Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Can I Plant Here?

Posted by Cheryl z9 CA-Northern (My Page) on
Mon, May 3, 04 at 13:57

Hello all,

I have an area that stays almost constantly wet. Plus, it's under a leaky faucet used for the garden hose. It gets a little sun in the morning and full afternoon sun.

I planted a calla lily there that succombed to soft rot. I was really bummed.

Do you know what I can grow here? I have been reading about elephant ears as a possibility. If I put an established elephant ears plant, do you think it would rot?

The house is in a very marshy area. I had a stamped concrete patio put in the back yard. The contractor had no idea where all the water was "coming from" when he kept trying to lay the gravel.

I hope to tap into your expertise.

Thanks for the help!

Cheryl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Can I Plant Here?

I would love to have an area that stayed wet all year! If I did I would plant Peltiphyllum peltatum(indian rhubarb) a truly beautiful CA native that loves wet. I was just at the Stybing Arboreteum/Botanical GArdens in Golden Gate Park and the CA native area has a beautiful brook running thru it planted with bog and streamside plants. There is a beautiful stand of P. peltatum, plus lots of equisetum, sedges, cattails, tules (if I remember correctly). not sure where you could buy it. But the Arboreteum has aplant sale coming up I believe. Here is another source for wetland/bog plants.

Claire

Here is a link that might be useful: Freshwater farms

o

• Posted by Cheryl z9 CA-Northern (My Page) on
    Sat, May 8, 04 at 19:02

Thank you so much Claire! I will look into those. Lots of internet research ahead. =)

o

I would try taro's or variants of the elephant ear. They love boggy conditions though they dont like full sun. Filtered light yes. Also day lilies love to be wet and sun. Really it dpends on what you are trying to accomplish. You want height or something smaller and bushy or thin and elegant....

Many choices for wet areas. Here is one useful site though I have many:

http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/wgmelton.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here