Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
any more grocery store ideas ???

Posted by cactus_jeff z6 PA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 12, 03 at 20:40

I have heard of buying fresh pineapple, cutting the top off and growing it. Ihave never had any luck with it though. I did buy prickley pear fruit from Giant, and grew some cacti. I heard someone talking about buying Passion Fruit and then growing the seed. I have never seen the fruit for sale though. I also wonder if it would be hardy or not.

PLEASE ADD TO THESE LIST IF YOU KNOW OF OTHER CHEAP PLANTS LIKE THIS OR CHEAP PROPAGATION

Thanks Jeff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: any more grocery store ideas ???

ADD WILD RICE TO THE LIST

I just read on one of the other forums it can be grown from the wild rice you buy at the grocery store.

IS IT HARDY TO ZONE6??? HELP???

o
RE: any more grocery store ideas ????

TARRO (ELEPHANT EAR)

It can be grown from the bulbs in the grocery section, and all parts of this plant are supposidly OK to eat if: (FULLY COOKED) please check into this more, before eating them. I dont want to be responsible for someones double vision or fainting spells LOL! I did find this on another forum (PONDS MAYBE?)

o

Avocado and papaya. Mango. Water chestnuts. Mints.

o

A friend of mine gave me some passion flower seeds to try. They were buggers to get germinating - I finally put them outside in with other plants, so I would be sure to water on a regular basis. A couple of months later they did come up. I'm not sure how hardy they are, I bring mine in as a houseplant every year, but we are zone 4. I've seen some listed as hardy to zone 6. I guess I'd recommend either planting 2 pots, or splitting a plant (cuttings??) and winter one in the house, see how the other one does.

You can of course use sweet potatoes & avacados. I've even heard that if you are lucky enough to find lemon grass with a few roots that you can get that started. I've never seen it - i planted seed.

o

There is a really cool book by the name of The After Dinner Gardner or something like that. Lots of ideas.

o

• Posted by Jroot 5B Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 17, 03 at 10:06

I echo what Cactus_Jeff said about Taro. I bought 2 taro tubers last year with a lot of eyes on them. Planted them in a moist semi-shade garden and was most impressed with the massive tropical plant leaves waving in the breeze like giant elephant ears. They must be lifted in the fall here in zone 5, but in the south they may just make it. Check out the other forums.

o

Thanks Everybody

I gotta get that book. Soounds interesting. I love water chestnuts. I have never seen them for sale though, only in the Stir Fry.

o

• Posted by HoovB z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 8, 03 at 20:20

Cactus_jeff, here's how to grow a pineapple:

Here is a link that might be useful: pineapple growing at home

o

Watercress can be grown from the cut bunches in the fresh herb section of the grocery store. It roots quickly and is great in the pond!

o

While not necessarily in regard to ponding, I always grow my dill from the spice rack. Even at $3.95 per bottle at the grocer, it's still cheaper than a packet of namebrand seeds, and produces as well.

I like to use dried whole peas. Many stores carry both split peas and whole dried peas. I have had my best pea crops using the dried whole peas. Again, cheaper than packets of pea seeds.

I've also used pinto beans, and pea beans..others work too.

My sunflowers in my yard come from a few sunflowers in the cockatiel food. There are a few different varieties usually included.

I've also grown grapefruit, lemon and orange trees as house plants. Eating the fruit of these, if and when they do fruit, has not been a good experience, but they make beautiful house plants! They like it out doors in the summer too.

Any whole spice seed will grow. Fennel, poppy, dill, celery...

I was thrilled to see the instructions for the pineapple and for date palms. I'd been saving a pineapple top in the fridge in the hopes that I would find the instructions for planting it. So, thanks for that link!

GA

o

• Posted by Jroot 5B Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Tue, May 20, 03 at 16:49

I just picked up my Taro today in Toront. Paid a little over $30 for 6 tubers @ $ 2.99 / pound. Oh, well, I do like the look of them. In a few minutes, I'll pot them up to give them a head start before putting them out in my garden. There is a possibility of frost later this week. Will summer ever come?

o

I've potted up little taro roots that were only $0.99/lb and they're turning out to be attractive plants (so far I have them in the house but will put some outside).

Also tried a couple of small tubers called arrowhead that came from an Asian grocery store. I'm liking the look of these too.... read somewhere that they're a common houseplant, can't remember the name. Went back to get more, but last time they had much bigger tubers; bought some to try anyway, for outdoors - guessing they would be good for outdoors only for the summer here.

In the same store, bought a couple lily bulbs (forget the price - ?~$3-4 for the 2) in plastic shrink wrap, refrigerated - they're meant to be eaten. Haven't gotten around to planting them yet.

Today I saw lotus seeds - again meant to be eaten - in similar packaging in the grocery section of a store that has a lot of Asian food items.... forget the price but I don't have a pond which is where I think they need to be grown (??) so I didn't get them to try.

Fun!

o
RE: any more grocery store ideas ??? - lemon grass

Oh yes, someone told me that you could root lemon grass by just sticking the stalks (even if no root is apparent) in a glass of water. I tried that, and it made roots, but after many weeks..... I then forgot about it and it rotted. Bought some today to try again. Interesting that the first time I tried it, they had been in my fridge for quite a while and I thought they were pretty dry and dead-looking, but they made roots anyway. This time I'll pay more attention and plant them in soil when the roots come!

o

The After Dinner Gardener is a wonderful book. I got my copy back in the 70s.
I am presently trying my hand at rooting a chunk of ginger. I have avocado & mango started.

o

Jeruselum Artichokes. Much cheaper in the grocery store and they grow just as prolifically.

o

I have grown lemongrass by rooting it in water then planting it in soil. It grew pretty vigorously. I was even able to harvest some of it for use. The only problem is that in winter the frost killed them. They were really easy to do. May try again this year in a pot.

o

• Posted by soren Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 9, 03 at 14:19

You know I didn't think I had a lot of store bought plants growing but I have a few mangos growing, three pineapple tops in pots, I saw slightly larger pineapple plants with baby pineapples on them at OSH they were selling for 30 bucks! Taro roots have just started poking through. Apple seeds, peach pits and an avocado all in pots. I planted these with the intention of trying to graft later. Our produce market sells Nopal cactus I bought one and it rooted in cactus mix so this last week I bought three more.

o

Over the weekend I got a "sample" of an unusual fruit at the produce dept of a grocery store. It was round, rough, and redish brown. Between the size of 50 cent and Silver dollar. The skin is tough like avacado but much more textured. I guess if I compared the taste it would be closest to a Kiwi. I has a single dark colored oval seed. Gave it to DH to plant and he wants to know what to expect. Went on web and looked up exotic fruit, single seed fruit and did not see anything that even resembled this. I would go back and ask at the store but I had stopped on my way home and was not in my area. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Linda

o

could it be a lychee, or longan?

o

its lychee....did it have a slight perfumy taste, look like a grape on the inside? You had to peel it like a hard-boiled egg? I am trying to germinate them now....

Sam

o

You could also try coconuts if you are really patient. They take between 6 months and a year to show a leaf.

o

Taro root is often called "Eddoes" in the grocery store. I bought one with a bit of a sprout and it's growing in a pot.

o

How do you start a coconut? I'm thinking that it would grow well here in Florida.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

o

tomatoes, ginger (my one little piece of ginger has become a ginger patch), persimmon, canteloupe, watermelon, sweet potatoes (beautiful vine if grown in water),Irish potatoes in soil, (look for ones that have sprouts since most are treated not to sprout), all peppers, hot, bell, etc, onions, ANYTHING that contains a seed can be grown,it just might not reach it full potential of 50 feet tall like a Mango tree :) but will certainly be fun to try. You can even root fresh roses that you buy in the grocery store or from a florist. My grandfather told me NEVER to throw away a seed...it was almost a sin to him. He said plant the seeds or just toss them onto fertile ground, and if you don't use the fruit the seeds produce then the wild animals will.

o

celery root. You can find it in most produce sections. It likes moist soil. You just stick the root section in the ground and it grows into a massive perennial. Don't cut it just let it grow. Any bird seed mix will produce all kinds of cool plants and flowers but the hemp(marijuana) seeds in bird food are inert...they won't sprout.

o

We have several passionfruit vines growing right now, and a cherimoya (sp?) from the grocery store. My husband just planted them in regular potting soil and off they went ( it was spring and he put them inside our cold frame to stay warm)

A friend has a date palm "accidentally" started from an organic date she ate. I'll have to try that.

We've also had avacado trees (won't bear fruit up here in the north) and pineapple but it won't bear here either, altho I've been told you can get them to fruit by placing a ripe apple in a plastic bag with the plant. The ethylene gas from the apple stimulates the pineapple to flower.....
I lose interest in the pineapple plants too easily since it won't flower easily here. A regular bromeliad will flower tho, easily.

CheersMaryanne in Massachusetts

o

EEEP!
Just a little reminder that tossing seeds around willy nilly can be bad in some cases! In the south, some of the fruits you listed can be invasive. Of all the problems facing native areas, invasive species are the worst.

Jessica

o

You are most likely to get good seeds (or any seeds at all) in organic oranges and grapefruit. Most supermarkets here have a little organic section. Once I got lucky and had grapefruit with the seeds already sprouting in the fruit. Got a beautiful little plant. Organic potatos are not treated with sprout suppressant like most potatos in the market. They green up and sprout all over given some light. I also had organic carrots sprout masses of fuzzy rootlets in the refrigerator drawer.

o

Just more info on sweet potato i got the instruction from a state experimental garden zone 6 after growing a long vine in water cut 1-2 ft lengths stip several inches of leaves submerge the stripped section in dirt or water to root. Should be able to make several plants out of a long vine and root them for setting out in summer needs long season and hot weather. Many asian markets have shallots large packs of fennel fenugreek dry peas mustard seed mung bean inexpensive. Farm supply for rye wheat alfalfa in my parts maybe others in your area corn and soybean are usually hybrid. health food stores for wheat flax sesame spelt quinona and apple vinegar with the mother you can brew vinegar from 1/2 wine 1/2water or apple juice.

o

Some I didn't see mentioned above:

horseradish, jicama, starfruit, dates, melons? apples?

although don't expect a tree that will bear fruit anytime soon :)

Last year I gave a presentation called "grocery store gardening" and almost all of the reseach came from threads on gardenweb (tons of data here) and by walking through the produce dept at the grocery store.

Papaya work really well. I think they'd make a great kid's science project because they have lots of pea-sized easy to plant seeds and grow like mad in the summer.

-Celestial

o

garlic?

o

The best taro to get from the grocery store is Malanga. Its available in stores usually that have a decent Latino population closeby. It is actually the Xanthosoma saggitifolia, and gets huge. You may get green stem or black stem varieties.

You can also grow ginger (Zingiber officinale) from the grocery store tubers.

o

I've been trying to find this book called The After Dinner Gardener - is it known by any other titles? Does anyone know the author?

o

Hi All;

"The After Dinner Gardening Book"
by Richard W. Langer..
Collier Books/Division of Macmillian Publishing Company
copyright 1969

This is a keeper!

JoyW

o

sweet potatos are the best for making a viney type plant- hides the edges of pond liners very well, so do regular potatoes (they make a sturdy plant with purple flowers). also carrot tops- they are a pretty, lacy plant. My kids have had alot of fun growing these kinds of things when they were younger- and I still do !!

o

Can anyone tell me how I should plant my sprouting ginger? Do I bury it? Lay it on top of the soil?

o

Can't answer the ginger question, but granadilla or golden passion fruit (Passiflora ligularis) seems to do very well on my window sill. Just started some Purple passion fruit, and they seem to be doing well too.
However, I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get the mangos I've started to survive past the first set of leaves.. They just seem to stall there, and eventually they existing leaves turn brown and die.

o

how do you plant a sweet potato???
Do you cut it, does it like the water? who would i go about growing one?

o

i just stick a few toothpicks in mine about halfway up the potato and plunk it in a jar of water until it roots and leaves sprout

o

When I plant ginger here is what I do.
When you buy ginger from the store you will have to keep it in a dark place but with some heat and it will take about 2 weeks to see a bud come out.After the ginger has sprouted a little bud I planted the ginger in a 2 or 3 gallon pot with a mixcture of a good poting soil, some compost, and some sand to hold some water.There needs to be at laest 1 or 2 inches of ginger below the bud.I planted my ginger about 4 or 5 inches below the soil.The ginger plant don't need to be watered very much at all.It will take awile for the plant to come up.It will take 5 to 6 mouths till it puts out another piece of ginger.The ginger plant needs some light put don't offer do it.The plant will grow to about 5 feet tall.I hop you will have better luck then I had because mine lived about 4 mouths.(Not long enought to make new ginger.)

o

I buried a tumeric root awhile back and it is starting to bud now in three places.

I have immaturely kept digging it up to chart progress.

But now I have results, howsoever unusually slow.

The root looks fairly similar to ginger and I got it at my local heath food store.

o

And I just got a burdock root to try.

o

Dose anybody know if you can grow cured vanilla beans to grow a vanilla bean plant?

o

iu dont know if this has been said before because i didnt have time to read the responses, but you can pick up water chestnuts, tarros and arrowhead from chinese grocery stored and grow them

o

"The After Dinner Gardener" Is out of print but a week or so age I was looking for ideas for plants to grow and came across this book used on a lot of websites, Try a google search.

o

Bookfinder has 35 or more from $1 (plus shipping & handling) to $31.70 in paper or hardbound -- apparently the title is The After-Dinner Gardening Book (http://www.bookfinder.com, enter Richard Langer in the author slot).

D&K

o

i have managed to get citrus to grow: lemon, grapefruit, orange, tangerine only seedlings so far. Also Grape seeds that i chilled in the fridge for two months... so far so good

o

Ginger, garlic.
You can grow the tops of carrots and parsnips, but you will just get a plant not another carrot (if you know what I mean.)
I know someone who grew a chinese pear and said it was a nice plant.
Peanuts.
All the citrus pips.
Nuts: hazel etc. Never tried brazil nuts.

o

What kind of nuts can I buy at the store that will grow?

o

I wanted to add to this regarding the growing of ginger. You need to plant your ginger like you would an iris, with an end with buds on it sticking out of the soil, a couple inches at least. Water it only when it is dry and it needs to be brought in in the winter. This is the second year I have grown mine. The plant part died back during the winter in my greenhouse but was back again this spring and is over 4 ft. tall now. I will harvest my ginger this year, leaving one or two peices to replant and grow again.

o

Citrus master, you cannot grow vanilla (an orchid) from a cured pod. Or rather, you can, if you can flask at home, have room for a 20 foot vine and patience to wait for 7-ish years for a flower that may or may not produce 1 single vanilla pod.

o

If you want to sprout a sweet potato, you have to make sure it has not been treated with an anti-sprouter. Even in an organic stand, I would still ask. I wasted months trying to get one to sprout. I just couldn't get over it - it didn't even decay, partly subvmerged in the water for weeks and weeks. Scary!

o

Basils...all kinds. After stripping the leaves for your dishes, just plant the stems in moist soil. They will take roots in no time.

o

Taro is pretty invasive if it planted in a natural pond or bog area without a means to control it and you live in the deep south. My wife loves the stuff, and was bad about planting it anyplace she could place a piece of it, and now I have patches of Taro that is like a jungle..Looks nice and is a great plant, but once it dies from cool weather its a big mess to clean up all that soggy soft material. I have some taro plants on the back patio planted around the patio slab whose stems are over 7" in diameter, and the tubers are well over 3 or 4 feet long. All it takes is just one good wind and they break off easily. Having pine trees over them don;t help either. As pine needles falling poke holes in the leaves pretty easy, so the leaves are always full of holes or pine needles half way through them. I call it a weed, my wife calls it a plant! Same for Parrots feather. It grows wild in th ditches and bogs all over this area, but I did not know about it until I had just purchased some for my own area around my pond....then I find a heap of this stuff literally growing all over. Alabama classes it a a noxious weed......water garden places sell it as a exotic aquatic plant!

o

I had cut off and cooked the leaves of some organic beets. Put the red root part (what people call the beet) in a plastic bag in the frig and forgot about them. When I found them they were covered with white slime. I threw them in in a weed patch. They rooted sitting on the ground and now there are the biggest most beautiful beet greens on the original red beet roots. (p.s. beet greens are delicious, very nutritious. Cooks like spinach. Just wash off and sautee the greens in a skillet with no fat, just the clinging moisture from washing, until they wilt and tenderize. Serve with butter)

o

On starting the pineapples, twist off the top and cut off all the fruit end so that it is clean. Carefully pull off a bunch (5-8)of the leaves towards the stump end you just cut off and you will see that there are roots already formed on the stem. Put it in a glass of water so that those small roots are submerged. Put the glass in a sunny window and your pineapple will grow like crazy. I have several I started like that in the edge of my fish pond all summer and they are growing like crazy, not potted, just placed where the roots are in the water. I also had a pineapple that I was growing in the top of a betta vase for a couple of years until my betta died. It was in a bright spot and it growed really well. It was a little more impressive than just the regular peace lily!

o

• Posted by Cady 6b/Sunset34 MA (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 20, 04 at 10:31

Anyone mention watercress? Some people stick a bunch in a trickle fountain or other area with running water (even a streamlet feeding a bog). It sprouts roots and grows like crazy.

o

• Posted by Baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 5, 05 at 23:04

Someone mentioned store bought nuts. I have seedlings of walnuts, pecans, almonds, & pistachio trees from store bought seeds. On that coconut look for an sprout around the active eye.

o

• Posted by Jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 6, 05 at 15:45

cool , Baci. Thanks for that info.

o

If you are planting a large ginger root it must be planted horizontally. I often have them start sprouting by laying them on a cool spot on the kitchen counter and covering them with a paper towel or thin cotton dishtowel. The lemon grass can be sprouted with pieces that have been cut very near to the root. Peel away the blades to uncover little bumps that will become roots. Try not to tear the root area when you remove the blades. Cutting them away with a razor blade works best. I always start my rosemary from the fresh herb packets and french taragon and bay laural seem to do fairly well. Sandy

o

• Posted by TimH z8 E.Tx. (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 0:11

You know those funny fruits they call "Star fruit"? A tropical I sometimes find in the store. Anyway, I planted the seeds and got a few nice, mimosa looking trees. Kinda pretty. I have a really nice looking pineapple (quite big now) and it has a fruit on it. It has taken 2 1/2 years to set the fruit. Easy to do though. I have a lemon from seed that set its first fruit 3 years after planting the seed.

o

where can you get unroasted coffee beans?or can you?

o

Unroasted coffee beans can be purchased from many sites on the 'net - just search for "green coffee." The site I've attached a link to has a wonderful page about sprouting coffee and sells green coffee too.

If you don't want a whole bag of green coffee, several eBay sellers are offering Coffea arabica seeds. Since these haven't been processed they're your best chance of getting plants.

Also, since I've stopped by this thread several times and done some other research, I'd like to mention The Don't Throw It, Grow It Book of Houseplants, by Selsam and Peterson, 1977, as another used book that's handy to track down.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Coffee at Home

o

How do you grow the nuts - walnuts, etc.? Do you shell and plant the kernel or plant the whole thing? Thanks.

o

• Posted by Baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 19, 05 at 23:00

Sunrmsilly, you can just plant the walnuts & pecans. I peeled my pistachios. I grew fuzzy almond, which needs to dry before planting. With dried almond, I scarified them first. You can also grow store olives from seed if you get them fresh. They root in peat.

o

sweet potato will not sprout if it is cool must be warm for them to sprout any temps of much under 5oF will hurt them or shut them down. to plant grow vines from a tuber then remove them and either put them in water or dirt to root. strip a bit of stalk to help rooting. plant out in partial shade to full shade and they will do fine a good candidate for shade location food plant. grow a few alfalfa plants to bush and get a purple flower and supply sprouting seed. same for other sprout seeds you use. raw penuts will sprout and make crop in a long enough season. to get onion seed plant some bulbs that are trying to sprout. shallot garlics plant out any that are trying to sprout. lemon grass must be rooted late winter early spring and set out mid spring. A single stalk will become a large clump over summer. beware planting fruit seed particularly apple pear peach grape will probably either make no fruit or seldom make the same fruit they came from graft these from existing fruiting plants grapes are easily rooted. many tomato are hybrid and will not come true from seed heirloom and paste type usually will come true. watermelon may or may not catelope same thing.

o

Here's another..Jerusalem artichokes. I use to live in central IL, and they grew like crazy...died back in winter..came up the next year. They spread like crazy so be advised. Up north they grew to about 6 - 8 feet.

o
Taro...

Taro root is edible, but you MUST COOK IT FULLY. If you don't, it can really hurt your tounge... makes your mouth swollen. I'm chinese, they call taro "yu-tou". I think you can cook it with soy sauce... but I dont know how. It is potato-ish and you don't need starch in dishes with is. I doubt that anyone would eat the roots of their plants though (:

o
RE: Taro

Oh yeah... you can cook the stalk with tofu or something... but again, IT MUST BE FULLY COOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

Korean Melon

o

I have 2 sweet potato plants growing in my garden that I purchased from Home Depot in March. One has deep purple leaves and one is verigated with a pink hue. They are both beautiful. Will they come back next year? We have pretty mild winters here although it occasionally drops down below freezing but when it does its just for a few hours. I was wondering if I should mulch them well or if they are considered an annual and are destined to die anyway.

o

Makes me think back to when I was a kid. My mom had a window box sitting on the back patio. Called the starter bed for 'garbage gardening'. We had potatoes, sweet potatoes, grapes, dill, all citrus seeds, avocado, anything that came from the market and had a seed, would start in that starter bed. Then we'd pot it up and see what happened... Good fun.
Find an oriental market and explore fresh vegetables and fruits. Star fruit is a great one to grow from seed.
LU

o

You can grow sugarcane from the stalk. I did it last year. They are so easy to grow. TT

o

Yoyo-- how did you get sugarcane to take root?

Also, to you who have grown nopale cactus -- prickley Pear -- what's your secret? mine either shrivel or rot.

Add kiwi to the list. I spread seeds on top of moist soil with bottom heat and artificial light. Germination in three weeks.

o

Anyone have any tips on growing cactus from the "pads" they sell at the grocery store?

o

The spanish name for Taro is "Malanga" Thats how all the grocery stores lable them here in Miami.
They are a very attractive plant I might add.

Regards,

-Jc

o
Water chestnuts

Where can you purchase water chestnuts for growing? Thanks!

o

Hi! New Member, new gardener, newlywed - on a budget! Can you plant carrot tops and actually get a carrot if you wait long enough? If so, any tips? I just got some carrots with leaves, so if no one answers I guess I'll try it, and answer my own post, if inquiring minds want to know! Thanks!

o

Lest we forget the humble peach and apricot. A real challenge to crack the pit without damaging the seed inside. Maybe it can be done without cracking the outer shell. I have jest had better luck cracking it open with a hammer and then planting the inner seed.
Thanx for listening and keep 'em plants growin.
Lois

o

I just went to Ranch 99 market (asian supermarket) yesterday, and saw that they have lotus tubers for $1.99 a pound. I bought one and tossed it into my little water garden and we'll see what happens... I figured I could afford the less-than-$1 it cost to find out!

Amanda 'romando'

o

I bought fresh water chestnuts at a local asian market. They just sprouted. I also bought a bag of white lotus seed. They look like empty white shells: split open on top with a little hole at the other end. A couple looked like there was something inside so I put them in water. Has anyone seen these? Tried growing these?

Alison

o

Not sure about white lotus seeds, but I bought ornamental lotus pods in a department store floral display once, took out the seeds, sprouted them, had them growing along nicely till I prematurely set them out and something ate them!!!

o

alzypelican, how did you plant your water chestnuts? I saw them at an asian store too, and was wondering how to go about planting them. Thanks.

o

alaskanamazon --
i had a pad sprout some baby pads from its tip when just sitting on a windowsill. i've also grown them by putting the end of the pad that used to be attatched to its mother plant in the soil, the rest of the pad sticking out (like any cutting). they are not very cold-hardy; maybe to 28 degrees or so...

o

Popcorn! Don't know about the microwavable, but the old fashion type in a bag, like Jolly Time or Orville Reddenbacher is plantable too, but remember, you either have to pollinate on your own or have a big enough field of them that they'll pollinate traditionally.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Garden

o

I've grown nopale cactus pads (prickley Pear) in my yard. I just root-toned them and stuck them in the soil, the stem end down about an inch or so in the ground with a little stick to help hold it up. pretty much left it alone and after a few weeks it started to grow roots and new branch "pads"

In the end my dog decided I didn't need this plant growing in my yard and rearanged the garden. Keep meaning to try again one of these days.

o

I am trying to save seed from different kinds of winter squash. Tonight we had a varity I hadn't tried before called "Carnival"It was just the right size for myself and my husband. It was delicious. Hope the seed doesn"t dissapoint me!

o

one of our friends told us instead of planting in two or 3 rows for the corn, plant in a circle, thats what they do, and their garden turns out fine, soooo that's what we are gonna do this year. i think it'll get everyone talking!! **giggle giggle** of course we live in a small town on a big ol corner lot!!! close to a popular church in this town so it'll be funny!! :')) they'll for sure think i lost it!! i got ta the 3rd set of leaves on my mango, i'm sooo happy and more are peeking out!! including some on the mid half of the stem, to get mine growing i put them in a 1 ltr bottle of peat moss and watered it and i punched a hole in it so i could close it that way, not to tape it, they LOVED that!! sprouted in no time!! but i pryed the outer shell loose carefully and put only the seed in, :'))

o
Saturday Plant Swap

I really enjoyed myself at the sway. It was my first one and I met a lot of new people and it was really nice meeting people that are just really friendly. I also want to thank the ones for the specific plants that I asked for I will really enjoy them, I appreciate it. I hope to keep in touch and who knows, maybe meet somewhere and have a soda or for those who drinks coffee, coffee. See you on the web, Wanda

o

tamarind...from tamarind candies (you can find them in asian stores) that have the seeds in the middle. Some asian stores also sell fresh tamarind. but the candied ones or the ones in cartons grow very quickly..don't really need to pay attention to them they sprout pretty fast. I've planted some before but they died because I didn't water them for weeks. I was hoping I could use them for bonsai.

o

How did this thread end up here?

o

Is there a website or email group that continues with this thread: I've read this thread both here and in the frugal forum, and since I noticed the person in the frugal forum really wanted the thread to stop, and both have been inactive for a few years... I imagine folks don't want to restart here, but I'm interested in a handful of plants, not mentioned here, that I imagine could be grown from pieces of grocery store vegetables, like:
a. broccoli from a bit of stalk?
b. belgian endives from their stalks( since lettuce and cabbage work from their stalk)?
c. kale, collard, mustard greens that don't end in just a leaf tip, but are still connected, thus have about a 1/2 inch to an inch of stalk --would that grow?
d. how about brussel sprouts bought on their stalk, would the stalk grow brussels if planted?
e. will a turnip or rutabega root grow if you plant the greens with 1/2 inch of stalk, or even if you just plant that course stalk with no greens?

Again, I'm just listing my curiousities here, but I don't expect the thread to be reopened and my questions answered, --I'd just like to be referred to a website or email list that specificly focuses on this if you found out about one.
Thanks, ~Diana

o

I know it's nine years later, but this post is so good, I keep it on my website for others to see.

After nine years, I learned something too. Your pineapple experiment did probably work. They simply don't look any different after 3 months. Only after I gave up watering mine, and then tried to throw it away the following spring, did I disover roots were growing. Small roots, but roots. lol

I got the idea for the pineapple from you. If you want to see the directions I gave on how to do it, it's the next page from the link below. It's called "The Potting Bench."

So, even if you and I were unsuccessful, this is still a great idea. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: The link to this on my website

o

Ginger is a bulb. I just buried it in potting soil and it grew. Unfortunately, it's a tropical plant.

To bring this back to bogs, I've long thought of buying whole cranberries and planting them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here