Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to bog...Does bog gardens attract mosquitos?

Posted by freezemind z6MI (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 3, 05 at 20:28

Hello, I LOVE Garden Web!!! I have learned SOOO Much in this site!! I thank everyone.
I want to start a container bog garden to test my ability this year, but I am very concerned of it being a breeding ground for mosquitos!! Has anyone had any problems with mosquitos when starting a bog garden?
Is there any pest problems I should be aware of when begining a bog garden?

Thankyou for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to bog...Does bog gardens attract mosquitos?

I'm not totally sure of this, but I don't think mosquitoes will be able to breed unless there is a puddle of standing water (or a layer of stagnant water). BUT, I try not to let the surface remain too wet, just in case.

I've wondered if pitchers would be possible breeding grounds, but they fill up so fast with caught insects, I haven't worried too much.

I have a carnivorous plant bog and haven't had any real pests so far. A very few slugs, easily caught. Spiders and ants (those surprised me) seem to enjoy the bog too, despite the wetness (and despite being eaten in the ants case). But they are hardly pests.

What kind of bog (types of plants) are you planning on?
Have fun with it!

o

Hi slubberdegulion.
Thanks we hope to plant love and enjoy a carnivorous plant bog also. My hubby is the pond/bog gardener in the family, but I'm learning more and more about it all form him and this site. I figured after the bog garden is established the plants will take care of any pest..but I was worried about the mosquitos.

Thankyou for taking the time to answer our question.

o

Mozzies can only breed in standing water. If you intend visible standing water, go to home depot and buy 'mosquito dunks'. Break off pieces and use in the standing water. It works.

o

Or get some mosquito fish. They work too.

o

Carnivorous plants don't require standing surface water, so you won't have a place where mosquitos can breed.

o

I have a standing water bog.
I use the mosquito dunk stuff but I buy it
in a granular form so it is easy to broadcast
into every nook and cranny.

kathy :-)
help the band move out of the basement!
go here
http://www.battleofthebands.com/battlebak/bb9/bands/theloshas/

o

We have a small pond with a stream at one end, water is always moving, we have mosquito fish and NO mosquitos!

PS county can give you mosquito fish

o
RE: New to bog...Does bog garden attract mosquitos?

I forgot to say, I have 2 other bog areas, with NO mosquitos. You don't need standing water in a bog.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here