Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hardin_gw

Is it safe to use A/C condensation for bog?

hardin
14 years ago

I am wanting to plant a small bog garden. The area I want to build it isn't far from my A/C drainage. I can attach a small length of hose or PVC pipe and water can drip into bog garden helping with moisture that will be needed, especially in our hot summers. So I assume it is safe?

Comments (6)

• mastergardenerfrank
    14 years ago

It is distilled water from the condenser, so it should be ok. Double check with an AC company to ask what they might clean the coils with when servicing. You may have to re route for a couple days after a cleaning.
    Hope this helps.
    Frank

• cannahavana
    14 years ago

I collect it using a pan under the drain pipe and have been doing so for the past 5 years. It is great when your in a dry spell with no rain.

Rebecca

• wally_1936
    14 years ago

The only problem could be when you run clorox to keep the drain clear.

• hardin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I have never had to run any bleach and never had a serviceman out, so that won't be a problem. Thanks for answering. It just seemed a shame not using a free source of water for such a good cause. As they say, every little bit helps.

• pjtexgirl
    14 years ago

I collect mine in a rainbarrel :) PJ

• conjuay
    14 years ago

The drain of my AC runs directly into a planter and was my first choice when I wanted to set up a bog...but the drain is on the north side of the house and is in constant shade.
    So the bog is being planned for the front yard.

Rather than run chemicals to clean the drains, I will occasionally take a car tire stem the size of the outlet pipe and a compressed air tank and blow air into the pipe to remove sludge/residue. The air breaks up any accumulations and it drains out within two minutes -No chemical run off that way.

Sponsored