Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some type of ornamental grass for wet area?

Posted by nadastimer z6PA (My Page) on
Mon, May 31, 04 at 15:14

We have wet weather springs in our back yard. There is one spring that is there almost all the time unless we're having a terrible drought. DH and I have some plans for the are and I would love to plant some cattails or something tall and grasslike in this area. Any suggestions that would work for us?

I see cattails out when we're driving around but none anywhere where we really could get a few. Can they be bought?

~Leslie~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some type of ornamental grass for wet area?

Once you have cattails or certain grasses (like canary reed grass) you'll never ever be rid of them. While I'm not suggesting you not plant cattails or grasses, only that you take a minute to think if you'll ever want to do something else with this area.

Yes Cattails and other grassy bog plants are available, just contact your local pond supplier. They are also available through most any mail order company that deals in bog plants.

o

I just did research that said cattails need at least a 1/2-1" of water to thrive. Right now the back yard is pretty soggy but the area we plant to put the cattails or whatever in isn't huge. This part of the yard is almost always wet because of a spring. We've even thought about digging down for a pond but not right now. Anyway, if we planted them, they wouldn't spread too far, right? And if they did, they would die after the water dried up unless we made sure we saturated the area? And if we want to be rid of them in the future, we could try digging up what we can and put plastic down to stop re-growth, right?

We just realized there are some cattails growing up at my DH's family camp. So we may be able to get some from there....Really don't know of any pond stores in the area and Lowe's doesn't have anything that I can tell. Most of the grasses are for semi-moist to dry. They probably wouldn't do good in this spot when we're getting a lot of rain.

Thanks!

o

Leslie, cattails are also easy to grow from seed. Just collect some of the catkins when they are mature and plant the cotton.

o

Have dry in summer and wet in winter with shade area in yard. What type of grasses would you plant in such a problem spot? How about bamboo!

o

Acorus or sweet flag is a grass family that does well in moist conditions, but with regular water it will also be fine in normal soil. Carex is another grass family that would be suitable, but I'm not sure if it's hardy in your area. I think some might.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here