Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gunnera tips...

Posted by rattler (My Page) on
Thu, May 4, 06 at 7:17

I'm on the Essex coast in the U.K. and inherited a Gunnera with the house I've just bought. It doesn't look as if the plant was covered in the winter and although there is sign of some new growth from some of the stumps others are either shrunken, solid & brown - very "woody" or are quite "mushy" and equally unhealthy. Can I remove these apparently dead stumps and if so, how?

I've little idea how old the plant is but from what I've found on the net about them I know I'd like to try to keep it if possible and maybe nurse it back to health if I can.

Thanks for any advice you may have..

David.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gunnera tips...

leave it alone. The stumps are what the plant grows from. Any "helpful" mucking about will only succeed in killing it.
Oh, I have about ten of them and have had them for many years.

o
RE: Gunnera tips...

JUST LEAVE IT BE. IT WILL COME BACK ALTHOUGH IT MIGHT LOOK A LITTLE SCRAWNY RIGHT NOW.

GOOD LUCK, SKW

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here