Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjtexgirl

'dragon' pond?

pjtexgirl
14 years ago

I'm in the process of installing a filterless pond with a bottom drain for easy maintenance. I have no desire for fish. I am very interested in amphibians and insects!

I am most interested in a dragonfly pond AKA 'dragon pond' here in the DFW area.

Any suggestions for attracting dragonflies or damselflies is welcome!

The pond/bog(?) will have a small solar fountain for a bit of circulation,a epdm liner,bottom drain for excessive build up, and a as many potted plants as I can get away with. It will also be surrounded by an organic wildscape. It's 16x16x2 and pretty much full sun. PJ

thanks, PJ

Comments (7)

• cannahavana
    14 years ago

Build it and they will come.

{{gwi:429143}}

• hardin
    14 years ago

Gorgeous picture.

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

whhhooo hooo! NICE. PJ

• huachuma
    14 years ago

Like cannahavana said...

If possible put in some pots of horsetail, mini cattails or other vertical plants; the dragons luv em!

I set my plants on overturned milk crates so that the tops of the pots are just a couple inches below the surface, and they won't spread into the surrounding landscape. They can be invasive.

If you are putting in aquatics like water lilies, etc. make sure that you don't accidently introduce mosquito fish like I did.

I, like you, wanted to keep my pond natural for the ambhibians, dragonflies, water striders and diving beetles, but a water lily that I purchased from an aquatic nursery must have had a pregnant female mosquito fish hiding in it.

We've learned to live with it, but the frog eggs and little tadpoles can't survive the predation of the fish. We've installed a small 30 gallon pond right next to the main pond and the frogs have learned to breed there instead. It's a lot easier to exclude the fish from this smaller container and we have baby tree frogs again!

• Jermes
    14 years ago

I had never seen a dragonfly within a 2 mile radius of my home. Three weeks after we started the waterfall in our new pond, one large blue one appeared. Now we have probably 8 to 10 blues and a beautiful Flame Skimmer. Like the man said...
    Jerrie

• taralynna
    14 years ago

I am glad to have read all of the posts here. I also got a mosquito fish with a pond plant. I am praying its not pregnant. I found somewhere online that it teaches how to build a trap for them. On the advise of my pond store I'm waiting to verify that it isnt a koi fry before I trap it.

My pond has about 3 flame skimmers and about 5 electric blue little like skinny dragonflies - stunning. They fly low over the pond and are such a joy to watch. I also have birds and bees a frogs. Love it !

• conjuay
    14 years ago

Off topic- but forgive me... I used to do some work at Kennedy Space center, which is located in the swamps of east Central Florida. On one occasion, I walked out to the parking lot of this one building. The parking lot held about two hundred cars, and each and every car antenna had a dragon fly perched on top of it! It was like a scene from a sci-fi movie, but cool... They do love high perches.

Sponsored