Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanie_gardener

Need Help with Elephant Ears

jeanie_gardener
17 years ago

I purchased 3 imperial taro plants from ebay and received them last week. Planted each in a container of potting soil and vermiculite and fertilized with osomocote. They are not doing well. The one leaf they each had is shriveled and I am wondering if it will sprout new growth since it is not a bulb. It is watered well - the soil is very wet with the rain we had the other day. Days are in the 60s and 70s and nights are 50s. Right now I have them under a grow light. What can I do to save these?

Comments (9)

• sal_mando
    17 years ago

If you don't get any replies here, you can try posting this over at the aroid forum. That's where some die-hard elephant ear people hang out.
    Good luck,
    Bob

• jeannieg
    17 years ago

I have all my Alocasias and Colocasia (Taros)in pots with no holes in them.I have the Mickey Mouse Taro in a 5 gallon pot (no holes) and it is finally doing fine.
    Thanks, Jeannie :)

• jeanie_gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's been six days since my post above. Yesterday I noticed that out of the stem where the dead leaf was emerged another leaf so that one is well on its way to recovery. And this morning, another one did the same. So, hopefully the third one will survive as well. Thanks for your replies.

• durgandurgan
    17 years ago

I planted one in an 18 inch pot on 1 May 2006 and kept in my small greenhouse. The root mass had no sign of life when I planted. I planted it in the outside in the ground on 23 May 2006. When removing it from the pot there were numerous shoots coming from the eyes all around the root mass. Every effort was taken to remove from the starting pot with minimum disturbance of the root mass. The green leaves were just starting to protrude from the top about half an inch long. I must admit is is a slow starter, but the green shoots are growing a little even in the two days it has been in full sun. The planting hole is a mixture of compost and, clay and some wood chips to facilitate drainage. This is my first time growing this plant, and I am looking forward to see how large it gets. The link is to pictures of the root mass at planting time in the greenhouse.

Here is a link that might be useful: The left picture is the leaf side plant upwards

• webfeeet
    17 years ago

elephant ears do much better if they are planted in the top of your pond filter. You can see ours at the link below.
    At the end of the growing season it was over 9 feet tall!!

Here is a link that might be useful: chek out the pond scum plants

• wilktitus
    17 years ago

I ALWAYS PLANT MINE OUTSIDE IN A WINDOW BOX THAT GETS MOSTLY SHADE. THEY ALWAYS DO FINE. SOMETIMES THE INITIAL LEAVES LOOK PUNY. I WOULD TAKE IT FROM THE POT AND PLANT IT IN THE GROUND.

HOPE THIS HELPS. SKW

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    17 years ago

They may be getting a bit too much sun. Try backing off the sun. I noticed the same thing with mine. Backed off on the sun and the new leaves are fine.

Tom

• julierwendt_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I was gifted an Elephant Ear plant for Mother's day. It was doing well for awhile but since we still have cool nights here in Wisconsin I have had to bring it in the house, under sun lamps. While I was gone from home the cat chewed at it. It had three leaves, he chewed on each of their stems!! (Yes, will be getting rid of the cat) So my question is do I cut off the where he chewed hoping there will be new growth or what?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Julie, just give it a bit of time....
    new leaves will grow once the warm weather arrives.

Josh

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area