Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwoods_gw

Proposed faq

kwoods
17 years ago

Trying to get a faq for this forum. Dunno if we'll get it but any input would be appreciated. Looking forward to hearing from some members who have been great contributors to this forum in the past.

Here's what we have so far.

RE: Bog Garden

* Posted by: yarthkin 6-7a (My Page) on Tue, May 9, 06 at 17:20

Okay, Posted a note to the suggestions forum.

For the FAQ, what about this:

What is a Bog?

A bog is generally characterized by the following features:

* Sunny

* Permanantly Moist (not flooded)

* Covered with sphagnum peat moss

* Acidic

* Low Nutrient

It often contains rare plants such as sundews, pitcherplants, and terrestrial orchids. For more information on the difference between other kinds of wetlands like Fens, Swamps, Marshes, Vernal Pools and more visit:

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq4120.html

What is a Bog Garden?

There is some amount of controversy about this, since commonly many people refer to any wet area as a "bog"; whereas scientifically a bog is a very specific and rare ecosystem. For the purposes of this list there are two different acceptable definitions:

1. Acid peat bog garden. A "true" bog garden which seeks to replicate the natural bogs, kettle holes, muskeg found in nature. Generally uses 50/50 peat sand mix with some drainage. Soil is moist but rarely flooded. Usually placed in full to part sun. Used to grow carnivores, bog orchids, acid loving nutrient poor plants, cranberries, blueberries, etc.

2. Wet high nutrient bog with little drainage. Replicates marsh or swamp or.... anything really down to tropical mangrove. Grows pond marginals and things that like "wet feet". Can also be called a "Marsh Garden", "Swamp Garden", "Fen Garden", etc. In your posts, we recommend being clear about which kind of "bog garden" you mean since plants that live in one, often cannot survive in the other.

How can I improve the wet area on my property?

Generally, true wetlands are self maintaining. They don't require any improvement and most of us would feel lucky to have them. In fact, making certain changes can even be illegal. That said, here are some things that can sometimes be done:

1. Remove any invasive exotics like purple loosestrife, or multiflora rose, etc.

2. Plant a buffer of locally native plants to prevent sedimentation and contamination from runoff.

3. Ask for suggestions to specific problems in this forum

Looks good to me. Short and to the point. Waddya think?

Comments (12)

• sal_mando
    17 years ago

I think this is a great idea.
    You'll need to put in a lot of details about how to build a bog. Especially about how deep to make it. I mean exactly how deep to make it, if you know know what I'm saying.
    I seem to recall that at one time Fred was going to work on FAQs. I wonder what happened with that.
    Bob

• terrestrial_man
    17 years ago

I saw that original posting.
    I would either keep that original posting current by addressing it as often as necessary to keep it at the top or hopefully the faq will become a reality.
    Do people really use the faq?????
    Sometimes I wonder if anyone even knows how to google??
    How about Let Google!!!!! 1 and a 2 and a 3, here's Lawrence!

• yarthkin
    17 years ago

Regarding details of making a bog, that information is already out there. I'd prefer to just link to it.

For example, Rob's page is a good one with detailed instructions:

http://pitcherplant.com/bog_making.html

I've got a slightly different philosophy about it, but anyone who's seen Rob's gardens would agree that his method works.

For that matter, if people really feel it is necessary to have the instructions in the FAQ, I'm going to see Rob this weekend and I could probably ask him if we could use his diagram, provided that we give him credit.

Also, I'd freely acknowledge that Fred seems to be more of an expert than I am (Based on his posts and plant list) so I would definitely encourage any additions he might have. (Hey Fred, are ya out there?)

Anyway, for now my main goal is simply to have a FAQ to refer people to so that we don't have to keep answering the "What is a bog?" question. While this is one of the things I feel we are called to teach people through this forum, I also feel that basics should be laid out and agreed upon so we all know what we are talking about. I think it also might be valuable to have it defined in such a way that we know when to send folks to the aquatic plants or ponds forum, even though I realize there will always probably be overlap.

hopefully all this is still coherent even though I haven't had coffee yet...

Lonnie

• kwoods
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You're on the right track Lonnie...

I don't think they allow outside links in faqs anymore but not sure. We may have to "rewrite" some content from some of the links we refer people to most often. We probably do need to have a "buildabog" section.

"I seem to recall that at one time Fred was going to work on FAQs"

Yup, I remember. I was trying to get Fred's attention (as well as yours Sal aka Bob ;o)) with the "great contributors" line. Maybe we should send him some GW mail through one of his old posts? See if he has anything.

........and it's 18", no more, no less.

• kwoods
    Original Author
    17 years ago

... also might want to include a "so-you-say-you-have-a-wet-spot?" section?

We get a lot of that too. We could kind of define the various wet systems and differentiate them from bog. Short and sweet is definitely best but want to cover the most asked and that is one of 'em.

• yarthkin
    17 years ago

Kwoods, I agree but I might, uh, change the wording of the question... It's just far too amusing phased like that. ; )

• yarthkin
    17 years ago

Nothing Else on this FAQ discussion? Fred?

Incidentally, it appears that the suggestions forum has also magically vanished. If it reappears maybe it'd ber halpful for other folks to go there and second my suggestion for a Bog FAQ.

Also, I feel we should remove the Koi Ponk link and add the Carniverous Plant link.

Lonnie

• sal_mando
    17 years ago

Yeah, get rid of that koi pond link.
    Here's a potential FAQ:
    I am a masochist. Can I grow gunnera?
    Absolutely!

By the way, Kwoods, I am honored that you included me with the 'great contributors'. Thanks for the recognition.

• kwoods
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'll second ya on the suggestions forum Lonnie. Only reason I didn't before was I wanted it to stay near the top 'til you got a response from IVillians.

You got good stuff Bob, you should post more often. Everyone should, especially any lurkers... we know yer out there.

• kwoods
    Original Author
    17 years ago

...or I will

Here is the request. Please add any comments, thanks

• gwtamara
    17 years ago

Hi kwoods,

Regarding the FAQ, could you contact me at email below? Thanks!

Tamara

Here is a link that might be useful: Email me

• fluffygrue
    17 years ago

Just browsing - a FAQ would be lovely! The info I'm after is what plants do well in a proper acidic/low-nutrient bog, besides carnivores and cranberries. A list of suitable plants would be super. :)

Melanie

Sponsored
VA's Foremost Professional Roofing & Siding Craftsmen