Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
manlem01_gw

Where is the Rain Garden Forum?

manlem01
18 years ago

I don't know about other parts of the world, but here in MN, rain gardens are everywhere. Why no rain garden forum? The Bog Forum and native forums just don't measure up. What gives?

Comments (8)

• yarthkin
    18 years ago

I completely agree, and we probably need a Green Roof forum as well.

Anyone know the proceedure for starting/suggesting a new forum?

Until then, I guess this forum is probably the best spot. Rain Gardens aren't exactly bogs, but they are certainly more like bogs than ponds, and there are no aasumptions here that we are dealing with native plants. Could you explain what a Rain garden is to people who might not be familiar with it?

• nativenut
    18 years ago

I Second the motion! How do we get it started? Rain gardens are places that are shallow depressions that hold excess rain water from roofs and paved surfaces. Instead of allowing it to run down the street or into the storm drains, it perks into the soil, recharging the ground water. The garden part is the planting in this low spot...plants, preferably native, that tolerate and thrive in the alternating wet, soggy and dry conditions. They attract frogs, butterflies and curious neighbors. Maybe if we keep posting, we will attract some attention and get a forum!!!! NN

• manlem01
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rain gardens as described by raingardens.org: "[A rain garden] is a bowl-shaped garden, designed to absorb stormwater run-off from impervious surfaces such as roofs and parking lots."

These are great looking gardens that help prevent water pollution and flash flooding. In Minneapolis, there are grants available for planting rain gardens. You can also get reduced storm water fees for managing your own stormwater and keeping it out of the drains. There are so many advantages to rain gardens beyond these. It would be wonderful to have a place to discuss here.

See the link for more information. Or try google.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rain Garden Info

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    18 years ago

Someone can suggest it at the Suggestion Forum...

Sue...just a lurker

Here is a link that might be useful: Suggestion Forum

• manlem01
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Sue. I made a recommendation at the suggestion forum. But so far no word... I guess we wait.

• suebeehsieh
    7 years ago

I agree. I have asked before - last year, and the year before! I teach a rain garden class, and would love to have the students share their projects here.

• suebeehsieh
    7 years ago

I am thinking of just start talking about rain gardens in the Great Lakes Gardening forum . . .

• Susan Bryan
    7 years ago

Ok, I am going to invite my Master Rain Gardener class to post in the Great Lakes Gardening forum here. Please come and help out newbie rain gardeners! I'd love your support and help from experienced gardeners. Sometimes the questions are general gardening, like how to remove sod. Your comments are welcome!

Sponsored