Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old sink bad for a bog?

Posted by ilbasso_74 (My Page) on
Mon, May 8, 06 at 13:23

I just replaced my kitchen sink and was noticing that the old one, while shallow, could be placed in the ground and used as a shallow mini bog. It already has 2 nice drain holes. I'm not sure what it is made of (haven't had a chance to really look at it). I don't know if rust is from faucets and pipes and such or if it is the sink. I'm hesitant to put my carnivores in it.

Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old sink bad for a bog?

I think it would probably work fine as long a there isn't copper. Iron/rust isn't a problem, as there is a naturally high iron content to most bogs. In fact, they used to mine iron from bogs there was so much of it.

Copper is a different story. It can be damaging to plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: More about Bog Iron...

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Tue, May 9, 06 at 13:22

Why not? Sounds funky!

o

You could also set it into a legged frame and have it in a nice display on the patio or whereever and actually not close off the drains but use a loose fitting drain plug so that the water will leak out and you could collect it. That way you could flood it and when it drains all out flood it again or even let it dry just a tad! Drainage is important in the bog!! My Sarrencia psittacina is only in a one gallon pot that I flood and it drains out and it is doing great. (will get around to images soon i hope!)
Plants that like it higher in the sphagnum such as VFT will do very well and you could even vary the height of the media using rocks or what have you to make the surface uneven so that the lower spots will stay wetter longer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here