Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baccalynnwv

New to Bog Gardening :)

baccalynnwv
17 years ago

I am kind of excited about this forum. I have this quite messy boggy area in my front yard. It has some cattails in it that occured there naturally and some clumps of grass :). It has water and slimy green mud most of the year, but sometimes dries to a small puddle or two.

I have been wondering what to do with it for the year that I have lived here and never even considered having a bog garden.

Should I consider this area a good place for a bog garden?

Can anyone recommend some good plants for my zone 5b in the mountains of central west va?

Are nasty insects a problem with bog gardening?

The frogs are so thick in this thing that you can not stand within 10 feet or else your ear drums will hurt!

Here is a picture of where it is. Not a good picture, will get a better one tonight. The grass is not so tall around it right now so you can see it a little better. The boggy mess is right where all the tall grass is.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (10)

• sal_mando
    17 years ago

That's your front yard with that view? I can only imagine what the back yard must be like! Wow.
    If you try to manipulate it you might throw everything off balance. I'd leave it alone, since it sounds like paradise to me.
    But I'm a biologist first and gardener second. And I'm not the one trying to live with a big wet spot in my yard.
    This wasn't a helpful response.
    Bob

• kwoods
    17 years ago

Nice!

I would try and find out/inventory what native plants and animals there are there already. Then I would try and incorporate additional, interesting plants that would be found in that type of system. I'm certain there are lots of interesting marginals and other things that like wet feet native to the WV mountains.

"Are nasty insects a problem with bog gardening?"

That's why you wanna make sure you keep all those frogs as happy as possible!

• baccalynnwv
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I'll try to post some picks and let you all tell me what is there. I have no idea when it comes to these types of plants.

I really don't care much for all the tall grass around it so I thought I would try to get more variety. I thought it would make an interesting focal point for my front yard as well in addition to the wonderful view that I have!

But we shall see. I may just be lazy again this year and let it grow wild.

Here is a link to some other views from my house. I donÂt have a bad view from any window! And no neighbors!

Here is a link that might be useful: My yard

• terrestrial_man
    17 years ago

It looks like you have a formible challenge ahead!

Is the property yours or do you rent? If you rent you may have limitations as to what you can actually do to the property.

Just how many acres are you dealing with?
    What kind of wildlife have you seen visiting the wetlands?

I really believe that you need the help of people who have knowledge of the ecology of the area. I would think an academic would be my first choice to approach on developing a plan on how to manage your natural systems.

The University of Virginia has an excellent ecological staff. Perhaps they can help or provide assistance? I would throw out a fleece to see if you get the feedback you need.
    Here is a link to that department:
    University of Virginia Environmental Sciences

Maybe they can use your property for a study area and in the course of doing so provide you with a profile on approaching an effective management of it as well as recommendations on possible improvements that will serve both your family and the other life forms that reside there.

It is all just a matter of time, I am sure that with your faith these matters will be resolved and your effort at approaching a basic plan on making your living space more livable will be rewarded.

• kwoods
    17 years ago

Can't go wrong with Cardinal flower to prettify things!

Here's a LINK to the WV DNR website. This page has lots of good resources for you including contact info for native plant nurseries as well as the West Virginia Native Plant Society.

Here is an overview of WV's physiographic provinces. Figuring out what your geology is will help figure out what plant communities should be there.

Here is a survey of Big Run Bog which I know is in WV. It has some pretty cool species listed that you might be able to grow if you have the right conditions (or alter small pockets slightly). Google Big Run Bog or Dolly Sods or Monongahela National Forest. Also Cranberry Glades and here is a story that may interest you re: Blister Swamp

Here's another good WV Natural resouces site that has lots of useful links. At the bottom you will see a link for WV aquatic plants.

There's tons of info out there on what you want to do. Good luck with it and HAVE FUN!

• baccalynnwv
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info. I live near Cranberry Glades. Love Dolly Sods! I have been to both several times! I never even thought about going to Cranberry to get ideas (not plants).

This is really just a little patch in my front yard. Nothing really big. There are several small patches around the property (47.6 acres) that are pretty much the same. Just water has run through and settled... for years... and years... lol.. Everything else around it is horribly dry.

The one in my front yard is probably only about 25 feet long and at it's widest, 10 or less feet.

I guess I really just want to get rid of the tall nasty grass that I have to look past every day. I have some new pictures that I took last night. Probably the only thing to work with might be the cattails which I would leave alone. The water depth ranges from several inches to just two or three but the ground around is always mushy and not really pleasant to walk around in bare feet. My two year old son and 6 month old golden retriever would tell you differently though. LOL!!

I'll check those links out. Great ideas! Thanks!

This is the view from my front steps about 15 feet away. Have to cross the little stream of water that constantly runs from it every day. Planning on putting a culvert in there some day.
    {{gwi:429633}}

To the immediate left of the first picture.
    {{gwi:429635}}

and there are the cattails from last year. I think that is an autumn olive bush in the midst there. Darn things grow anywhere and everywhere!
    {{gwi:429636}}

{{gwi:429638}}

By the way... do I leave the old cattail stalks or cut them down now that all the seeds are gone?

• baccalynnwv
    Original Author
    17 years ago

By the way...all in full sun.

But I have some good ideas now. I guess all I needed was someone to point me in the right direction!

• kwoods
    17 years ago

Looks like heaven.

Like Bob, I see a lot of beauty there already. I would encourage the stuff you want, dicourage the stuff you don't and not change tooooo much too fast. Adding things like Joe pye weed, Cardinal flower, turtlehead will give you some instant results and not change the ecology much. You sure found a nice spot.

• yarthkin
    17 years ago

I'd agree with most of what everyone else is saying here. Most of us would give our left reproductive organ to own a site like that. ; )

As to management, there are several things I'd encourage:

1) Identify what you've got using wildflower guides or other resources. Your local agriculture extention office can help you identify plants (or you can post photos of them and we'll do our best).

2) Eliminate invasive exotics (like the autumn olive - if that's what it is.)

3) Eliminate Nutrient (fertilizer) Runoff! Your description already suggests a high nutrient load. Algae and cattails are a sign of too much nitrogen and phosphates. (but don't feel you need to remove them, as they are natures way of trying to bring the system back into balance).

4)Grasses/sedges are good. The aesthetic americans have developed of wanting an articifically mowed or landscaped area is a relatively recent invention. It derived as a status symbol. There is a strong new aesthetic developing which values more natural looking environments. You could choose to be in the "in" crowd and keep your grasses.

5) Selectively reintroduce wildflowers native to your area. Here are some species to consider:
    Iris virginica, with spectacular blue flowers.

Lobelia cardinalis, Cardinal Flower

Lobelia siphilitica, Blue Lobelia

Rhexia virginica - Meadow Beauty (pink)

Eriophorum virginicum - Cotton Grass. Yes, another grass, but has tufts like white cotton that look fantastic. (You might have seen it at cranberry glades)

Eupatorium purpureum, Sweetscented Joepyeweed. HUGE plumes of purple fragrant flowers that butterflies love.

Vernonia noveboracensis - New York Ironweed. Dark Purple flowers in late fall.

6)CREP(Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program). Believe it or not, you may be able to get money or reimbursement for certain restoration and preservation of your wetland. This site can tell you more:

http://www.fsa.usda.gov/dafp/cepd/crep.htm

7)OPTIONAL/ADVANCED - One way to encourage a healthier landscape is to burn the meadow area in late winter / very early spring. There are agencies that can educate you on the proper way to do this, but don't attempt it yourself without experience or assistance! The general concept is to choose a low fire risk day in late winter. Notify the fire Department. Mow or plow around the edges of the site to create a "buffer" and wet the edges down. Then, burn from the outside in (so it stays in the circle).

I hope all this is helpful to you. If you do choose to enhance the site, please send photos of the progress. I'd also want to add my voice to the others that suggest that doing nothing except appreciating it, is also a valid and worthwhile option.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Native Plant Nursery (Hyla Brook)

• baccalynnwv
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok. You have my promise to not change to much! I'll try and introduce some color to it maybe and leave most everything the same. Slow changes... which will work out rather well as I am short on money!

The autumn olive... I have been on a mission to yank all of these things out within 100 or so feet of my house since I moved in! Don't know why I haven't done so with this one yet.

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County