Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how moist is too moist?

Posted by bashazaborski ontario 6a (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 07 at 9:22

How wet should the peat moss/sand mixture be in a bog garden? I have a perforated pipe inserted into the mix and the water level is within 1 inch of the surface of the mix. Is this too wet? Bog is 24 inches deep.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how moist is too moist?

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Wed, May 23, 07 at 12:41

Sounds like you're good to go! Standing water you want to avoid otherwise moist is good.

o
RE: how moist is too moist?

I'm struggling with how wet is too wet, too!

We have a low lot, and a raised septic system. We have a "pond"/muckhole that was scratched out of the ground and represents the level of groundwater, it's no more than 24" deep when full (on ledge). It is only dry in the droughtiest of times. And there is no shortage of frogs, toads, salamanders and mosquitos here. ;)

I've lost 3 Ligularia, Astilboides tabularis, Japanese Iris in the past year/two. I'm discouraged because I don't think I'm selecting the sorts of plants that are able/willing to accept seasonal deluges. Have I misjudged my plant selections or have I failed to offer them the sort of frost/heave protection they require?

Hope you're able to help because I KNOW I have a "boss" site if only I can zero in on the right plants. I'm nervous about more "invasive"/aggressive varieties as the area in question borders a magnificent natural fern dell, replete with all manner of native ephemerals... and I'm unwilling to jeopardize them for the sake of something "showy". (I'm thinking of Petasites japonica; love the variegated sort, but am very afraid of it "getting away"!!) I've been to Naumkeag.

Mostly partial shade/shade... the plants in the sunny area (also higher) are doing fine. Japanese Iris, Veronicastrum, hardy Hibiscus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here