Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jiggreen

suggestions for a medium sized shrub that likes soggy feet?

jiggreen
19 years ago

hi! not quite sure if i am posting this to the right forum...but here goes.....we have an area next to our front porch that i want to put a medium sized shrub in. i had ideas of what i wanted for that area, and had my husband dig the hole..the hole has been dug now for about 4 weeks ( i couldnt make up my mind on what plant to put there!) and i've noticed that this hole never drains completely. i have tried adding organic matter, enlarging the hole, and still its a mud puddle until the next rain when it becomes a pond again. i cannot modify the hole too much more as it is boxed in on 2 sides by porch and house and the other two sides by existing landscaping. if anyone has suggestions as to what i can put in there, please let me know. the area gets full sun until approximately 1pm, then its in shade as the sun moves over the house. i need something that will get maybe 3 feet wide by 5 foot high, and have some visual impact and in a perfect world...maybe some winter interest. also, the soil around the improved hole is clay, which i believe is leading to my drainage problem, but i cant redig entire bed. thanks in advance! jeana

Comments (5)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional