Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildlifehelper2000

Wetland Milkweeds

wildlifehelper2000
18 years ago

For now,I only have both sub-species of Swamp Milkweed(ssp. incarnata and ssp. pulchra). But having a hard time finding Red Milkweed(Asclepias rubra)and Smooth Orange Milkweed(Asclepias lanceolata). Well,one day I will have these in my garden.

Any one grow Swamp Milkweed in their bog garden? Are their other aquatic milkweeds besides the ones I listed about?

Comments (13)

• sal_mando
    18 years ago

I had A. incarnata in my perennial garden, and it spread all over the place. I would imagine that in a wet area it would go absolutely nuts if the seeds were allowed to scatter.
    Bob

• wildlifehelper2000
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I check all my plants just about every day incase something is wrong. If they have seed pods,I check to see if they ripen or cracked open. If pods were open or ripe,I cut them off and save seeds. That way seeds do blow all over the garden and other yards.

If you had lots of incarnata,then you could of just cut off the seed pods to prevent milkweed take over. Altease they don't spread by runners(roots).

• kate_rose
    18 years ago

I am putting in a wildlife habitat & would like to put in some wetland milkweeds. I have been doing a bunch of reading & haven't heard of any others besides the ones listed. I can't remember if the vine milkweed I read about likes wetland habitats but I know its not native.

Any chance either of you has extra seeds? I am on a budget but could easily send a self addressed stamped envelope. I am currently removing a bunch of sedge from one of my gardens so I will have room for more variety.

• wildlifehelper2000
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I don't have any ssp. pulchra seeds,but might still have ssp. incarnata? None of the plants produced seed pods last summer,so I didn't get any seeds. But do have plenty of rosemaollow Crimsoneye and Halberdleaf.

• sal_mando
    18 years ago

Sorry, I don't have any seeds since we moved out of the house where they were growing and I didn't bring any with me.
    Bob

• kate_rose
    18 years ago

Thanks for the quick response you two. Don't worry about the seeds I can get them later (I found a good source). I really need to be focusing on my foundation shrub plantings since I just moved in to an essentially unlandscaped yard (at least as far as critters are concerned). I just thought if you had an overflow I could certainly use some. I found a cool website that has all different kinds of milkweeds that might be helpful it is

www.milkweedfarm.com/catalog.asp

Unfortunately I don't have spare seeds yet since I am just getting started but hopefully I will soon.

• wildlifehelper2000
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No problem Kate! If I had plenty of Swamp milkweed seeds,I would be happy to send you some. Its just some summers I get seed pods,and sometimes none. And last year was the summer I got none. But this happens to me with a lot of my native plants.

MilkweedFarm is a good site to order seeds,and know he has plenty of Swamp Milkweed seeds. But sometimes the seeds may not be freash? But he is the main site that has all types of milkweeds. And sure all his Swamp Milkweed seeds are good? I didn't have trouble with the sub-species pulchra,which is a hard milkweed to find. And Swamp Milkweed seeds are very easy to germinate. They can be planted even in fall or summer,and germinate in like few weeks? They might can be sowed in water too,but not sure because I never did it. I mainly sow mallow spp seeds in water for fast germination.

• kate_rose
    18 years ago

Thanks wildlifehelper. Just out of curiousity - What mallow are you sowing in the water?? I know things like turks cap like wet soil but all the mallows near me are desert adapted wildflowers like scarlet globe mallow & winecup poppy mallow.

• wildlifehelper2000
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The mallows I grow are Scarlet Roasemallow(Hibiscus coccineus),Halberdleaf Rosemallow(Hibiscus laevis ssp. laevis),Crimsoneye Rosemallow(Hibiscus mosecheutos ssp. mosecheutos),and Virginia Marsh Mallow(Kosteletzkya virginica).

• kate_rose
    18 years ago

I guess I have never heard of Hibiscus as rosemallows. Or maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention & just remembered one of the names. I will have to remember that they like moist soil so much.

While I have been looking at milkweeds I did find one other that is supposed to like water. The common name was aquatic milkweed & the picture showed it growing in an emergent situation. The species is A. perrennis.

I have a pond with bog gardens attached so I will be looking for seed. If I find a source I will let you know.

• wildlifehelper2000
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hibiscus is rosemallows,but there are other natives with mallow in their common name. Like Saltmarsh mallow,and Poppy mallow. And there are some species that might be called mallow in some states,but may not look like a mallow plant?

There are also different var. of Swamp milkweeds,but the most common in the wild are the ones I grow.

• kate_rose
    18 years ago

I have seen a lot of varieties in my reading but I too am looking for the wild ones. They seem to be tougher & better habitat anyway.

• Frog_hollow_lady
    18 years ago

hello..

I have Asclepias Viridis seeds...lets trade

Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz