may want to do a little research into what is native for your area

o

You might want to look into Salix integra 'Hakura nishiki', aka Dappled Willow. If left to its own devices, it will grow quickly to 10' tall, with an equal spread. It's variegated foliage is very pretty, and the new growth is pale pink. The stems are coral in winter. It's pretty much a four season interest shrub and it loves wet feet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dappled Willow on the Monrovia Site

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here