Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
casey1z7act

Plants for Standing Water Bogs

casey1gw
20 years ago

I have a bog that puddles especially in wet weather. So far primulas and darmera peltata have died. The iris has not spread very well. Any suggestions?

Hedy

Comments (6)

• lycopus
    20 years ago

What iris have you tried? Iris versicolor should do very well in that type of situation. Pickerel weed and arrowhead should fare well too. Obedient plant, marsh marigold, sweet flag, new york aster, among others.

• dendy
    20 years ago

you need a good plant for standing water then. It sounds like it is standing in this water for a lenghty period of time.

Try looking here for a suitable plant as you will want something that can be in wet/drenched locations that are hardy and for your zone.

• jroot
    20 years ago

Dendy, it is unfortunate that the link provided does not mention zones. For those of us in the north, it is a seriouis problem. Do you know of a source like this that does mention zones? The pictures, however, are most helpful. Thanks.

• dendy
    20 years ago

Try this one - it is for zones 7 and lower:

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/marginal.htm

Standing water... sounds like you need to figure out the depth of your plant's need. http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/wgmelton.html

Please keep in mind there is a difference between the plant zones and the planting -depth- zones for aquatic plants.

I would even be as bold to say try placing pea gravel in this area and give it some height. Then you can plant a variety of other plants as well as have a boggish filter garden. They are very pretty. Adding pea gravel may however push the water to other areas then bog like trenches come to mind.... Use your imagination... This is the fun part of water gardening *S*

• casey1gw
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thank you for these great sites. I've been growing many of the plants suitable for moist soil but they don't like the standing water.

Hedy

• firevicar
    19 years ago

I have a friend in Wisconsin, similar climate to NY, who lives near a cedar swamp. It's filled with jack-in-the-pulpits, believe it or not. They seem not to mind the seasonal flood/freeze/dryout cycle. Also the skunk cabbage is a good plant. There are several species of native and exotic jewelweeds (Imapatiens species) (pink, white, yellow, orange-spotted) which are annuals but grow fast, give a good flower show, and attract hummingbirds; all reseed themselves.

In northern Wisconsin I've also seen wild yellow callas, arrowheads, pickerel reeds, and various reeds and cattails (there are several species to choose from) that grow in standing-to-boggy places.

I'd say your best bet is to look at local wild wetlands, and get plants for your wet spot that are the same.

Or plug a weeping willow stick into that wet spot to grow. It's root system will suck every last drop out of that wet spot.

Or get a back hoe and dig yourself a natural pond.

Your problem is not the wetland per se. It's the fact that your frost goes down so deep that it kills many tubers and roots. Thus you need to stick with local fully winter-hardy plants. But you have many choices for your zone.

All the best,

FireVicar
    Woodinville, WA

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor